Axis & Allies 1914 WORLD WAR 1

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
nexus73

Re: Axis & Allies 1914 WORLD WAR 1

Post by nexus73 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks for letting my second post here go through Larry.

Unlike WWII, a war of high mobility and massive logistics spanning the globe, WWI was a fairly static affair, which made it quite the challenge to design an exciting game around. "Diplomacy" pretty much ruled the roost until your game came along for playing out the Great War. Unfortunately the amount of any A&A gaming scene here is MIA so I just content myself with playing the 1998 CD-ROM game on a nearly daily basis. There's ways to make it challenging enough to keep the game interesting!

There are two side episodes which suggest themselves for game play. Maybe you have read "Last Cruise Of The Emden". How cool would that be to play either the little surface raider or the fleets trying to stop its predations? Another campaign was performed by about 150 men from the SMS Konigsberg as they cut a swath through Africa that was completely outsized given the tiny complement of Germans and their native helpers. That action sucked in around 100K troops as I recall and made life a little easier for the Central Powers on the Western Front. Figure out a ruleset for "chasing the ghost" and there's two historical games for the price of one research! *grin*

Rick
Bad dice happen. Blame the Russians...LOL!

nexus73

Post by nexus73 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:16 pm

Be nice to have a continuing flow of conversation, ya' think? Obviously I am not a spambot...LOL! Please treat me like a real human bean and I'll do the same for you. In other words please let me enjoy the privilege to post without having to be moderated. If you do have a personal problem with me, by all means speak up!

Rick

johnnymarr

Post by johnnymarr » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:40 pm

Love the American Experience series and Ken Burns series. PBS always does an outstanding job!

nexus73

Post by nexus73 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:46 pm

johnnymarr wrote:Love the American Experience series and Ken Burns series. PBS always does an outstanding job!
It would be nice to see a prelude to war series. After all there is quite the story behind how the tinderbox was built, which erupted into flame in the summer of 1914.

Rick

nexus73

Post by nexus73 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Just posted a reply to Marr's post and I am still stuck with needing a mod. What is the problem? I keep asking for answers and only getting silence. Sad! One would think that a vet, a person who owns and has owned A&A games and someone with an avid interest in history would not be treated so shabbily.

Rick

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:43 pm

Talk about hell on earth. Humans are so cruel to each other.
-The evil Bert & friend

pellulo

Post by pellulo » Sun May 28, 2017 8:55 pm

That is the byproduct of "Civilization" , better ways to abuse your fellow man, going on since at least 3500 B.C. The irony was the Anarchist, who believe in practically no central controlling government, but, who help launch The Great War(if by accident).

Remember the sixties kids, "drop in, drop out", were very antiestablishment/antigovernment. The ideal of a simpler natural way of life(if it ever existed), has been around no less than 3500 B.C., thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

justonemorepush

Post by justonemorepush » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:32 am

Macron invites Trump to Bastille Day to honor US WWI(The Great War) troops
PARIS (AP) — French President Emmanuel Macron has invited U.S. President Donald Trump to a Bastille Day celebration next month to celebrate the arrival 100 years ago of the American troops who fought alongside the French during World War I.

France celebrates Bastille Day with a military parade down the Champs-Elysees every July 14. The official says the White House is examining the feasibility of a Paris visit. The official requested anonymity in keeping with presidential practice.

Thanks justonemorepush