Ammunition

Have you been playing with some house rules over the years - or even recently invented, that you'd like to share?
Imperious leader

Re: Ammunition

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:16 pm

Not good for typical AA scale. Possible replacement for something in Guadalcanal or Bulge since these are operational games
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:37 pm

Thanks for your response Imperious Leader.
I'm sure you're right that introducing ammo would further add complications to already complex and time consuming AA games. I just wish some elements of the game were not allowed to run ad infinitum such as the assumption that enough quantities of ammunition are always available to fight every battle.

It's a bit like hearing each turn represents approximately six months of time and the next thing you know you're still fighting WWII in 1978! But in the interest of playability I can understand the restraints. Thanks again; I always enjoy your comments and approach to the game.
Pete

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:33 am

What you might be trying to model is the cost that a general offensive is to a nation. You could limit combat to one round, and charge the attacker 2-4 IPC for each round representing the cost of a sustained attack. After the Germans invade Russia for the first time, you would need to give Germany some deal or it would imbalance the game.

In Avalon Hills Third Reich, you have three options for conducting warfare:

Offensive option ( 15 BRP's but only works on the front selected: west, east, medd)
Attrition Option ( no cost, roll a die and the enemy must give up X spaces, must lose Y units)
Pass option ( nothing really happens except movement)

I think this would stymie the Axis more, since they are behind the gun economically. But then again, you can tie the cost of running a war with having the axis secure oil centers which could generate IPC on their own to help mitigate the costs of "shooting"
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:00 pm

Imperious Leader,
Thanks for your advice. I pulled my copy of Third Reich off the shelf (3rd Edition around 1982 - $29.95) and plan to study the ponderous 32 pages of rules. On the cover of the box is a sticker that reads "FOR AGES 8 AND UP". I'd like to meet that 8-year old!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall Larry saying the complexity of Third Reich spurred him on to design a simpler, more understandable version of WWII; which lead to A & A.

I've got a feeling however, for me to grasp the BRP concept would require the help of you, Stephen Hawking, and IBM's Watson all in the same room. But I sure appreciate you taking time to write.
Pete

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:07 pm

Third Reich is a game about managing your nations economy. I play 2nd rules, but i understand that 4th edition is a must play because they had the same issues as Global 40, and Europe 40 with sealion.

I love the notes and info in the back of the rules, but anyway..

The key to what you advocate should be perhaps a fixed cost for unlimited combat on a front, or against one foe. then all other combat could be one round otherwise. But with this you can see the piece density will increase in general, which presents another problem to solve.

Or add oil centers on the map which create " Income" to make attacks only ( not build) and you have to manage that, perhaps each oil center is D6= number of rounds of combat?

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:05 pm

Imperious Leader,
I really admire your contributions to gaming.
I'm intrigued by your "oil centers" idea mainly because my favorite AA game remains Europe (1999) where oil income plays a role. It's worth a re-visit to that part of that game to see if a house rule can be developed around your concept. I would also like to report back if a house rule about "oil centers" can lend itself to Larry's other games as well. Thanks for your mentoring.
Pete

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:37 pm

Consequently, capturing oil centers could cost the original controlling player D6=IPC lost

So in the Soviet Union, Germany captures Baku and Russia loses a D6 worth of IPC and Polesti is captured and Germany loses D6

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:42 pm

Imperious Leader,
To begin, we'll need to know the source of all the major powers "oil centers": their accessibility and vulnerabilities. Germany's use of synthetic fuel must be taken into account, as well as Hitler's determination to protect Ploesti at all costs. However, if "oil centers" are to be used to champion attacks there has to be more of a connection. It may take a domino effect where enough "oil centers" have to be present to lubricate industry so that new units can be produced along with the necessary ammunition to carry them into combat. I may be complicating it too much (as I tend to do) and your illustration is most likely a perfect example of Occam's Razor. Thanks for keeping the fire burning.
Pete