My grandparents

In Axis & Allies Revised I asked - To whom do you dedicate your game? Make your dedication here
13thGuardsRifleDiv

My grandparents

Post by 13thGuardsRifleDiv » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:10 am

I dedicate my game to my grandparents, who had the courage to do what's right and hide a family of three in their house for four years, enabling them to survive rather than be deported to some 'camp' somewhere in central/eastern Europe.

Krieghund

Re: My grandparents

Post by Krieghund » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:01 am

My hat is off to your grandparents.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:14 pm

Indeed! Hats off to them. Learn all you can about what they did and share their story.

Upside-down_Turtle

Post by Upside-down_Turtle » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:51 am

Yes, I'd like to here their story, every last detail.
Proud Inventor of the Post Revised Tank
http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/ind ... #msg436656

13thGuardsRifleDiv

Post by 13thGuardsRifleDiv » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:31 am

Upside-down_Turtle wrote:Yes, I'd like to here their story, every last detail.
I don't know 'every last detail' but I can say this is the story that got me interested in history to begin with.

Somewhere in 1941 they were approached by the 'underground' if they would be willing to hide some people in their house, a father and mother with two kids, who would likely be deported that year if nothing happened. Already early 1941 there were some rumours of what was apparently going to happen to the jews (which was one of the reasons of the socalled 'february strike'). On the day that they were going to go into hiding, the mother could not be found in time, and was never seen or heard from again. The other three did stay in my grandparents home for nearly four years.

In october 1991 my grandparents were formally recognized by Yad Vashem ( http://www.yadvashem.org/ ) as 'righteous among nations' for what they had done during WW II. It was a formal ceremony hosted by the mayor of the town they lived in, with the Israeli ambassador and a representative of Yad Vashem present. It was about a month before my grandfather died.

In 2004 I visited the holocaust museum in Washington DC and found their names on the 'wall of the righteous' which again made a great impression on me. About half a year before she died, grandmother was interviewed on behalf of Steven Spielbergs 'Survivors of the shoah, visual history foundation', we received a copy of the interview, and it was quite remarkable because she remembered nearly every detail of said period, even when she was already losing memory of much more recent things.

It makes one feel quite small indeed...

Viracocha

Post by Viracocha » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:47 pm

Thank you for taking the time to write about that.