1942: Submission from Larry Harris

Original Axis & Allies 1984-2004
Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:26 am

The first one looks like AH afrika corps. How do you make hexes w/o a computer? can we get a larger pic w/o having to goto file share thing?

This is very interesting. need original size pic if possible
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

GROGnads

not EVEN close

Post by GROGnads » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:50 am

Actually there "I.L.", then that is the "Area of Operations" gamemap for the 'Tunisian Campaigns' from probably either 'GMT' or 'the Gamers', or someone like them. I've got several versions for that myself, including the 'Excalibre', 'O.S.G.', 'G.D.W.', 'S&T', 'Europa', 'the Wargamer', and perhaps a few more that I might have "dis-remembered" for that ALL! These tend to concentrate upon certain 'scales' for this, even going as far down as 'Company' sized in the case of where "Tiger" tanks were concerned, and YES there were some involved there, but not very many. As for the general HATE that some of US have & evoke for the 'reviled' version, then chock that up to the "malaise" of which we'd become 'infected' with due to its many glaring omissions or contritions that were perpetrated upon us with such. Anybody ever GET those 'fixed' as of yet hmmmm?
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:47 am

Blair wrote:Why do a lot of people here seem to not like Revised compared to Classic? Is it the black water? :lol: I personally like the black-ish water. :P
It has nothing to do with the black water.

In classic the infantry was a defansive unit and the tanks an offansive unit, but in Revised all units attack and defend with the same strenght. So the classic game was closer to reality, and the Revised game is ahistoric but have better playability.

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:40 am

this is going off topic to Larry's sharing of his original game...I am re expressing why I had issue with the revised game board...

I look at these types of geographic / historic feeling games to be just that...

Games like risk, Axis & Allies sparked an interest in geography to me, I bet I was one of only a few who had a grasp of the earths geography during that period, and these two games helped tons...

now with reviesed, we have moscov where omsk is supposed to be...the other major issue for me, was the board itself, the 6 fold wonder, that tore only after a few sessions...The difference between the quality of MB vs the new AH or wissars is enormous...I feel like I downgraded in quality, but paid more...but I still am a fan, and its great to have a place to voice my opinions without some corp moderator stiffling thoughts...good or bad...

ES
-The evil Bert & friend

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:39 pm

L-Bow is right, we must go back on topic.

Larry, what material was the unit pieces made off ?
Plastic ? Metal ? or Wood ?
Its hard to see from the pics.

And was them totaly handmade ?
or did you use some mass fabrication technicues ?

Just woundering.

Autocad

Post by Autocad » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:12 pm

Back to the topic, 1942,

When I look at those handmade units, there is a lot of work to it. All done by hand.

So my question to Larry is, did you get anybody to playtest this? And if so, how is the balance?

And one more question, about living in France. was there a wargame group there you could play games with/

thanks,
John

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:12 am

All that was a long long time ago.
Balsa wood mostly. I do remember a certain circle of friends that gathered at my Paris appartment to play 1942. We'd drink wine and roll dice... :roll: Oh my head.

The presentation was important to me. I took my time to make uniformed pieces and lots of them. I do think this helped sell the game eventually. Which I did do when I returned to the States in 1980...

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:59 pm

great story Larry!

what are the chances of doing remakes of 42 and NLF ??

does the 42 game differ from the NOVA version? What made the cut? What didnt??

Thanks again for taking those pics, would be great to have some better pictures.

ES
-The evil Bert & friend