Surface raiders

Have you been playing with some house rules over the years - or even recently invented, that you'd like to share?
nexus73

Surface raiders

Post by nexus73 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:57 pm

For the Anniversary game I bought a collection of different pieces from different places, with two being rather unique., a pair of golden Monopoly battleship tokens. I figured to use them to represent surface raiders. Obviously in a board game one has to be able to see the pieces while during the war, finding those German ships was tough, so I figured they would be assigned a zone in one of the oceans (Pacific, Atlantic, Indian) at the start of the German turn using a dice toll. Wind up next to a transport and it's a kill! Find yourself alongside a warship and blows get exchanged with the raider rated at 2/2. It seemed like a fun idea at the time!

Rick
Bad dice happen. Blame the Russians...LOL!

timerover51

Re: Surface raiders

Post by timerover51 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:37 pm

It is an interesting idea, but overstates what a raider could do. Each transport on the board represents a large number of ships, while there simply were not that many merchant raiders in World War 2. Yes, they did some damage, and did discourage independently routed ships, unless fast and well-armed, but massive sinkings in a short period did not occur. Then there is the case of the Liberty Ship Stephen Hopkins sinking the German merchant raider Stier, showing that raiding was not that easy as the war went on.