Axis & Allies Convention Events 2013

Do you have something in mind -Let's hear it.
GSmorey

Axis & Allies Convention Events 2013

Post by GSmorey » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Greetings AA Gamers,

Well it is that time of year when GEN CON Event Registration has opened and I am asking you, the AA gamer, what you want to play at the CON's this year. Please go to my web site and take the survey...or just shoot me back an e-mail. Either way, I will compile a list of the most wanted games you want to play, in what kind of format (i.e. tournament, casual, league, etc.) and even when.

Also, it is official, the Spring Gathering will be held April 5 & 6 in Cincinnati, Ohio. I am working on that schedule of events as well and will get something posted on the Swamp as soon as I get a handle on what games you want to play.

I have a long list of games that I need to consider, so here is what is on the list thus far for this year:

AA50
AA50 Tournament
1914 Tournament
G40
G40 Tournament
G40 2nd Ed Tournament
1942 2nd Ed
1942 2nd Ed Tournament
1941 - Beginners
1941 Tournament
Masters Invitational (what game?)
Classic 2nd Ed
Guadalcanal
D-Day
Battle of Bulge
Commanders and Tactics
Miniatures
AA Mini's Tournament
AA Mini's Sealed/League
Mini Battlefest
WAS Tournament
WAS Sealed/League
WAS Battlefest
Angels 20 Tournament
Angels 20 Sealed/League
Angels 20 Scenarios

Now, again, this is just the list I came up with. Let me know if I am missing anything and or specifics about any or all that you might have.

This will be my 20th year running events at GEN CON and I would like to make it the best yet...so, have at it and let me know what you think.

Peace,
Gregory J. Smorey
Axis & Allies Event Organizer/GM - GEN CON/Origins/Spring Gathering
http://www.headlesshorseman2.com

“The best luck of all is the luck you make for yourself” - MacArthur
Last edited by GSmorey on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gregory J. Smorey – EO/GM
SmoreySwamp: Axis & Allies Event Organizer/GM: GEN CON, ORIGINS, Spring Gathering
Web: headlesshorseman2.com

Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.

Larry

Re: Axis & Allies Convention Events 2013

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:22 pm

20th year !! Really. That's amazing. Time sure goes by fast when you're having fun.
Greg thanks for all you've done, all you are doing and all you will continue to do...

Larry

GSmorey

Post by GSmorey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:28 am

Yeap, 20 years now...started at age of 29 when Rich Baker (no longer with WotC then TSR) asked me to take over the AA event, which at the time was one, and Classic to boot and I have been blessed with doing it ever since. One can do the math as to how old I am now...

Guys, recall when the event started on Saturday morning, 8am. Ran all day. Was SE, with 120 + players every year until the time we moved to Indy and Europe came out.

A few of the guys remember when I started this, and think back to when they called me a "young punk" running AA.

Thanks go out to all the AA Gamers that come to the events and make it what it is...

Peace,
Gregory J. Smorey

SmoreySwamp: Axis & Allies Event Organizer/GM: GEN CON, ORIGINS, Spring Gathering

Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.

GSmorey

Re: Axis & Allies 2013 Spring Gathering Results

Post by GSmorey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Greetings AA Gamers,

Just wanted to thank everyone that came out and made the Spring Gathering
another great big success especially those that traveled across country to
the event.

I also would like to again, thank all the sponsors: WotC/AH, Larry Harris,
12-7 Games, HBG.com, Art of War, Craig Yope, FMG, GameTableOnline, and last
but NOT least, Axis & Allies.org. No way the SG would make it without your
continued support.

I am still in the process of uploading pictures, so if anyone has any they
would like to send along that already has not done so, please feel free to
do so.

http://www.headlesshorseman2.com/id11.html

Now, onto Origins. An Update will be coming soon.

Peace,
Gregory J. Smorey

*“The best luck of all is the luck you make for yourself” - MacArthur***

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Congratulations on another successful event, Greg!
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Sat May 25, 2013 11:21 am

See you at Origins. Just registered. Probably at GenCon too!!! Whose bringing the cake for Greg's 20th???

GSmorey

Post by GSmorey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:33 pm

AA Gamers,

As promised, I have updated the Swamp with a brief listing of the Axis & Allies events that will run at GEN CON from my HQ. Not all are listed but most of the important ones with Event # and times.

http://www.headlesshorseman2.com/id12.html

I will hopefully posting any event rules changes to any of the events within weeks end.

29 days and counting...

If you have any questions, please feel free to give me a shout.

Peace,

Gregory J. Smorey
SmoreySwamp Axis & Allies Gamers
Event Organizer/GM - GEN CON/Origins/Spring Gathering

www.headlesshorseman2.com

GSmorey

Post by GSmorey » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:40 pm

Greetings AA Gamers,

Three weeks, 23 days to GEN CON. I have received quite a lot of questions regarding events and specifics for tournament play. Keep them coming if need be.

A few items of note: for first timers, any tournament is listed as a team tournament but in most cases, you may play solo if the numbers lend themselves to playing solo. What that means is that I allocate spaces enough for everyone to play as a team if they like. So, if there is a sell out and you want to play solo, you most likely will not be able to. This scenario rarely happens so there is a good chance you will be able to play solo if you like. I will do everything possible to accommodate anyone wanting to play solo.

Also on the event front. Most if not ALL of my Tournament events are listed in the book/online as 2 hours events. Please make note: Almost ALL of the events I run last longer than 2 hours. What is required of me from GEN CON is that I must list the minimum amount of time a player has to play the game before, either being eliminated or just gets up and goes to another event. It is basically a guarantee of time that you may play a game if you like. So, and in most cases, tournament events will run anywhere from 2 hours up to: 4, 5, 6 or even 8 hours. ALL events do have a time limit. You can go to the Swamp and see the event rules to get the exact maximum amount of time for each event. (Ex. AA50 = 6 hours max. 1942 2nd Ed. = 5 hours max. 1914 = 6 hours max.)

Also, there has been a request for me to send out a request for hotel room space. If you know of anyone that would know of a place that has room availability or if anyone has a room they wouldn't mind sharing (cost as well), let me know and i will pass along the info to the people still looking for rooms.

There has also been a request of players wanting to find games on Wednesday night. At this time, I am still not 100% sure of my plans but if you go to one of the forums, let others know what is going on for Wednesday.

Last, an update on events listings. More 1941 Beginners Events have SOLD OUT. Also, 1914 Games have now sold out as well as one of the War At Sea Battlefests.

If there are any questions regarding these or any other questions, feel free to give me a shout.

Peace,

Gregory J. Smorey
www.headlesshorseman2.com

"Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy..” - General Patton