Tech Dice

Have you been playing with some house rules over the years - or even recently invented, that you'd like to share?
WILD BILL

Tech Dice

Post by WILD BILL » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:43 pm

I was thinking about using a different break-though roll for tech, and wanted to know if anyone else has done this in past games. I haven't seen this before, but that doesn't mean ppl haven't done it (or came up with something similar). FYI I plan on using the G40 charts (for now).

Tech roll cost 5 IPCs (get two dice), and you can only buy one pair per turn. You roll them both looking for a total of 7, or doubles for a break-through.

If you get a 7, then you choose a chart and roll one dice to determine what tech you get (like normal).

If you roll doubles you get to pick your tech from either chart that corresponds to that number. Say you roll double 2's, you get to pick from Rockets or Jet Ftrs.

Edit:
There are 36 possible combo's w/2 dice, tot of 7 being the most common. So w/6 combo's for 7, and 6 combo's for doubles mean that 12/36 (or 1/3) would be a break-through. That's 2x what you get with the standard 1/6 roll OOB (throw a ways for G40)

Also thinking....

Option 1
Being able to purchase more then one pair (maybe up to two pair for 10 IPCs) of tech dice and roll each pair independently increasing your odds for a break-through 2X (might make it too easy though).

Option 2
I'm also thinking about if you don't get a break-through, the next time you roll for tech you get a 1 IPC discount and pay 4 IPCs for the pair of tech dice (continued research). Then if still no breakthrough you pay 3 IPCs the next time and so on, until you get to 1 IPC for the pair of tech dice. From there you can pay 1 IPC every turn until you get something. When you get a tech, you of course would start all over at 5 IPCs per pair.
Last edited by WILD BILL on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wvguide

Re: Tech Dice

Post by wvguide » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:20 pm

I like the idea, but maybe the doubles only come in to play after a certain turn?

The progressively lower payment is representative of the idea of reaching for a scientific goal and coming up empty one time, but having more information for the next attempt. The only consideration I have there is in keeping track of what IPC value you're at for your rolls. But, I do like that idea.

I don't like the option to pay for 2X rolls though, I think with the 7 and the doubles a single roll per turn is enough.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Yeah I'm not sure either option would be necessary because you already have a 1/3 chance of getting something (instead of a 1/6 OOB). I did like the decreasing scale though for when you miss, because as you said it shows a continued investment and it gives you an incentive to continue.

I just really don't like how the G40 tech rolls work and when you invest heavily (buy multiple dice) you get nothing if you miss and loose the entire investment. AA50 (Anniversary) was cool when you got to keep your dice, but in G40 I can see why it isn't done that way with all the income the US gets they would just buy the game. That is also why I agree that option 1 may be going over board w/buying 2 pairs of dice.

adamrpal

Post by adamrpal » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:33 pm

House rule for Global 1940

Every Country Starts with one research token (AA50) and may not posses more than two research tokens at a time. Every country can therefore role one dice per turn until they get a technology, two if they pay 5 IPC's for a second, and then pay or not for one or two more tokens if they want after their eventual breakthrough.

Research works they way it should, a role of one six results in a technological breakthrough, two sixes results in two breakthroughs.

For those of you who did not buy AA50, research tokens represent your teams of scientists working on research. One token equals one dice, but the token is only removed after a tech has been successfully researched. So you role for your token turn after turn until you get something for it.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:55 pm

The problem is not the system of techs, it is rather the techs themselves. They just make no sense.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adamrpal

Post by adamrpal » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:03 pm

Hello imperious leader, what house tech rules do you play with? Have you created any new techs? Got a game starting this weekend, would like to try any new ideas if you have them.