Axis and Allies rules clarification

Original Axis & Allies 1984-2004
Post Reply
Heavy_Mechanized
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:42 am

Axis and Allies rules clarification

Post by Heavy_Mechanized » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:57 pm

Ok, I am going to roll with this a minute, club rules aside, it does state that the defender rolls like the attacker rolled, which was in columns, but it also states that all combats are to be rolled simultaneousely, so is it possible a person could reasonably conclude that the roll by columnm method was a way to teach the beginner the way to cause/inflict casualties and how to remove them? Even though the fourth edition is a differant game, it does specifically state all attacking and defending dice are to be rolled at once, so could this rule have to been made very clear as to correct that issue from the second edition game? Also, where in the rules does it specifically state you must have controlled both sides of the Suez canal in the beginning of your turn to combat or non combat thru it? I am not trying to be too confrontational and respect what you do, but also, could it also be the case that if the rules are left vague that maybe there is no true answer, unles :roll: s the rules were updated to deal with such issues. and of course you play by the rules of each club. And thankyou for the welcoming !!!

User avatar
Krieghund
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Axis and Allies rules clarification

Post by Krieghund » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:03 pm

Heavy_Mechanized wrote:Ok, I am going to roll with this a minute, club rules aside, it does state that the defender rolls like the attacker rolled, which was in columns, but it also states that all combats are to be rolled simultaneousely, so is it possible a person could reasonably conclude that the roll by columnm method was a way to teach the beginner the way to cause/inflict casualties and how to remove them?
The rules themselves are a little ambiguous on this point, but the example of combat on page 25 of the rules clearly shows casualties being selected after each column of fire is resolved. This removes any ambiguity.
Heavy_Mechanized wrote:Even though the fourth edition is a differant game, it does specifically state all attacking and defending dice are to be rolled at once, so could this rule have to been made very clear as to correct that issue from the second edition game?
This rule was probably changed to correct the issue, but from a game mechanics perspective rather than resolving an ambiguity. It just works better to select casualties after all units have fired, mainly because of examples like yours.
Heavy_Mechanized wrote:Also, where in the rules does it specifically state you must have controlled both sides of the Suez canal in the beginning of your turn to combat or non combat thru it? I am not trying to be too confrontational and respect what you do, but also, could it also be the case that if the rules are left vague that maybe there is no true answer, unles :roll: s the rules were updated to deal with such issues.
It is not specifically stated, merely implied. The Panama Canal section does explicitly state that that canal territory must be controlled at the beginning of your turn in order to be used. The Suez Canal section then states that both countries bordering the canal must be controlled. It does not, however, restate the restrictions on canal movement from the previous section. By stating only the exception regarding control of two territories, the implication is that the Suez Canal would be treated like the Panama Canal in all other respects.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest