Lawrence H. Harris - My father.

In Axis & Allies Revised I asked - To whom do you dedicate your game? Make your dedication here
Larry

Lawrence H. Harris - My father.

Post by Larry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:48 pm

I wanted to let you know about the passing of my father Larry Harris Sr. He was really an extraordinary man in so many ways. I know I spoke of him often and his photo has appeared on many Axis & Allies boxes and rule books. My family and I buried him on November 2nd, 2010. He received a moving military burial with full honors. It was presided over by a General officer.

Lawrence Harris Sr., 88, of Fredericksburg died Wednesday, Oct. 27, 2010, at Mary Washington Hospital.

Mr. Harris retired from the United States Army after 20 years of service. He was a combat veteran of World War II, a recipient of a Bronze Star and the Combat Infantry Badge and a Korean War veteran. He continued to serve until his retirement from civil service with the Army at the Pentagon and the Navy Space Command at Dahlgren. Mr. Harris received the Army Commendation Medal and the Meritorious Service Award from the Department of Defense in recognition of contributions he made to the United States government and the armed forces. He was a talented artist and illustrator.

He was the inspiration that created the Axis & Allies series of games.

elbowmaster

Re: Lawrence H. Harris - My father.

Post by elbowmaster » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:01 pm

My families thoughts and prayers go to yours.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Larry wrote:He was the inspiration that created the Axis & Allies series of games.
And thus he inspired untold numbers of people, the vast majority of whom he never even met. It's humbling to think of the far-reaching impact of this man's life.

Larry, we all share in your loss to one degree or another. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

PDXDuck

Post by PDXDuck » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:30 pm

My condolences to you and your family.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:13 am

Sorry to hear about the loss to your family. Your tribute was very inspiring, thank you for sharing.

Von Deekin

Post by Von Deekin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:50 pm

Larry,
My deepest condolences to you & your family on your loss. I know how heavy your heart must be at this time & I wish I had the words to lessen your pain. I also lost my father, a World War 2 veteran, eleven years ago & can honestly say that not a day goes by that I don't think of him. Their memoy lives on through us.
Sincerely,
W. Targo
(Von Deekin)

Carico67

Post by Carico67 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:52 pm

I picked a sad time to peek in at the bords here Larry. I send you my best wishes through hard times boss; and I'm close enough if you need any help in any way with anything please let me know and I could drive up etc.

Kreighund said it well, as he always does, that your fathers effect on many of our lives is tremendous. I view it like the earth tremor that no one directly see's or hears below the oceans depths. Its vibration creates waves, that perhaps creates a tsunami, and that leaves its mark upon the world directly and indirectly around it for a long, long time. If he is the inspiration for the game(s) then I owe him thousands of hours of gratitude alone; and I am but one of many.

Condolences, Chris Collins
Carico67, Vice Chairman Axis and Allies Members Club (www.aamc.net)
email me for help or questions about PBEM; Carico67@hotmail.com