New system

What do you want to see in an advanced A&A game?
Share your thoughts... Contribute to the ultimate A&A game design.
adlertag

New system

Post by adlertag » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:23 pm

NEW CONSEPT

Attacker do a combat move as usual.
Resolve one round of combat as usual and remove casualties.

And now the news.
*The party with less land units must retreat to another territory.

I liftet this from Combined Arms 1939-1945, the new Swedish game.

example
Germany attack Russian occupied Ukrain
After resolving one round of combat, Germans have 6 inf, 2 art and 3 tanks left for a total of 11 land units. The 4 fighters do not count.
Russia have 5 inf, 4 art and 1 tank left for a total of 10 land units. This is one less than Germany, so the Red Army must retreat to CAuacasus.
Can you dig it??
This reflects the reality, since no nation would fight to the last man, but quit when they had less men. This will shorten the play time, since less dices are rolled.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:55 pm

I have this in some of my games that only allow one round of combat (with exceptions: major cities). The player who lost the most units (or took the most damage) is the retreater.. if a tie then the attacker retreats.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:16 pm

Imperious leader wrote:. The player who lost the most units (or took the most damage) is the retreater..
That sucks.
Germany attack with 4 bombers and lose 3 of them.
Russia defend with 12 infantry and lose 4 of them.
According to your brilliant system Russia must retreat. :lol:

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:56 pm

That rule applies only in ground combat. Air vs. ground is handled differently. And no please dont use a naval example, because it doesnt cover that as well. I can post the entire rule if this helps you to get the idea.

basically it replaces what a AR or DR result would be on a CRT, because after all each unit rolls for itself, rather then the "classic wargame" approach of adding values and creating a ratio of combatants. major cities or victory cities can become a target of a major seige so no retreats in these cities (well its voluntary.. so you dont have to stay)

If air units perform a specific mission, they basically get a free attack on ground forces unless the defender can call up DAS, or Air Interception mission in which case a round of aerial combat occurs first. If any attacking forces survive, then the balance can commit to the attack otherwise its broken off by thedefender.

I also have advance after combat and allow only adjacent combat... you dont move pieces into the enemy space, you just attack the neighboring space.

This style of retreats etc. goes for War in the East, Battle of the Bulge, and Kursk
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:39 pm

KISS, mr Leader, do that have a meaning to you ?

New targeting system from big Eagle

*Rule 1. Units on the same level may target each other first, then take casualties the usual way.

Ex.
A battleship that succed, may first pick another battleship as casualty.
If no such ships inline, then defender picks a cassualty.

A fighter that succed may first pick another fighter as casualty.
If no other plane in line, then pick the usual way.

An artillery may pick another artillery as casualty. Then pick as usual.

A Tank may pick another Tank as casualty. Then pick as usual.

Can you dig it ?

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:22 pm

So under that system if you attack with those 4 bombers, some infantry... then if the infantry hits 4 times.. you lose 4 bombers? NO i dont dig that because infantry cant shoot at level bombers w/o AA support from artillery. So id say thats an antiquated combat model- and no i dont dig it as you have explained these rules from that great comic book game company.