Bonus +1 ipc per territory controlled

Have you been playing with some house rules over the years - or even recently invented, that you'd like to share?
Black_Elk

Bonus +1 ipc per territory controlled

Post by Black_Elk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:37 am

OK this is the most basic, simplistic formulation of the rule I could think of... But it still does a lot of things I enjoy :)

Rule: During the collect income phase for each Nation (each turn), a +1 ipc bonus for each territory that Nation controls, added to the money already collected that turn.

option: collect bonus at purchase units instead

The idea here is an option to increase the money in play, without increasing the production. Has the following effects...

-more cash for purchases

-gives all territories a basic economic value, without distorting too wildly the balance of the starting production distribution.

-encourages more conflict in every theater of play

-mitigates the influence of the starting unit set up to some degree, allowing for a bit more flexibility over time via purchasing options.

any thoughts?
Last edited by Black_Elk on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Black_Elk

Re: Bonus +1 ipc per territory controlled (at collect income

Post by Black_Elk » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:50 am

ps. If anyone else out there has tried this rule, I'd love to hear any feedback.

The idea started as a way to make use of the extra pieces from my second box of 1942.2 (the backup board), and because I always found it fun to introduce a bit more cash flow, as it seems to encourage the purchase of ships and more exotic builds generally.

If anyone is curious, in 1942 second ed. the first round follows essentially the same game flow as the out of the box set up, but in round 2 you have some interesting new options.

Russia in the first round typically collects a 12-14 ipc bonus with this rule. Bringing their total up into the 40s. This not only gives them more staying power, but can also facilitate the purchase of aircraft (Like a fighter to replace the one in Karelia, if you go for a baltic attack etc.) Or you can go heavier on the ground, to stall a German tank advance. Things like that. Retaining control of the core territories keeps you closer to 30 in later rounds, giving you some much needed extra fight.

Germany also gets a healthy boost, but relative to the other Allied gains, it is still under a lot of pressure to get the war going before the Allies catch up.

UK is the player that has the most to gain from this rule. In the opening round, they get the largest income bonus, but also have a lot to do, and the bonus advantage is tied to territories controlled, so you have to use it well, as your lands are being overrun. Depending on where you attack in round 1, you can get a boost of 20+. It gives you some essential flexibility in defending India while also not neglecting the Atlantic. It also helps you to commit more resources to Europe or the Med in later rounds, but again Britain loses ground fast, so this advantage can swing to Germany or Japan depending on how the game unfolds.

Japan like Germany gets a healthy boost, and with this rule in play can do more to stall a complete KJF rout... But they also have a lot of island territories which are opened up to economic attrition (since every territory now has a potential value of at least 1 ipc gained on a bonus). There are also the Anglo American forces in Asia/Pacific to contend with.

USA under this rule has more money to dedicate to the fighting early on, and throughout the game, making the purchase of air, ships, transports, and ground forces less burdensome, and can also thus get troops out into the fight in earlier rounds of play.

Well these are my findings anyway, and I think it makes the game pretty entertaining.

If you like to try this house rule in one of your games, please do let me know if you found it fun :)

Rule: During the collect income phase for each Nation (each turn), a +1 ipc bonus for each territory that Nation controls, added to the money already collected that turn.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:22 am

This is an interesting rule, and I can see how it gets the IPC's flowing. Not sure about if it makes sense though when 1 ipc territories in remote areas get doubled, but high production territories get the same 1 ipc bonus (each round).

When Larry comes up with NO's the axis generally get a bonus for capturing a group of territories, and the allied bonuses are tied to regaining those captured lands, maintaining there own territories, or just interfering w/axis plans (Russia can go either way). I think to a certain extent your rule does that, but I'm not real comfortable with getting a bonus for all your original territories, and doubling up the 1 IPC territories in your control every turn (liker in Africa/China). It doesn't require a great deal of effort IMO (too much easy $$).

Maybe a one time 1 IPC bonus for capturing an enemy territory, or for liberating a friendly territory (which would of-coarse include your own)? That way you actually had to do something for the bonus, and conquering Africa isn't worth an extra 11-12 IPCs every turn.

I know this wouldn't get as much bonus income into the game, as your original proposal, but at least you have to work for it. If you wanted more income you could increase it to 2 IPCs (still one time bonus). Maybe even go with 2 IPCs for capturing an enemy territory, and 1 IPC for liberation (depending on how things balance out)?

Just a suggestion WB

Black_Elk

Post by Black_Elk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:26 am

Thanks for the input Wild Bill! I'm glad the thought of more cash interests you as well.
I see the point, about discomfort at inflating somewhat the value of all territories equally, but the advantage is that it's very easy to implement. Just count up the gains and add to the total. And as a global rule, it can be added to the games that came out in the past, like Revised, or newer ones like 1942.2 without the need for specifics. So easy house rule, for quick adoption across various versions of A&A.

When you say Africa isn't worth 11-12 ipcs, do mean that you don't think it is worth conquering, or fighting over, for only a dozen ipcs? or like in the abstract way that you think that that particular value is too high on a bonus? Or did you try a game and see it go one way too decidedly?

The way it works in mine, the value of Africa, Asia, and the Pacific is too hard to ignore, so it is contested. In the same way that every territory is contested, beyond just it's base economic value or strategic position, but also because of the territory control bonus.

Any territory with a base value of 2 of more is also increased in it's strategic value and thus even more contested (because more money is floating around in general, but production is still limited) so any territory plus 2 or more has a greater potential value as a factory location. Instead of pulling back and turtling around the core, each Nation has more motivation than ever to strike out and expand around the board. Even islands and road bumps at zero production, still have a real value to be contested under this house rule.

I think of this bonus cash, and this aspect of the game's overall economy, as less tied to the nascent production of any given territory, but better understood as economic influence or logistical reach over the broader regions. In practical terms, the bonus money, which is still relatively evenly distributed across all 5 nations at the start of play, allows for the purchase of more stuff, and more varied unit builds. Just more units in play overall. That's why I like it. A battleship, or a cover fleet, or aircraft, or ground stack, or a factory, all the interesting purchases its possible to make are more likely to occur once you introduce an extra dozen or so ipcs into the equation for each player each round.

Well I think it's fun anyway :)
If you get a chance to try it with a friend, I'd love to hear the results.
Best
J

Black_Elk

Post by Black_Elk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:47 am

ps. I can think of a couple ways a rule like this could be applied. I'll call the rule Territory Bonus just for simplicity

1. Territory Bonus is applied at the collect income phase.
2. Territory Bonus is applied at the purchase units phase.

The first is described in the posts above. +1 ipc per territory controlled at collect income.

The second is a more dramatic bonus at the outset, since it could be applied in the first round: +1 ipc per territory controlled, added during the purchase units phase. Has the interesting quality that after round 1 territories must be controlled for the duration of the round to be applied.

Territory bonus at purchase phase also gives the maximum advantage to Russia, because the Russians can now make full use of their production capacity in the first round. I think this may be the best approach to a game like 1942.2, and a possible alternative to a bid?

Either of these variations on the rule could be used in each round. Or if you prefer they could be restricted to the first rounds. Or Alternating rounds...
Allies round 1, Axis round 2, Allies round 3 and so on. Depending on your preference...
It seems flexible to me. But I like the idea of applying them universally, for simplicity.

The reason I like this sort of rule over more specific NO's, is that it is very easy to learn and to track. Just count and add to the total. You don't need to learn and remember a unique rule for each Nation to introduce more money into the game. (Although conceivably things like NO's could be added in as well, or other rules, if you favor a more complex game.) But this keeps it nice and straightforward, and it builds off the out the box set up and production numbers, so its easy to adopt.

Also to Wild Bill's point about the disparity between a base zero territory out in the middle of nowhere, and a core territory worth a lot more in its base value (both get a bonus of +1 in my scheme, the same as every territory) the logic is this: The core territories are already weighted more heavily in their ipc base value, and starting factories are even more valuable too under this rule, because of the production limitations everywhere else. So it's not so skewed towards the zero value spaces as it might seem. That said, the promise of at least +1 ipc always makes a more tempting target than 0, whatever the strategic value of the territory. So in all theaters of play the rule promotes combat over territories that might otherwise get ignored.

I am starting to think especially in 1942, that the territory bonus at purchase units phase makes sense. An alternating round scheme for the bonus intrigues me too, because the first boost could go to the Allies, who seem to need it, but then in round 2 the Axis get their chance, back and forth. So each side has an incentive to hold out and hang on, and fight their way through the hard times into the next bonus round. :)

For example The first bonus round in 1942.2 could go to the Allies, then Axis. Whereas in Revised, you may wish the first bonus round to go to the Axis, then Allies.

Alternating each round. Easy to adapt. Could replace a bid? Well, there are at least a lot of possible ways it could be introduced, I personally favor every round, always in play, but what do you think of the general concept? I think it has promise, as a quick way to up the income without introducing much more complexity. Any thoughts?

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:37 am

Black_Elk wrote:ps. I can think of a couple ways a rule like this could be applied. I'll call the rule Territory Bonus just for simplicity

The first is described in the posts above. +1 ipc per territory controlled at collect income.

The second is a more dramatic bonus at the outset, since it could be applied in the first round: +1 ipc per territory controlled, added during the purchase units phase. Has the interesting quality that after round 1 territories must be controlled for the duration of the round to be applied.

What you've done is to increase every territory on the board +1 IPC when you count them up at the end of your turn for income. I guess it's ok to call it a bonus for lack of a better term.
0 to 1
1 to 2
2 to 3 etc

At the beginning of your turn would be better IMO because you only get that extra bonus IPC for territories you still have in your control from the turn before. If you lose a territory to the enemy between turns, you don't get the bonus. As for getting it at the start of the game, you don't have to apply it to starting income. That way a power who's turn is earlier in the turn order doesn't get an advantage over a power later in the turn order on the first round.

PS many ppl house rule collect income at the beginning of their turn instead of the end. They feel that you shouldn't get paid for temporary gains, only what you maintain round to round (like your #2). This stops multiple powers from collecting income from a single hot spot territory in one round of play.

Black_Elk

Post by Black_Elk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:38 pm

Exactly, and whether or not you want it to apply in the first round, or every round, or alternating is up to you. Since the rule is simple and flexible like that

I've played before, shifting the collect income phase to the beginning of the turn instead of the end. It does lead to less dead-zoning of territories, which has definite impact on the playstyle people adopt. I'm not sure which way I prefer in general, but I think this house rule for the bonus should be easy to add in if you like to play that way as well.

One advantage of applying the bonus at purchase units in round 1 (to starting income I mean) is that it gives Russia a decisive boost, at least in the 1942 set up. Since the consensus view seems to be that Russia gets steamrolled by Germany in 1942.2 without some kind of bid for Allies... But even without a bid, this rule increases the Russian starting cash up from 24 ipcs to 35 ipcs, giving them much more to work with into the second round. This combined with the British bonus (which can be used for fighters, or ships, or India cover etc, gives Russia a hand too, by proxy.) The question I think, is whether it's best to have the territory bonus apply to both sides equally each round, or to alternate rounds Allies then Axis. I'd be very interested to hear any results from other game groups.