Cost...

What do you want to see in an advanced A&A game?
Share your thoughts... Contribute to the ultimate A&A game design.
elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:02 pm

hey thats a great idea!!!

you must know the same guy i know ;) MUAHAHAHA...

sorry, inside joke, and Imperious knows who i am talking about...hehehehe...

elbow

cousin_joe

Post by cousin_joe » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:00 pm

Here's an idea:

Playing A&A online is quite popular these days as well. If you could produce a CD version (to include both realtime and PBEM play) at the same time as the board game, you could include a $5.00-$10.00 coupon off the other format (in addition to encouraging purchase of the other format, it's also some free advertising)

Market both of these simultaneously (saving costs). Price both at about $60-80 each, and with the coupon, most people would have more incentive to buy both. BAM! Smaller Costs, Bigger Profits! :D

Series

Post by Series » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:17 pm

As a younger axis and allies gamer, I don't have no $250 I'm gonna be throwing away at a board game, unless it had a metal board, metal pieces, metal chips, metal charts, a metal rulebook, metal dice with diamond pips... ok, I'm getting a bit carried away. But the point is, I would be willing to spend $100, but only if I really saw quality. I think anything above 65 would be a bit ridiculous unless we saw at least some major metal components. I would not go over 150 under any circumstance, actually. Just my 2 cents...

And be extra careful with these rules! One mistake or typo is not acceptable with a $100 game unless the FAQ team got on it RIGHT away!

cousin_joe

Re: Cost...

Post by cousin_joe » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:31 pm

Larry wrote:How much would you be willing to spend for the ultimate deluxe game of Axis & Allies. Or - is cost a factor and should it be kept low? Would you spend $100.00 and what would you expect to get for this kind of money?
From what you're telling us, this is what I'm thinking we'll be seeing in the next edition:

A HUGE Gameboard
-30" x 50" seems the consensus
-maybe put a gold or platinum trim around the edge just for that little extra bit of pinache :D
-3 folds max like 2nd edition please (not a 6-fold - seems cheap)

Approx 450 plastic playing pieces
-metal just too expensive and heavy
-these would be nation specific as in Revised
-New pieces would be Cruiser unit, PLUS one unique unit for each country (Rus Katyusha, Ger Panzer, UK Commando, Japan Super-Battleship, US Marine)
-also consider AAGuns to be color-coded, and destructable

Industrial Production Certificates
-these work fine, and are less costly than chips

Rulebook
-perhaps include a laminated one-page Quick Summary card (?double-sided)

12 12-sided dice
-2 colors

A New 5-sided Battleboard
-instead of new units per country, each country's base units can have slightly different attributes (weaker Rus INF, stronger Ger ARM, etc.)

Storage Trays
-the game should be entirely self-sufficient, we should not have to buy our own fishing trays or sewing kits to use with the game :D
-please no styrofoam, and consider a lid with the placement info built right in

Sufficient Plastic Chips
-don't skimp on these, this is the most common complaint. Consider a new blue 10-unit chip

Control, and Aircraft Markers as needed
-make sure to use good,thick cardboard stock
-hopefully Marshalling Cards/Markers will be unnecessary if board is big enough

Assuming everything was of high quality, and provided in more than sufficient amounts, I would be willing to pay at least $60-80 US for this. Co-produce the CD version simultaneously with a coupon for the other format in each, and you're looking at pretty good profits for reasonable costs, while at the same time, keeping the customer happy with what he's getting :D

Orillian

Post by Orillian » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:09 pm

cousin_joe wrote:

From what you're telling us, this is what I'm thinking we'll be seeing in the next edition:

A HUGE Gameboard
-30" x 50" seems the consensus
-maybe put a gold or platinum trim around the edge just for that little extra bit of pinache Very Happy
-3 folds max like 2nd edition please (not a 6-fold - seems cheap)

Roll up board!!! But hard to package! :(

Approx 450 plastic playing pieces
-metal just too expensive and heavy
-these would be nation specific as in Revised
-New pieces would be Cruiser unit, PLUS one unique unit for each country (Rus Katyusha, Ger Panzer, UK Commando, Japan Super-Battleship, US Marine)
-also consider AAGuns to be color-coded, and destructable

15 Inf, 12 tanks, 12 halftracks, 12 artillery, 10 fighters, 5 bombers, 6 transport planes, 5 battleships, 5 cruisers, 8 destroyers, 10 subs, 10 transports that's 110 units per player + depending on IC changes 10-15 IC's about 15 AA guns, and if fortifications are a plastic piece as well add 30 of these. so that about....610 odd units. :) now that's what I would like to see.

Industrial Production Certificates
-these work fine, and are less costly than chips

I like the bills!! I'm not so keen on coins...they are harder to tuck away! I play Civilization and the coins in it are one of the things I dislike the most. Maybe add two packs, so we have a backup package...or be sure to provide extra online for individual purchase. Take a good look at Eagle games, you can buy the entire game as parts directly from them...makes them one of my favorite game companies around. I've order parts from them on a number of occasions and they are fast. Having that support there to help the player maintain their investment is VERY cool!!

Rulebook
-perhaps include a laminated one-page Quick Summary card (?double-sided)

I like this idea alot!!!! a quick reference chat would rock! Even a single reference map that shows the initial unit placements directly on the map. for all counties! Woot!

12 12-sided dice
-2 colors

12 or 10 dided dice don't matter, BUT make sure there are close to 24. Big battles are a pain when you have to share the dice back and forth. Especially since me and the friends use dice rolling towers, and if you have to swap back and forth it takes to much time away. People should be able to roll simultaniously!!

A New 5-sided Battleboard
-instead of new units per country, each country's base units can have slightly different attributes (weaker Rus INF, stronger Ger ARM, etc.)

Might get a bit crowded...but if designed well could be good....at the advanced level though...do many of you people even bother with the battle board anymore? I know we don't. It never comes out of the box.

Storage Trays
-the game should be entirely self-sufficient, we should not have to buy our own fishing trays or sewing kits to use with the game Very Happy
-please no styrofoam, and consider a lid with the placement info built right in

I like storage trays, BUT they take up space in the initial packaging, might be hard to have them added. I hope they are there, but if their not, I'll go pick up my regular ones from walmart! :P

Sufficient Plastic Chips
-don't skimp on these, this is the most common complaint. Consider a new blue 10-unit chip

THis is a must!!! I know even with getting extra from AH, My revised games still push close to the limit of chips I have. A ten spot might be nice. all that red, white and blue stacks on the board, so very patriotic...can we get them in green instead?

Control, and Aircraft Markers as needed
-make sure to use good,thick cardboard stock
-hopefully Marshalling Cards/Markers will be unnecessary if board is big enough

The larger game board, UNLESS it gets crammed full of new small territories and seazones would negate the need for Marshalling Cards. we play on some nice 30x50 game boards for A&A and Revised and we never use marsheling cards etc...to much room to need them. As for the plane markers...they tend to be a bit of a hastle most days. Mine are sitting in the bottom of the box somewere.

Assuming everything was of high quality, and provided in more than sufficient amounts, I would be willing to pay at least $60-80 US for this. Co-produce the CD version simultaneously with a coupon for the other format in each, and you're looking at pretty good profits for reasonable costs, while at the same time, keeping the customer happy with what he's getting Very Happy

A CD version would be nice, but the added cost of producing a GOOD PC version is very prohibitive. I'd suggest maybe packaging a copy of TripleA with the game if people are wanting the game on CD! And regarding cost...welll I'm thinking if I could get the game for around the $100 mark I'd be happy!! So ya, I THINK C.J. here is on the right track! ;)

cousin_joe

Post by cousin_joe » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:49 pm

Okay, quick response to Orillian:

-I think we'll be getting a foldup with a firm backing. I just don't see rollup working. 2nd Ed board was fine and fit on most tables.

-I think you're right about unit counts actually. If the naval and air units are going to be more appropriately priced (ie. lower), we will likely need more of these.

-You got a point about the dice. How about a grand total of 20 12-sided dice? That would be 10 for Axis, 10 for Allies.

-We don't use the Battleboard, but if each side is going to have slightly different combat attributes for each nation's base units, perhaps a pentagon shaped battleboard would be necessary
-this board would have a smaller pentagon contained within it
-the defenders would be placed in the inner pentagon, and the attackers on the remaining ring surrounding the inner pentagon - this gives a sense of the attacker closing in on the defender
-the pentagon would be further divided into it's 5 slices, one per country
-this would serve as a quick reference for unit attributes, esp. if they are going to vary between nations

-If we're going to shell this kind of money, we shouldn't have to go buy our own trays
-A lot of people were miffed by this with Revised, and the same mistake should not be repeated
-forcing people to buy things that should be included will decrease customer satisfaction

-A CD of this would sell like hotcakes, esp. if paired with board game sales. Again though, it must be of good quality.

Lobo

Post by Lobo » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:41 am

Keep in mind gentlemen that Advanced Axis & Allies is not replacing Axis & Allies Revised. If I understand Larry correctly (and I've been corresponding with him on this for a while) it is a complementary product. It's meant for veterans of AAR that now desire a more complex game without resorting to a monster game that takes 3 weeks to complete.

Orillian

Post by Orillian » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:12 pm

Lobo: you don't have to corespond with him for long periods of time to understand that! He says it bluntly throughout his posting here in the forum, and I do agree with him, on that note...A_A&A should not become A&AR with a couple extra pieces.