Optional method of factory production

Have you been playing with some house rules over the years - or even recently invented, that you'd like to share?
Vincent

Optional method of factory production

Post by Vincent » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:00 pm

I’ve been toying with the idea of house rules for factories for quite a while. I like the idea of having major and minor factories. But I think their production capacity should be somehow tied to the economic value of the territory in which they are located. Britain being theoretically capable of cranking out 10 battleships in India seems a bit odd to me. Or, for that matter, Australia cranking out 3 (or any, if you are looking at historical accuracy). So here goes:

Major IC: Instead of producing 10 units of any kind, the factory can produce 10 times the printed economic value of its territory. For instance, if the Major IC in Britain is undamaged, it can produce up to 60 IPCs worth of units per turn. That’s 10 tanks, or 20 infantry, or 6 fighters. Western Germany can produce 50.

Minor IC: Can produce 6 times the printed value of the territory.

(Note: I’m also considering reducing the Major IC in India to a Minor IC, but adding another Minor IC to West India. This would prevent battleships and carriers from being produced there, which seems realistic to me. But if the British player wants to spend the money on upgrading it, that would also seem realistic, since it’s a major investment.)

Now this obviously necessitates changes to strategic bombing and repairs. So each point of bomb damage reduces the multiplier by one. Example: If the factory in Western Germany takes 4 points of damage, it can only produce 6 times the value, or 30 IPCs worth of units. Repairs restore the multiplier at a rate of 1 times the economic value per IPC spent on repairs.

Now, what I’m wondering is if this is going to play havoc with game balance. It will almost certainly mean some players will have to adjust their favorite strategies. No more cranking out 3 bombers per turn in South Africa, for instance.

I figure this probably won’t make much difference for the US player. Yes, he can theoretically crank out 320 IPCs worth of units between the East Coast and Central US. But I figure that under the current rules he can basically spend every dime he’s likely to get there anyway.

Now what has me worried is Russia. Would this completely screw the Russian player? If he is building nothing but infantry, it wouldn’t make any difference at all. So my question is: Has anyone ever seen a Russian player use a production strategy that would actually be hampered by these rules? I’m thinking the usual lack of income would tend to have the same effect anyway, but I’m not sure. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I’m thinking that if it does cause problems, maybe I could add another minor IC in Caucasus or Rostov. Or perhaps one each in Urals and Timguska, giving the Russians a special exception to the rule requiring a territory to be worth at least 2 IPCs. This would give it a somewhat historical flavor, if you considered it to represent the railing of factories to the Urals during the war. Maybe not let the Russian player build there until he is at war with Germany?

Edit: I originally said a multiplier of 5 for Minor ICs. It should be 6. Also, Australia would need two Minor ICs (in Queensland and New South Wales) instead of 1.

Caractacus

Re: Optional method of factory production

Post by Caractacus » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:51 am

This is very nice indeed. I have a used quite a few variants in the past myself, and some have been very similar. Usually, however, mine are one step too complex. This rule seems easily implementable.

Me like.
Caractacus.

adamrpal

Post by adamrpal » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:39 pm

That sounds like a workable rule, though more indepth for the average joe to have to do yet more math.

I would like to try a new rule as well:
Ships can only be constructed in territories with naval yards.

Vegetius

Post by Vegetius » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:05 pm

There should be another type of IC that is only capable of recruiting infantry at the max of the IPC value of the territory, exclude Islands if you want.