A&A WWI

Got a question that you'd like me to answer?
I'll be checking in on this thread now and then and hope I can answer any questions you may have.
WILD BILL

Re: A&A WWI

Post by WILD BILL » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Larry I thought that comment might get you taking again (hooked the fish, now can I real him in). Can you give us anymore insight on the game, or unit values? Does anything else I mention above have a place in this new game.

1) What are the values for some of the units (attack/def/move/cost)

2) Are there new pairings to increase some of those values (are some of the old pairings still in the game like inf/art pairing gives +1 to inf)

3) Is there a delay or restrictions for some units coming into the game.

4) Is there some mechanism to show rail involvement (maybe just NCM)

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:18 am

Hey WB...
1) What are the values for some of the units (attack/def/move/cost)

That depends on the values the battle-board assigns to them. It depends on the influence of some of the combined arms. For example. If you have air superiority all you artillery are promoted up a hit point. For each artillery present one infantry or one armor unit is promoted up a hit point. It’s all about the battle-board.

2) Are there new pairings to increase some of those values (are some of the old pairings still in the game like inf/art pairing gives +1 to inf)

New pairings... No. Are there some... Yes. I talked about them above.

3) Is there a delay or restrictions for some units coming into the game.

Yes.... Tanks cannot be purchased before the 4th round of play. The US must enter the war at the beginning of the fourth turn.

4) Is there some mechanism to show rail involvement (maybe just NCM)

Thought about it... decided not to include it. I didn't see the need to represent, or call out one. It is assumed that there is a rail system. It’s part of the unspoken background of the game.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:53 pm

A few questions on the Russian Revolution if you'll indulge me.

Is it a mandatory event on a set turn, regardless of how well/badly Russia is doing?

If it is, whats to keep Germany fighting in the east if they know the Russians are going to disappear on cue?

Does Revolutionary Russia become off-limits to both sides, or can they still fight over Russian territory?

Do the Germans and Austrians get "free" units representing the returning POWs from Russia?

Also:

Does Turkey have factories even though it did not, in fact, have factories and imported all modern weapons?

Do fighter aircraft have the same combat abilities all game: the development of fighters was perhaps the most intense arms race of the war.

Are tanks represented as a "breakthrough" weapon to give advantage to attack and break stalemates, with virtually no defensive ability; or are they similar to WWII A&A tanks with a 3-3 combat ability? (It seems to me that 4-1 would be a more accurate balance of WWI tanks in combat).

US entry on turn 4 seems very early historically, but can the USA collect money and buy units on the 1st 3 turns?

Do Turkey and Italy begin at war, or do they join after a turn or two?

Some minor nations are clearly controlled by major ones; does this imply that they, also, begin at war?

Are there any National Objectives? I've speculated that these might be needed to encourage players to make attacks despite the advantages of defence, otherwise players might be tempted to just sit tight until the tanks start rolling up to the front lines.
Attachments
Axis&Allies1914.PNG
Axis&Allies1914.PNG (172.97 KiB) Viewed 2451 times

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks Larry for a little more of a glimpse into the mechanics of the game. I like how the units will have relationships with each other on the battle board, and that air will have the ability of increasing hit points to work somewhat like a recon unit. Not sure how you get air superiority at this time (one round dog fight, or just out number your opponent etc....?), but I'm very pleased that this game will include some new mechanisms, and tactics to work out.

Can't wait for spring, just a few months away now

BTW today is my B-day, so thanks for the gift of answering some questions :mrgreen:

Caractacus

Post by Caractacus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:35 pm

WILD BILL wrote:BTW today is my B-day :mrgreen:

Happy birthday for yesterday Wild Bill! 8)
Caractacus.

Volcano

Post by Volcano » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:43 pm

I have a simple question, you would indulge me:

Will there be IPC values for territory and income, used to purchase new units like the traditional A&A games? I assume the answer is yes, but I am just curious. :)

Thanks for all the fun you have provided over the years, hard to imagine that I have been playing Axis and Allies for nearly 30 years now. This new game is quite welcome, good to see A&A going in new directions! Now all we need is a Cold War A&A next. :)

VonLettowVorbeck1914

Post by VonLettowVorbeck1914 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:18 am

I noticed there is a new WWI forum up, but I don't have permission to view it. What a tease! :P

Larry

Post by Larry » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:41 am

you should be able to see it.... I'll look into it.