Dedications and special thanks

In Axis & Allies Revised I asked - To whom do you dedicate your game? Make your dedication here
adlertag

Dedications and special thanks

Post by adlertag » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:19 am

Before I dedicate my game to my granny, I must thank Larry Harris for making this game. The Axis & Allies games are a son's tribute to his father, army sgt. Lawrence Harris Sr, that served 4 years in the front lines of the Pacific Theatre.

The first time I played Axis & Allies, it was just a game with toy soldiers, and we played it just for fun and entertainment. But as time passed, this silly game got a grip on me, and I begin to read history books about WW II, just to enlighten myself. The A&A game become an entrance to wisdom and knowledge. Later the game would also serve as a memoir of my grandfathers struggle for freedom. Must we never forget.

My tribute to Larry Harris, who served his country in the 82' Airborne, is the "Ballad of the Green Beret", song by Sgt Barry Sadler, in this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH4-tOqLH94

My tribute to Larry's father, who served in the Pacific, is this Marine Grave inscripton from Guadalcanal, wich I think is well said:

The Soldiers Prayer.

And When He Gets To Heaven,
To Saint Peter He Will Tell;
One More Marine Reporting, Sir,
I've Served My Time In Hell.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:45 am

I will dedicate my A&A games to my grandfathers, who both was sailors in the Norwegian merchant fleet, supplying the Allied Armys with stuff. One of them I never met, since he gave his life in 1943, for the good cause. The other one I grew up with, together with my mummy and daddy. He would have loved this game, and he also was a chess-champion, always ready for any competetion.

My mum was a survivor from the British bombing of Vallo the last week of the war. The town was utterly destroyed, because the nazies had a big oil plant there, and the 150 Lancaster's was not very accurate. I still live in the old house, and when my mum visit me, she can still hear the screams from the neighbours basement, 64 years later.

When I play the A&A game today, with my son or some friends, the plastic soldiers are more than just plastic soldiers on a map. They make me see the suffer and pitty and pain, but also the struggle, and heroisme.

To my grannies, fighting for Norway:

Take my love, take my land.
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free.
You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black.
Tell them I ain't comin back.
Burn the land and boil the sea.
You can't take the sky from me.

There's no place I can be.
Since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me.