No
60%
Yes, but I don't like this specific House Rule
13%

Total votes: 15

Desertfox

AA House rule idea

Post by Desertfox » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:26 pm

I think that AA should be able to be moved into a territory to attack. This would make the game more interesting and spur on players buying more AA guns. This would allow an attacking player to counteract the fighters that defend at 4. However, you can only attack with one AA.
Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel's Number One Fan!

The General

Post by The General » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:27 pm

True, but with the same 5 IPC's you could buy a tank. Instead of trying to hit enemy fighters with a roll of 1, you now have an attack of 3.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:38 pm

but did they have them? I can imagine adding rules for Half Track Anti-Air or similiar ideas but these are supposed to represent massive stationary batteries...

GG
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

GROGnads

Mobile AA guns

Post by GROGnads » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:33 pm

Actually, with the exception of the Japanese, just about everyone had some sort or even an assortment, of Mobile AA guns! The Germans were the most prolific in this respect especially once their vaunted Luftwaffe couldn't provide them with any sort of substantial Air Defense any longer. As a "stop gap" measure, they even designed their Tank's cupolas to outfit a "snap on" rig to mount a Machine Gun upon for use in Anti Air defense, although this was more of a "morale" enhancer than a practical means. :shock:
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

CanucKev

Post by CanucKev » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:01 am

My counter to the argument "how can an infantry shoot down a plane" is the mobile AA Gun idea ...

I had an idea for AA Guns (or a separate unit that looks just like them, but is different colour) ... they could be moved into combat (as an attack) and then they'd roll one die for each defending infantry. Good way to knock off 1/6 of a stack (they'd hit on a 1) ... and they'd only fire once. Not sure if they could still defend vs. planes; not sure if casualties could return fire; not sure how much they should cost ... but they wouldn't be able to capture a territory by themselves, and if they were ever left alone, someone else could just march troops into the territory and claim it as theirs. And, they wouldn't be able to be taken as casualties.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:26 pm

Id use them as heavy artillery or anti- tank gun . and just allow artillery to "double-up" as anti- air artillery.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:57 pm

Comments noted

ChristophfromGermany

AA guns

Post by ChristophfromGermany » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:01 am

I am playing A&A for abaout ten years now and I remember one of the first house rules I introduced was dealing with AA guns. I always bothered the fact, that a single unit can fire once or several times just because the enemy is flying one or several aircraft over the territory the AA gun is placed.
I lowered the cost to 4 IPC and made the AA gun a normal combat unit (bought several additional sets of AAguns and Industrial complexes via eBay and painted them country specific) that can fire on attack and defecnce once per round of combat and that can be chosen as casualty. And you may place more than one AAgun per territory. This makes strategic air defense for Germany all the more important or you try to build the infamous Kammhuber line (50.000 AAguns in Holland and western Germany against Allied bombing raids). And it provides a remedy against those target picking fighters in regular combat if you have no fighter at hand.
ChristophfromGermany

No decent man can prefer war to peace, because at peace-time the sons burry their father while at war, the father burries his sons. (Herodot)