Playing pieces (quantity, color, numbers, different types)

What do you want to see in an advanced A&A game?
Share your thoughts... Contribute to the ultimate A&A game design.
SecretAgentMan

Two-piece ship

Post by SecretAgentMan » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:09 pm

I also like the two-piece ship. They could be home-made. All you need is a BB hull from one of teh A&A plastic minis, sanded to a smooth top. Or you could make them out of sheet styrene using the A&A BB as a template. These generic hulls could be counters that are put on a chart, and then replaced when the "build" is complete.

GROGnads

Just a reminder

Post by GROGnads » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:30 pm

I'd like to point out that THIS 'discussion' is concerned WITH the '3' NEW pieces that are proposed FOR the "L.H.T.R." Please keep that in mind then. We should begin another 'dedicated' TOPIC about the other NEW pieces that are being proposed, and I will ask that these comments regarding those, be placed within such. I have many of them myself, so I may just get busy upon this, in order to bring forth the 'concepts' that are being mentioned, and many others as well.
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:26 am

Sorry, old chap, but I can't quite get my head around the board at the moment.
Threads to the right of them
Threads to the left of them
Was there a man dismay'd?
Indeed there was

But why is the idea of a 2-piece ship getting so much pooh-pooh?

After all Larry's COTE now has a 2-piece catapult.

You'd think I was suggesting radio-controlled tanks...

One more thing I'd like to see is magnetised mini chips in the pieces coded to starting positions. So, by just pouring a bucket full of units over the board, voila! - you have an instant game set up.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:32 pm

Code: Select all

One more thing I'd like to see is magnetised mini chips in the pieces coded to starting positions. So, by just pouring a bucket full of units over the board, voila! - you have an instant game set up.[quote]

That has never been brought up before...To extrapolate the idea further... you have a number of starting pieces that have some larger bottoms which state the territory and quantity of that type of unit, while the additional pieces do not have these special bottoms... Is that what you propose?  HMMM ... id take it a bit further and add the historical unit designation as well  ... so you got the 4th panzer corps starting in say the balkans? you can also go further and print the value of the pieces under the base, while some could be stronger than others and create that "stratego" effect... more thinking should be done in this area if feel it would be profitable for the project.  I like it better than the 2 piece idea to be truthful.[/quote]
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:35 am

Axis N dallas and others... where is your report? please post so we can move forward.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

GROGnads

Here's what I 'have' so far then

Post by GROGnads » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:58 am

Well, here's the '3' pieces that I have in "mind" for this and you can judge for yourselves upon them ALL then.

"MECH Infantry"
AXIS =
German 'Sdkz 251'-Halftrack w/"Panzer Grenadiers" in this from the "Pewtercraft" collection. I've already 'made' them up with the appriopriate COLORS of these for my "Axis" forces, including 'Italian' ones.

Western ALLIES =
USA 'M-3' Halftrack w/"top" or w/o from "CinC" or "GHQ" or etc.
UK 'Bren Carrier' w/"Brits" within this from either "CinC" or "GHQ" or etc.
USSR 'Ba-64' Armored Car from either "CinC" or "GHQ" or etc.

I've 'modified' MY own 'Bren Carriers' and placed some "Troops" within this for the "looks" of it.

Anyone ELSE can also obtain the "Table Tactics" kind for this while you'll need to then 'make' those into the required COLORS for this.

"Cruiser"
ALL = 'generic' piece molded in appropriate COLORS for EACH while this may be also become "metal cast" and then require 'painting' for those too. With the 'one' of mine that "AxisNDallas" and "thoes426" have for this, then it would be most "cost effective" to produce that in just the ONE "form" for the time being. For those who can, then either obtain the "Historical" kinds in 1/3000th scale or 1/4800th scale where you can find these. I know that "CinC" does make some in 1/4800th scale for the GERMANS and BRITISH naval forces, but they need to expand upon these to include the many others. As for the 1/3000th scale kinds, then I leave that up to another to provide a 'source' upon them.

"Transport Aircraft"
ALL = 'generic' Aircraft with '2' engines and/or with '4' engines for "Heavy" type. I'm using a 1/700th scale "Ju-52"s for this in the meantime, while even "C-47"s are out there somewhere, but I don't have any just yet.
For the '4' engine "Heavy" type then I do have an "example" of this of which MORE could become 'made' with that.

How's about THIS 'all' then? I've discussed upon these with a certain 'someone' around HERE where I'm at, and HE says that it is much easier 'dealing' with "metal castings" rather then ANY others. Maybe ONCE a "cottage industry" for this ALL were 'established', and only then, could serious considerations be given upon OTHER "forms" or 'materials' for them. So, either "put up" or you know the 'rest', that is "go without"!
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:24 pm

Great .. but Aaron had made an extensive chart of the pro/con of using different pieces.. Can you ask him to post?