Mike Masino...a friend I met because of this game.

In Axis & Allies Revised I asked - To whom do you dedicate your game? Make your dedication here
Builder_Chris

Mike Masino...a friend I met because of this game.

Post by Builder_Chris » Mon May 02, 2011 2:25 pm

I met mike through the Rocky Mountain Axis and Allies Meetup Group; a gaming group dedicated to playing just the game of Axis and Allies.

He found our group in June of 2010, attended his first game with us on July 10, 2010 and attended the next 11 game nights that we had over the next 5 months. He really loved this game, had a passion to be great at it and he enjoyed helping others to be good at it as much as he enjoyed having opponents to beat at it and he's the reason that our group went from meeting up once a month to meeting up every other saturday. he loved this game!
IMG_4237.jpg
Mike...the happy camper
IMG_4237.jpg (114.64 KiB) Viewed 4129 times
I admired him from the first time that I met him because of his natural ability to meet new people; he seemed to have no inhibitions what so ever and he had a wanderlust that not only showed in his enthusiasm for the game but in his life style; he was only joining our group for a few month since we was committed to traveling the US in a camper for the next ten years. He was just 27, and seemed to have a desire to see and experience new things. We spoke several times at our game nights about how I admired his guts for just packing up and heading off “when the time was right”.

I found out yesterday, Sunday 4-30-2011 from his best friend Nicole that he recently committed suicide.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/courie ... &fhid=9373

I don’t know the details, and I don’t know the reasons and I don’t know the pains that he must have been experiencing in his life that would have driven him to take his own life but I know he has made an impact on me and my life is better for having known him. I know I will think of him often; probably every time I sit down to play this game. He has affirmed what I have always believed, board games are not just for having fun in your free time but their the best thing for building friendships. I only had the joy of playing this game with him till the wee hours of the morning on 11 occasions. I spoke with him just a handful of times between game nights on the phone or through texting since he left Denver to continue his traveling lifestyle at the end of last year and yet I feel a huge hole in my life because of his passing.

Thanks Larry for the game that made a difference in not only my free time but has impacted me with friendships that I never would have imagined.
Attachments
IMG_3936.jpg
Mike and Nicole struggle with what to do...again.
IMG_3936.jpg (141.49 KiB) Viewed 4129 times
IMG_3853.jpg
Mike debating the weight of the situation
IMG_3853.jpg (114.35 KiB) Viewed 4129 times
Construimus, Batuimus -- "We Build, We Fight.".....we party all night!

Larry

Re: Mike Masino...a friend I met because of this game.

Post by Larry » Wed May 04, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm so sorry. This is so tragic.