1941 - cards, battleships and tanks.

Have you been playing with some house rules over the years - or even recently invented, that you'd like to share?
Cantab

1941 - cards, battleships and tanks.

Post by Cantab » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:28 am

CARDS

I have started using a standard pack of cards when playing 1941. Each player draws one card at the start of the game and can only ever hold one card at a time. The suit indicates what type of units they may purchase:

Diamonds - Land units (tanks or infantry)
Hearts - Air units (fighters or bombers)
Spades - Naval units (subs, destroyers, carriers, battleships, transports)
Clubs - One type of unit only (e.g. only infantry or only battleships)

The player does not have to purchase units if they don't want. If they have spades, but do not want a naval unit they can discard the card and draw another, but cannot purchase units till next turn. They still collect there IPCs. The player may also choose to trade with an ally player (if the ally agrees), but again cannot purchase till next turn.

This simple mechanic speeds up purchases and it also means you cannot always get the exact army makeup you want unless you are prepared to wait. It is not too restrictive (you do not run out of infantry) and it makes the game a bit different everytime. I prefer this to players purchasing the exact same units at the same time every game. Players have to adjust their strategy a little bit depending on their purchasing options. Do I keep discarding each round till I draw a heart so I can get a bomber or do I just buy a submarine (I have a spades) and attack next turn?

The historical accuracy could be that production of military hardware was often dependant on resources available at the time. Rubber, aluminium, fuel, iron.

"You go to war with the army you have...not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time." - Donald Rumsfeld

BATTLESHIP

I play with the battleship costing 20 like other versions of axis and allies.
A damaged battleship can move 1 not 2 (it gives the opponent the chance to hunt it down).
The battleship must get back to one of your factories (adjacent sea zone) where it will be repaired (for free) at the start of your next turn.

TANKS
I was thinking of making tanks give another infantry +1 on attack ( 2/2 ) just like artillery does in other versions of axis and allies (1941 does not have artillery). Even with the reduced IPCs and limit on the number of units factories can produce the infantry stacks start to make an appearance, so I want to try reduce the infantry push mechanic.

This will undoubtably unbalance the starting game in favour of the axis as Germany starts with a lot of tanks, but it could be fixed by taking some away or adding a few infantry units to the allies.

Well those are the changes I have made (so far). Let me know what you think and if you have any other tweaks to 1941.