Born warrior

In Axis & Allies Revised I asked - To whom do you dedicate your game? Make your dedication here
Pete E

Born warrior

Post by Pete E » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:13 pm

This dedication is about an immigrant: a Canadian to be specific. I first met this immigrant in the Foreword to Ernst Junger's book Storm of Steel recommended by Chacmool in his letter to Larry. Storm of Steel is an excellent memoir worthy of its own review. Junger gives a perspective of daily life in and out of the trenches few will read about in any other WWI books. Thank you Chacmool for the recommendation.

But I digress... The story of the Canadian was written by another warrior and Vietnam veteran Karl Marlantes who was awarded the Navy Cross, Bronze Star, two Navy Commendation Metals for Valor, two Purple Hearts and ten air metals. This Marine veteran is a true American Hero.

In his Forward to Storm of Steel, Marlantes describes the recipient of this dedication, George Jmaeff, like Ernst Junger, a born warrior. He goes on to write,"...Jmaeff, a young Canadian who came south and joined the U.S. Marines to fight in Vietnam. He was about six foot three, looked like Errol Flynn, and carried a sawed-off M-60 machine gun-normally a crew-served weapon, but he modified it so he could wield it alone. He always walked point. He always volunteered for the dangerous jobs. "Canada" as everyone called him, was iconic, known and talked about all over the regiment. Yet he wasn't crazy or stupidly aggressive. He was levelheaded, cool under fire, and a born leader who did not expose his fellow Marines to unnecessary risk.. In short, he was good at war."

Marlantes continues..."My fellow Marine Canada was badly wounded in an assault. He was honorably out of the fight, in the care of a U.S. Navy corpsman, lying on the ground receiving IV fluid for loss of blood and shock, when he heard that his platoon was pinned down by an NVA machine gun. He tore the IV tubes from his arm, grabbed an M-16 and took out the enemy machine gun, saving the lives of many of his friends. He died doing it and was awarded a posthumous Navy Cross."

Marlantes concludes, "We don't choose, as Heidegger puts it, how we are 'thrown into the world'". We choose how we conduct ourselves.

Let us pause today and honor our immigrants.
Respectfully submitted,
Pete E

Pete E

Re: Born warrior

Post by Pete E » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:15 am

I always wanted to apply for a job at a local newspaper as a "poof reader" (for those that missed my lousy attempt at humor, a proof reader edits articles written by others and makes corrections). I proof read my dedication submission about three times and still missed the word Metals which clearly should have been MEDALS. The only excuse I can put forth was earlier yesterday morning, prior to writing my dedication, I had a colonoscopy which involves metal and mettle. I certainly meant no disrespect to Marine officer Marlantes with whom I have the highest regard and apologize for my error.
Pete

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:25 am

I for one missed the “Metals and Medals” typo. But, I did not miss your point about immigrants.
I think that the best way to sum up a man is to find out who he admires and honors. You must be one very special guy Pete E.

harry56

Post by harry56 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:13 pm

Those free torpedoes shots finally came in for Japan, and, the BB shelling of 3 dice at sea, took out those surface subs.(would not work if they were submerged).

คาสิโนออนไลน์