Rules clarification for Axis and Allies 3rd edition

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Krieghund

Re: Rules clarification for Axis and Allies 3rd edition

Post by Krieghund » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:44 am

19k wrote:Thanks Krieg, but was this rule continued into 3rd edition? This is where its in question. The club plays mainly 3rd edition and the only rulebook for 3rd edition is the game manual provided with the Hasbro CD version of Axis and Allies.
The only changes from the 2nd edition rules are those listed on page 5.
19k wrote:This manual was very poorly created. It appears to be a cut-n-paste of the 2nd edition manual, with a few changes listed on page 5, but it is missing some detail.
I'm sure that the manual's authors felt that it didn't need to be as comprehensive as the rules for a board game, as the computer enforces the rules.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:07 pm

What the heck is 3rd edition? Is he talking about Revised 2004?

Milton Bradley is 2nd edition
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:46 pm

There were three editions of the Milton Bradley rules. The first two editions came with the board game in 1984 and 1986, respectively. The third edition rules came with the CD-ROM in 1997.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:25 am

What edition is Nova games? How come that don't count as any edition?
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Post by 19k » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:56 am

The computer doesn't do a good job of enforcing those rules. The Hasbro CD-Rom game will let you move through canals without owning them, before player made patches wouldn't allow air units to buy neutrals and allows transports to split anytime.

The programing has flaws in it that will allow players to break rules if you don't know the rules of the game.

Its not perfect but not bad for 1997 either.

Thanks again Krieghund for the assistance and Larry for your reply.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:15 am

Imperious leader wrote:What edition is Nova games? How come that don't count as any edition?
The fact that there were three editions of Classic after the Nova version makes it difficult to apply the term "edition" to the games at all outside of each individual publisher. Add to this the fact that Nova, Classic, Revised, and 1942 (which also now has two editions) are really very different games, and term tends to lose all meaning in the "big picture". And that's not even counting the Anniversary, 1941, and 1940 variants.

The use of the term "edition" at this level also tends to be very confusing, as many people aren't aware of all of the different rules sets that have existed over the years. Take this instance, for example. Someone who is unaware of the existence of the 3rd edition rules for Classic instantly assumes that "3rd edition" refers to Revised, as it followed Classic.

(As an aside, most of this confusion stems from the widespread use of the term "2nd Edition" to refer to Classic. Originally, this term (properly) differentiated the 2nd edition rules of Classic from the 1st edition rules. In fact, at that time most people weren't even aware of the existence of the Nova version at all. However, over time most people forgot that there were 1st edition rules for Classic, and when the Nova version came to light it became a popular misconception that "2nd edition" referred to the fact that that version preceded Classic.)

For these reasons, I tend to refer to Nova, Classic, Revised, etc. as "versions", reserving the term "edition" for revisions within each version. This leads to the following nomenclature for the "core" game:
Nova version
Classic version (1st, 2nd, and 3rd editions)
Revised version
1942 version (1st and 2nd editions)

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Krieg- As usual, you are a beacon of clarity!

Thanks, again.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:04 pm

What edition is Iron Blitz? Since you qualify the software as editions how does that fit in to the paradigm?