To my late father.

In Axis & Allies Revised I asked - To whom do you dedicate your game? Make your dedication here
Viracocha

To my late father.

Post by Viracocha » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:48 am

Though I've been playing A&A since the Nova edition... I'm new to this site, and this is my first post.

My father served in the 1st and the 20th armored divisions of the United States Army, was a corporal. He was just a kid from a place barely considered a village in South Dakota, a farm boy who'd never been to the state's capital, thrown into the horrors of WWII. I heard some really interesting stories from him... I didn't hear the bad ones until I went with him to one of his army reunions. Then I understood why such a stalwart man had gotten misty while watching the Holocaust movie, and why we had to leave Saving Private Ryan, my dad shaking every step. He'd read the newspaper or happen to have something to do nearby when my friends and I played Axis and Allies, on occasion taking an interest and telling us something - all of us in rapt attention for these rare, golden moments. But he never wanted to play, despite reading the rules and taking an interest in my painted miniatures (later years) - especially the tanks. His crew was proud of their Sherman, I also recall him telling us that he was "Scared shitless" the first time they encountered German tanks... "But did what we had to do." He would laugh and say that they stuck him in a tank because he was wiry and he could drive a tractor (he was really good with engines, and after the war he eventually became an engineer). I recall that he was furious when he found out that I'd joined ROTC during my undergraduate years... I remember thinking I was smart and quoting him in the argument, "The army did do me some good - without it I would never had moved to a bigger city and become an engineer." But his response was, "I did those things so you wouldn't have to... and I didn't have a choice. It was something we had to do." He was a good man, but even beyond that, he was a great father. So yeah... my A&A dedication is to my dad.

Larry

Re: To my late father.

Post by Larry » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:13 pm

A South Dakota farm boy... My God these men saved the world!
This site has been once again profoundly hornored by the slight mention of these kind of men on its pages...

Viracocha... may I respectively suggest that you learn all you can about the history of your Dad's experience. Begin with following the movements of the 1 Armor Division and that of the 20th.

Thank you

Viracocha

Re: To my late father.

Post by Viracocha » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Larry wrote:A South Dakota farm boy... My God these men saved the world!
This site has been once again profoundly hornored by the slight mention of these kind of men on its pages...

Viracocha... may I respectively suggest that you learn all you can about the history of your Dad's experience. Begin with following the movements of the 1 Armor Division and that of the 20th.

Thank you
Hello Larry,

Much obliged for your words, sincerely appreciated. As to your suggestion, I can't help but chuckle - with no disrespect whatsoever. But I could relate in great detail the training, deployment, conflicts, and general armament/equipment of said armored divisions during WWII... I could even tell you several of the (personal) names/slogans of the tanks, and some soldier's nicknames, that intensive study started years back (eh eh eh - when others hear my brother and I banter over a wargame - rare that it is since I live overseas now, they say we sound as if we were there... and we kinda were). I can even quote a couple things Gen. Ike (supposedly) said that you won't find in any history book. The really fantastic thing is, I have many tapes of my dad and his fellows talking - and let me tell ya, they're scary, often funny, often sad, and more than anything - they're all golden. More than once they talk about some of the action... and well, everything. I haven't listened to them for quite some time, still kinda tender about hearing my Pa's voice and all. But yeah... they're in a safe, and someday I look to transfer them into some audio files. I think you of all folks would appreciate them, I'll keep you in mind.

And though I'm sure you've heard it, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you. Your years of hard work has provided me (and thousands of others) years of good times. You didn't just provide a nonsensical escape, but much more. Over the years it's changed, but the results were always beneficial - now it's a time of comradeship and brotherhood, meeting old friends (and family in my case), and for the duration of the game - it often feels that I'm younger again.

Sincerely,
John M.