Classic compared to later versions

Original Axis & Allies 1984-2004
timerover51

Classic compared to later versions

Post by timerover51 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:49 am

We use the Classic version of Axis and Allies to introduce our summer class students to WW2 historical board gaming as well as using it in the morning WW2 history class up to this year. A goodly number of students have purchased later versions of the game. Interestingly enough, many of them prefer the Classic game over the more recent versions. One of our students this year managed to locate a Classic version online, in the original shrink wrap, for only $35, and immediately bought it.

It would be interesting if Hasbro could be convinced to simply re-release the Classic version, using say the updated sculpts from the Spring 1942 edition of the game.

Based on the wear and tear on our Classic sets, we are going to have to do that soon, or I will need to break out my still-in-shrink-wrap Classic game for use, and use the other games for spare parts.

I still like the design of the Classic Map, as I think that it is the best looking of the game maps, but updating it with impassable areas like the Sahara Desert would be very nice.

Yavid

Re: Classic compared to later versions

Post by Yavid » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:09 pm

No way if you're going to play Classic play full on Classic map and all. It's the right thing to do.
Behold the Power of Yavid

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:13 pm

No way if you're going to play Classic play full on Classic map and all
HUH?????
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:14 am

I was saying if you're going to play Classic then play Classic don't go screwing with the map.
Behold the Power of Yavid