Edition Clarification

Original Axis & Allies 1984-2004
DrFager

Edition Clarification

Post by DrFager » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:27 pm

Perhaps you guys can clairfy something for me.

I bought the Revised version of the game with the Anniversary Edition. I did so, just to have the new version of the game. But, is the Classic 2nd Edition of the game still being published? I ask because on the Wizards site, they do not sell a Classic version of the game.

If that is the case as well, is Revised sort of the new "Classic" version of the game? (For the lack of a better word) Essentially, is 2nd Edition Classic a dead game at this point?

timerover51

Re: Edition Clarification

Post by timerover51 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:21 pm

DrFager wrote:Perhaps you guys can clairfy something for me.

I bought the Revised version of the game with the Anniversary Edition. I did so, just to have the new version of the game. But, is the Classic 2nd Edition of the game still being published? I ask because on the Wizards site, they do not sell a Classic version of the game.

If that is the case as well, is Revised sort of the new "Classic" version of the game? (For the lack of a better word) Essentially, is 2nd Edition Classic a dead game at this point?
You can still locate games for sale on eBay. We are still using the Classic version, i.e. pre-2004 version in my historical gaming class.

DrFager

Post by DrFager » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:00 am

timerover51 wrote:
DrFager wrote:Perhaps you guys can clairfy something for me.

You can still locate games for sale on eBay. We are still using the Classic version, i.e. pre-2004 version in my historical gaming class.
Thanks for the response.

So in a way Revised is now the new standard for A&A as new fans will only be able to store-buy Revised. Interesting.

Perhaps I need to break out Revised. I own Revised and the Anniversary edition but have never played either. Im stuck in a Hot Tub Time Machine, still playing Classic exclusively. :D

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:08 am

The Revised Edition (2004) is now out of print. The 1942 Edition (2009) is the new standard game.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

DrFager

Post by DrFager » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Krieghund wrote:The Revised Edition (2004) is now out of print. The 1942 Edition (2009) is the new standard game.
Does it have more in common with the classic 2nd edition or revised?

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:57 pm

Revised. It's a hybrid of Revised and the Anniversary Edition.

DrFager

Post by DrFager » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:04 pm

So Classic, Revised and Anniversary are dead games at this time. (ie out of print)

1942 is now the default standard for the series and Europe is about to be released.

Let me ask you, what do you think of the various games. Do you like the new(er) 1942 better than Classic? What is generally considered the better of.... 1942, Revised and Anniversary?

Thanks for taking the time square me away on the various editions.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:47 pm

I wouldn't consider any of them to be "dead", as many continue to play them all. The Anniversary Edition is the least "dead", as demands for reprints of it continue to be voiced. But yes, they are out of print.

Personally, I prefer 1942 out of all of the "base" game versions. However, the Anniversary Edition is my favorite game of all of the global ones released to date. Many others feel the same way, which accounts for the prices currently being commanded for it.