Map (look, size, color, topography, material)

What do you want to see in an advanced A&A game?
Share your thoughts... Contribute to the ultimate A&A game design.
Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:35 pm

OK DEC. 7th 1941... ill plan my work accordinally thanks.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:55 pm

I'm not saying that it should be that date I just mentioned it as the date that
Larry had previously mentioned as the "final" starting date... It is up to the map team to determine whether you they want to change that or not...

GG
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

Sabre Von Manteuffel

Post by Sabre Von Manteuffel » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:23 pm

GG,

if the intent is to incorporate those things we KNOW Larry has already stated he wants and run with them to add/tweak different concepts to them for the greater good, then don't change it!! I was just unaware, and caught me by surprise that 6 months PRIOR to all the other AA stuff does drastically change the initial set up and feel of the game.

BTW, you're old Avatar was better, now when I read your posts I can't take my eyes off that animiated penguin!! :lol:
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English, thank an American Veteran!

Defiance

Post by Defiance » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:43 pm

Now a year later, I now favor a map that is capable of starting at multiple dates. The ones I favor are as follows:

- sept 1939 pre-poland invasion
- spring 1941 pre-barbarossa, after Balkan offense
- dec 7 th 1941 pre-Pearl Harbor

With each having a different setup and specific rules (example rule USA production till at war is 1/3 in production), this could really make the game more versatile. Possibly each setup with a certain depth within the rules. example 1941 setup has less difficult rules and less playtime.

Why these dates? I would like a game that starts with as many strategic choices as possible, and starts with an axis with alot more military stuff, and allies with stronger economies.

This way axis needs to conquer till they reach and equal economic production (or not and thus lose). IMO, this way the game lifts till an epic moment: will the axis be able to quickly get a victory, or will they eventually be beaten by the allied economies on the long run?

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:47 pm

I agree with the 1939 map with the 1941 start date. That way Larry gets what he wants and so do we...But its up to the map team...
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:24 pm

Sabre Von Manteuffel wrote:GG,

if the intent is to incorporate those things we KNOW Larry has already stated he wants and run with them to add/tweak different concepts to them for the greater good, then don't change it!! I was just unaware, and caught me by surprise that 6 months PRIOR to all the other AA stuff does drastically change the initial set up and feel of the game.

BTW, you're old Avatar was better, now when I read your posts I can't take my eyes off that animiated penguin!! :lol:
Agreed... Some stuff we can change but I think since that would change the scope of the game it would be better if we were to keep that... and no I intend to keep cracking up :twisted: ... And maybe I am wrong but I think that is real...

GG
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

Dunckelzahn

Post by Dunckelzahn » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:57 am

Defiance wrote:Now a year later, I now favor a map that is capable of starting at multiple dates.
It will be unique to have a map where there is a better chance on creating different scenarios. Personally I would like to see short game starting in july 1943 (just before Kursk and Invasion of Sicily), can the axis keep the allies away from Berlin and Tokyo long enough to win the game (10 turns with four turns each year).

GG I just keep cracking up whenever I see that penguin, so please keep it :)

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:56 pm

Code: Select all

Personally I would like to see short game starting in july 1943 (just before Kursk and Invasion of Sicily), can the axis keep the allies away from Berlin and Tokyo long enough to win the game (10 turns with four turns each year). 
Well that would not require any map changes, only different starting positions of the units. I do think we need scenarios for 39,40,42,43,44 for the shorter games and it may solve the "shorter games" thread.