Making the playing time "shorter"

What do you want to see in an advanced A&A game?
Share your thoughts... Contribute to the ultimate A&A game design.
Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:00 pm

Sounds like some of the ideas that are being considered here. I dont feel that its realistic to not allow othe nations to gang up on a third. In fact USA and britians operations were exclusively coordinated during the war, They frequently timed offensives to follow a soviet operation in the east , though the soviets didnt give them notice of such an attack.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:32 pm

Thank you for your comments CanucKev. More objectives would make the game longer on the surface. In real world it may actually make it end quicker. I don’t know at this point.

BTW – I don care much for you limitations on who can attack and can’t attack. I think Imperious joins me in that belief.

CanucKev

Post by CanucKev » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:02 pm

Maybe limitation was a poor choice of words ;)

Obviously, in the advanced game if a power would be able to properly defend itself against 3 attackers at once (in a certain territory), then I'm in full support of it, too ...

However, I'm referring more to the 2nd edition (and hence maybe this isn't the best place for this, but I digress). The Axis are already at a disadvantage. For example, if on one "Allied" turn, each of UK, USA and USSR brought in 3 fully loaded transports to land on Western Europe, the Germans would get shelled.

Any power would still be able to attack any territory - I was just saying, only one could enter any given territory. However, maybe it would be too much of an advantage for Germany to get to reinforce in between every wave (first UK, then USA, then USSR, for example). I suppose three small battles is the same as one big battle ... Well, I guess I'll have to experiment to see if it will actually work.

On a different topic, one neat thing from the advanced game would be a representation of the distrust between the USSR, and the UK/USA. Yes, the USSR was on the allied side, but they were none too comfortable with the others ...

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:15 am

Comments noted
The relationship between the USSR and the allies is being considered in several different ways. Great minds ...

d6veteran

Post by d6veteran » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:24 pm

New to this board but I've been a player and fan of AA ever since 1985 when I first stumbled upon the game.

Playing time has not been an issue for me with the AA series of games. Anything that I can start at 5pm and finish by midnight, with a break for pizza, is great.

If the Advanced game is to be a world map like the revised game then I would hope the playing time would be as long as AA(revised), without going over 6 hours.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:56 pm

It wont since the alllies and axis take their turns together as teams
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

d6veteran

Post by d6veteran » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:51 am

Imperious leader wrote:It wont since the alllies and axis take their turns together as teams
Tangent here (feel free to split).

I'm guessing this has been worked out, but won't lumping the turns together push the game towards the first turn syndrome?

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:21 am

ok they take their turns seperatly as teams. what i meant