Axis & Allies Victory Conditions

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Flashman

Re: Axis & Allies Victory Conditions

Post by Flashman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:18 pm

Larry, thank you for considering my map intelligently. I have included Syria as a capital primarily as its principle city Antioch was one of the 3 major cities of the Empire after Rome & Alexandria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioch#Roman_period

Byzantium/Constantinople (Thracia) became Roman capital in the 4th century, while Carthago Nova was the de facto capital of Hannibal and is nicely equidistant from Rome and Carthage by land, given my new arrangement of provinces.

Sardinia and Corsica were administered as a single province in this era.

Another alternative for capitals is to make Rome the Imperial capital, rather than a player starting base. In this case it would be a super city and Latium worth 20 talents. Any player managing to take control of Rome would gain special privileges. In this case Belgica might serve as a 6th player capital. But this is for a standard 6 player game; the beauty of a simple map is that different scenarios for fewer players can easily be created simply by changing the placement of towns and cities at the start of the game (that is nothing is printed on the map bar the names of the provinces).

I'm aware that you want to keep the game simple; by all means make the Classic version the main game. In this case the use only the green Roman provinces.

The idea of the grey border areas is that they begin occupied by Barbarian tribes, but a player can conquer one for Rome if he wishes. In general, these areas were occupied by Rome temporarily with a view to becoming provinces, but abandoned after a period when they proved unprofitable or too vulnerable to Barbarian incursions. Some of them became client kingdoms allied to Rome. Only Dacia was incorporated for a lengthy period, at least until the gold mines started to peter out... (gold mines in some provinces would be another way of distributing income). The red and blue (limes and river) frontier borders could offer some extra protection for defending Romans.

The yellow areas are considered too barren and remote to be of interest to Rome, and function as spawning areas for new Barbarian tribes.

Palmyra was an odd region; a desert which contained a rich trading metropolis.

Note that the African and Levantine provinces have no grey buffer zone protecting them from new Barbarian hordes, somewhat balancing the fact that they have fewer borders with rival players.

I'm guessing you meant to say 2nd Century A.D.; but there's no reason the game map could not be used for any scenario from the Ancient World. Why not fight the civil wars between Pompey and Caesar, Octavian and Anthony?

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Lots of good stuff here Flashman. Lots to think about. You are making the wheels in my head turn. I'll keep you posted.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Posted some more ideas on leaders and armies for COTE in the appropriate thread:

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/ ... 3&start=64

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:41 am

Begining to form the idea of an ancient Middle East game using the same system, and utilising the middle and eastern boards.

King of Kings would feature the Kingdoms of Mycenae(Greeks), Hittites, Mitani, Assyria, Babylon, Egypt & Media/Persia. Chariots would take the place of cavalry.

Need to find and appropriate date to focus on, but think this could work out well.
Attachments
ancientgif.GIF
ancientgif.GIF (113.22 KiB) Viewed 3704 times

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:50 am

Try this map instead.

Axis and Allies has completely missed the boat for its on-line fan base. Leaving it up to mods and half baked attempts. Personally had AA overload and needed a break from alpha, beta, theta etc. Cost itself, lack of units, errors on boards, it is like pushing a roll of balongne through a hot dog mold. Don't just make the same old game, version 5...

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:06 pm

elbowmaster wrote:Try this map instead.

Don't just make the same old game, version 5...
That's the point, really; I think the game can be much more than another remake of 6 Caesars.

But I like moving 3 dimensional units around a board; online games don't have the same feeling for me. I think a new Conquest can be a great product, especially if Larry goes with the chariot racing...

Some thoughts on the Bronze Age version;

Much more brutal, with cities not just sacked but entire populations deported to resettle your own cities.

Like the Roman era, the predations of the barbarians will reach the stage where they overwhelm the civilized world; the Bronze Age Collapse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_age_collapse

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:22 pm

It shouldn't be Ceasars at all. Make it a faction game with provinces that make up areas as shown in the Total War Rome II map. Each faction can have its own special goodies. 8 sided dice... Roman Civil War (Ceasars) is old news.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:58 am

That was my idea: a faction representing an extended family over the entire course of the Empire.

You still have a "Caesar" figure as the head of your faction (perhaps better called Imperator), but with dynastic succession and alliances.

If Roman "factions" fighting each other isn't a civil war then what is it? I've already suggested adding barbarian tribes to the mix.

Basically, I think it should include "Classic" conquest with Larry's modifications, and an "Epic" game with all the other stuff including the chariot races for people wanting something deeper.