Been away too long

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
Larry

Been away too long

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi,
I've been away from these boards for far too long. I miss you guys and promise to make myself a bit more available. Been working on something and it has been all consuming. What's up.... I just returned from outer-space and people are telling me that that guy who was on that TV show "Apprentice" is now the President of my country. How did that happen? He must have rolled a lot ones!

Larry

Flashman

Re: Been away too long

Post by Flashman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:51 pm

We missed you, Larry. Yes, even me!

I think my country's decision to leave the Fourth Reich trumps your Trump by the way.

On the possibility that you've been working on the "Romanesque" game you mentioned, I was wondering if you'd considered any of my suggestions for the game.

In particular, I think the Veterans, Augusta and Governors ideas would make the game more fun and feel more modern.

You might also think about avoiding some of the pitfalls that can trip up recent attempts to update "Axis and Allies" style games:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/121268

A "fantasy" version has some appeal, but I think that game got bogged down with the miniatures - it comes across as a collectable miniatures set with a game tacked on as an afterthought. At the very least they should have awarded points only for beating a substantial army; my Vets system allows upgrades only in proportion to the size of the army defeated.

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:25 am

Flashman
Is that you? Looks like you lost some weight. Have you’ve been working out? Missed you too – and certainly good to link up with you again. Are you still so Haaaaaaaaaaaard.
Fourth Reich…lol. But no… your Fourth Reich does not trump our Trump. The two do kind of signal a developing trend, however. Have to see how France goes in April.

Not working on a “Romanesque” game. If I were I’d certainly entertain you suggestions – rest assured.
Yeah… Glen Drover. Looks like he’s back in business. Tom didn’t have too many nice things to say about Warquest. That’s too bad. I wish Glen nothing but the best. Good man… I'm in an tough position I like both Glen and Tom... but I guess all this should be and is about the game and not people.

I’m very drawn to a Vet system (not necessarily yours, but not necessarily not yours -fact is I can’t remember yours). A well-designed Vet system would generate in the player of sense of growing… He or she would feel invested and things of the past (earlier in the game) would matter. the player would get emotionally attached to his Vets and that's always the best mind game anyone could ask for. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Cool.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Yes, I work out 3 times a week. Funny, haven't seen you down there recently...

You don't get too attached to Roman vets - you have to cash them in as colonists to build your cities, the only way this can be done. With only a limited number of vet pieces, they effectively become a form of high value currency.

The system also kills turtling - if you don't fight you don't get vets, you don't build your cities, you don't improve your tax base, you get overtaken by other players.

The Augusti are a great way of forging official, but perishable, alliances. And its high time there were female figures in a Larry Harris game.

How do you feel about Tom's argument that the "Dudes on a map" games have had their day? Personally I'm still a fan but I think a little more refinement is needed these days.

Larry

Post by Larry » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:24 am

I know this will sound like a cliché but I have not had time to get to my gym for quite a while.

Your approach and use of Vets is very clever… I was not expecting that! I’m assuming that by “Vet” you mean military veteran. Such a system would require a rather heavy and specific dedicated game mechanic. What concerns me the most is that if a Vet would gain this special status as a result of a military related activity and then be converted/promoted to a non-military function that has nothing to do with its military prowess would come across a bit disjointed.

I think I’d rather keep such an acquired status, a vet, as a relatively smaller part of the game. I’d like veterans to be and behave as a military force multiplier on the battlefield rather than a Governor of a colony or province. I'm sure you have given much more thought to approach than I have, but this kind of sums up my knee-jerk reaction.

I’m all for female figurines… Like our President Elect, I cherish women (sic).

Dudes on a map game – You mean like Chess or Axis & Allies (both of which have been around a long time, especially the former) … If you want to dehumanize someone of diminish something start with coming up with a snappy little moniker. Something like crooked Hillary for example. This “Dudes on a map” is wonderfully belittling to this entire genre of gaming. In any case, I think there is, and there always will be “Dudes on a map” games. And, there will always be fans of such games.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:25 pm

The very essence of my vets is that they are a finite resource - use them or lose them. At the end of each "era" (periods separated by "inflation" events) all vets still on the board retire.
So either burn them up in battle or use them to colonise new territories to build your economic base. This prevents a player building up an invincible army of vets to destroy the other players; you have to constantly feed in raw units to keep your legions alive.
Colonising 3 vets builds up the city in a province one step; a victorious attacking army sacks a captured city reducing it one step - these factors balance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonia_(Roman)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lugdunum# ... f_Lugdunum

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1781553343/ ... D8QHB873X6

Chacmool

Post by Chacmool » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Hey larry, i am glad that your back and that you were still designing new games. I wish you a healthy and lucky new year!
I am in love with your last a&a game that covered the great war. It has such clever dynamics and rules, my gaming group is still enjoying it so it gets every three months on the table. I hope that there will be a second edition of it sometime.. My second wish would be a game about the american civil war.. But anyway its good to hear from you!! Greetings from germany! Best regards Michael
Last edited by Chacmool on Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Books and bullets have their own destinies"

Ernst Jünger

Larry

Post by Larry » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:05 pm

Flashman
Brilliant! Very cool idea. With a better understanding of your idea the less jarring a converted veteran seems to be. The rationale I put in my head is that these old worriers become wise old statesmen. You are right about limiting the accumulation of too many overpowering veterans. You still have them but not to any overwhelming or unbalancing numbers- Very nice! Nice story within the story.