WW2 Class with HBG Huge 1939 Map

Do you have something in mind -Let's hear it.
timerover51

WW2 Class with HBG Huge 1939 Map

Post by timerover51 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:05 am

Our World War 2 class is in full swing using the Historical Board Games Huge 1939 Map. We have 2 classes, each with its own map. The units for each country are placed on the map at the appropriate times, the starting date being September 1, 1939, with the students assuming the roles of various world leaders, and roleplaying the decision making process for each country in the major policy decisions. This year, once we finish our review for the new students, we will be starting with the German invasion of the USSR in June of 1941, and the Japanese policy decisions to go to war during the summer and fall of 1941. We have 18 students per class, and as we have more than 18 world leaders, some students are playing more than one role. The students are really getting into the simulation.

For each map, I am using units from A&A Anniversary Edition, A&A Europe 1940, A&A Pacific 1940, some Historical Board Game units for smaller powers, some Xeno Games units, and Attack white artillery pieces for coast defense artillery.

I will get some photos tomorrow for posting of each map, with one representing the situation just prior to the invasion of France in 1940, the other the map as of September 1, 1939.

For those that have not seen it, the Historical Board Games map is extremely good, as long as you have plenty of room for it.

timerover51

Re: WW2 Class with HBG Huge 1939 Map

Post by timerover51 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:12 pm

The year, we made it to the Pearl Harbor attack, after reviewing the Japanese Leadership's decision to go to war with the US and Great Britain. The general consensus of the students were that the Japanese leaders were out of their minds to do so. The Russians have counterattacked and driven the Germans back from Moscow, and Rommel has been driven back to Tripolitania by the British in the "Crusader" offensive. The Tan M3 Stuart light tanks from Historical Board Gaming have been very useful in demonstrating the effects of Lead-Lease to the students. Next year, the initial focus will be the Japanese expansion in the Pacific, with the British verses Axis combat in North Africa in early 1942 also a focus. I am not sure how far we will get into 1942, but our target is the Torch invasion of North Africa, or at least the US Marines hitting Guadalcanal.

We have been using the Red Japanese pieces for better contrast with the map, and they are working well. I found my box of 1st Edition Pacific Red Japanese pieces I bought before Hasbro clamped down on selling piece sets, so have plenty of them. Historical Board Gaming has filled in as well. I will need some Red Japanese cruisers for next year though.

For any who are in the Chicago area, if you would like to contact me next year in June and July for a visit to see what we are doing, feel free to do so via private message.

timerover51

Re: WW2 Class with HBG Huge 1939 Map

Post by timerover51 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:04 pm

Here is the end of class map about midway through the second week.
2015 WW2 Class Map.jpg
2015 WW2 Class Map.jpg (53.51 KiB) Viewed 6334 times