Doing Something Wrong

Original Axis & Allies 1984-2004
timerover51

Doing Something Wrong

Post by timerover51 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:35 am

I am not sure if we are doing something wrong or doing something right in our gaming. I have seen a lot of comments on the board about how there is never any combat in the Pacific, and Japan is normally ignored while Germany gets wiped out. In the games that we play in our gaming class, and our game playtesting group, that is simply not the case. What normally happens is that the UK and the USSR player concentrate on Germany, with a little help from the US, while the US player keeps Japan occupied in the Pacific with a little help from the UK. Plenty of naval engagements and ship building by both the US and Japan. Rarely does Japan bother the USSR. This is playing strictly by the standard rules. Adding the random event cards to the mix has not seem to change that at all. I should add that in our gaming class, we always have 5 player-teams of at least 2 students per team, and we normally have 4 or 5 players in the playtesting group. We do not have any one on one games at all. Our games do tend to last a full week, and allowing for set-up time, that means about 10 hours. Sometimes the game ends with either the Axis or Allies winning, but most of the time, everyone is still in the game, having at it.

In the current game going on in the game class, both Germany and Japan are still fighting, and I suspect that the game will end without a clear winner. The interesting thing is that both the German and Japanese player teams are doing much better when defending than they did when they were attacking. The US and the UK players are discovering that it is not eay to attack someone when you have to send everything by transport. Quite an interesting game it is turning out to be.