The Future of AA games...

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
questioneer

The Future of AA games...

Post by questioneer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm wondering if the AA franchise with its current lineup: AA41, AA42, AAG40/G42 and AA1914 has now closed the book and turned the page and an epic run of 30 years.

Unless they milk some kind of "Gold" edition (I wouldn't put it past WOTC to milk more $$$$$ out of franchise) I don't know if we'll see anything more than what we've seen realistically. Honestly, I think the franchise is over. Sure there will always be those that clamour for super detailed variant versions but they mostly go unheard.

Larry is it safe to say the book is closed on AA, considering you and WOTC working on others projects with different themes???

pellulo

Re: The Future of AA games...

Post by pellulo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:38 pm

There a still allot of variations for W.W.II, a couple without U.S. forces in them(e.g. Stalingrad), also W.W.I series has Western(e.g. Verdun), Eastern, Southern, Balkan, Mid-East, Africa games that could be brought out(much less a Jutland game).

I think the World Wars still has allot of steam left in them, you get what you put into it, thanks, Pellulo

PS Great War minis would be fun too.
Pellulo

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:20 pm

That's very true, though the tactical games and the mini are really on the decline lately. I don't see them being revived. The 41/42/G40/1914 lineup is really the best they have had in a while and even that is starting to wane in popularity. None of these games have made it on any top 100 list or 200 for that matter.

The last game to really make a serious splash was AA50 (Anniversary), since then G40 and 1914 have made a little headway but those are really for hardcore AAfans. The general opinion on the widely spread 1941 and 1942 (2nd ed.) are "meh" at best.

pellulo

Post by pellulo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Well if the games are in decline, sure beats another civil war/roman empire game, I enjoy them, as always vote with your wallet, thanks, Pellulo
PS still buy those WWI minis.
Pellulo

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm wondering if the age of the minis is nearing its end.

I already use the chips for units system to make 1914 manageable; if the "Last Infantry Standing" rule is used in WWII versions then other land units sculpts are obsolete.

Or is Axis and Allies pointless without the artillery, armour and aircraft models?

Vader218

Post by Vader218 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:05 pm

questioneer wrote:The general opinion on the widely spread 1941 and 1942 (2nd ed.) are "meh" at best.
True.
I'm still (been waiting for 8 years) interested in a Stalingrad or Kursk game, and I think there are many more with me.
Even the Falaise pocket will do, if Americans must be included.
Or the invasion of Sicily, if those (...) Italians must be included.
Axis & Allies is, after chess, the most memorable boardgame I played.
Sadly my uncle, whom I played with, past away 2 years ago.
It's sad to witness the demise of this once great miniatures game with the revised/'41/'42/'14 lineup.
I hope mr. Harris will return to a WW2 tactical rather than strategical game after his civil war game.