Quick question abot revised rules for A&A: Classic

Original Axis & Allies 1984-2004
Dio

Quick question abot revised rules for A&A: Classic

Post by Dio » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:14 pm

Heya

I just got my forum account, and have read the posts in this forum.

I am the proud owner of A&A: Classic, which me and my friends are going to play tomorrow. I've played this game quite alot, but it's been almost a year since i played it the last time.

On my rulebook it says: "Second Edition Rules", but i am wondering - was there ever a 3rd edition? (I know about the new games, and i'm going to buy the A&A: Anniversary Edition, when my poor student wallet can afford it).

Reason for me asking this, is that i can remember from when we played it before, that the game often came down to 2 or 3 early battles which pretty much determined the outcome of the game.

I remember that my cousin once told me, that there were a new set of rules out, which gave an alternative set-up to try, and changed some of the rules (i know about the "Optional Rules" and thats not it).

I've also read that some of you suggested trying the A&A: Revised rules, for the Classic game, but is that even possible?

Thanks in advance, and thank you for a truly great game. :)

Oh, and sorry if i mispelled or used bad grammar - this is not my native language.

Sincerely
Rasmus

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:18 pm

Welcome, Dio!

The Third Edition rules were published with the CD-ROM. They made only a few changes:
  1. 1. Defending subs can submerge or retreat from combat. A submerged sub remains in the sea zone and resurfaces after combat.
    2. Planes can retreat from an amphibious assault.
    3. There can be multiple AA guns in one territory, but only one can fire.
    4. New sea units can be placed in an enemy-occupied sea zone (this was an optional rule in 2nd Edition).
    5. Western Canada no longer borders the Atlantic Ocean.
There weren't any changes to the setup.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Dio

Post by Dio » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:38 am

I see.

Another quick question (or clarification) about the rules:

The rules say, that if an Aircraft Carrier which carries one or more fighters, get sunk by a submarine, these fighters are lost at sea, unless:

Another Aircraft Carrier (with room) is present in the same Sea Zone, or there is a friendly island present in the Sea Zone, which the fighters can land on.

Do i understand the rules correctly, if i say that ONLY islands can be used in this situation, or is it possible for a fighter to land in India, if the carrier that carried it was sunk in the indian ocean (is it possible for a fighter to land on land zone's bordering the sea zone on which they were left behind?)

If only islands are allowed for such "crash landings", is the UK considered an island in this situation? Is Eire? Is Japan? Is French Madagascar?

Thanks again!

- Rasmus

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:19 am

Yes, only islands can be used for this purpose. An "island" is defined as a territory that is completely surrounded by a single sea zone. The United Kingdom and Japan are islands for the purposes of the rules. French Madagascar and Australia are not, since they border more than one sea zone.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok