Formula for determining the cost of units.

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
toblerone77

Formula for determining the cost of units.

Post by toblerone77 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:49 pm

What is the formula that determines the cost of units in the game? This question is one that many A&A fans ponder frequently. The answer would also help those of us who supplement our games with HBG and FMG custom units.

Thanks.

Imperious leader

Re: Formula for determining the cost of units.

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:44 pm

Their is none. It is a subjective thing. The reasoning is if every single unit had the same value if divided by some "formula", their would be no need to buy anything but the cheapest unit because at a cost per point basis, that unit would prove to be the best. Right now the flavor that some units have adds to the game. I'm glad for that.

Their was only one issue in the past where tanks in Revised 2004 were overpowering at 5 IPC, but they got fixed.

Cruisers can be argued to be overpriced at 12, but it has not ruined the game like Revised tanks did.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

toblerone77

Post by toblerone77 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:31 pm

IL I would assume that you are right. I didn't think LH was necessarily going to answer this. I would just love him or Krieghund to put to rest some of the "mythology" of why units cost "X" amount.

If there actually was such a formula it really could give some provenance to those of us incorporating custom units. I've always used the base unit like infantry and added IPCs as attack, defense, and range factors increased along with factoring in special abilities.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:23 pm

Well you would be right about Larry on that subject.

You can figure out how it works by just looking at the units we got.

Each attack or defense costs 1 IPC , 1 Movement costs 1 IPC from the 2nd movement point and greater...

Naval runs at double cost, SBR runs at 1 IPC for a value of 2 SBR. Carriers have their own formula.

I bet any analysis you come up with would be far more clever than OOB...if you want to make a science about it.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

toblerone77

Post by toblerone77 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:02 am

Imperious leader wrote:Well you would be right about Larry on that subject.

You can figure out how it works by just looking at the units we got.

Each attack or defense costs 1 IPC , 1 Movement costs 1 IPC from the 2nd movement point and greater...

Naval runs at double cost, SBR runs at 1 IPC for a value of 2 SBR. Carriers have their own formula.

I bet any analysis you come up with would be far more clever than OOB...if you want to make a science about it.
Rofl! Yes the OOB stats fit that formula perfectly. I've used it many, many times as a basis. I love to tinker and modify quite a bit as you probably know.

You know how it is though when presenting house rules to a wider audience. It helps to have Larry or Krieghund's blessing for sure!