Captured Technology

Have you been playing with some house rules over the years - or even recently invented, that you'd like to share?
User avatar
Imperious leader
Posts: 5207
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:04 am
Location: Moving up to phase line red...

Re: Captured Technology

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:32 pm

If the spies can be so efficient - (50% chance of the tech), how come capturing an enemy capital with all the possibilities for turn-coats, poorly-destroyed prototypes, tortured/coerced scientists and lost/forgotten/badly-disposed-of papers doesn't at last give a 1-in-6 chance? Or a bonus of +1 to your next roll for a tech which that nation has but that the conqueror doesn't? Go on...you know you want to... :wink:
They only get one roll per game to obtain tech, they are just useless except to act as fodder for counter spy kills.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

dirk2243
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: Captured Technology

Post by dirk2243 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:46 am

Caractacus wrote:
The second one is a source of massive annoyance for me - though I am aware that others don't agree. I HATE the fact that I can buy many rolls with a certain tech in mind and a) not necessarily get it even after many turns and many rolls, b) not even be ANY NEARER AT ALL after all those turns, and c) then get a random tech that is possibly worse than useless for my power. :evil:

Finally, I think there should be a better system for getting help from allies that already have the tech, some form of advantage from repeated research attempts, and possibly a bonus from capturing major enemy points of production or capitals, etc.
Well...the whole, I have a tech in mind but don't get it.... ehhh.

In "reality" it would be called a scientific breakthrough "I guess". Idealy your country is working towards all of them, just what "area" makes the breakthrough first. Adds that factor to the game of the unknown to a degree.

And to have allies help you develope "techs" .... for game purposes I could see making a dollar cheaper here or there, or your allowed to roll for that one tech instead of all of them. But in the "real world" we wouldn't always share our advantages.

Caractacus
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:18 am
Location: Turku, Finland

Re: Captured Technology

Post by Caractacus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:49 pm

dirk2243 wrote:
Caractacus wrote:
The second one is a source of massive annoyance for me - though I am aware that others don't agree. I HATE the fact that I can buy many rolls with a certain tech in mind and a) not necessarily get it even after many turns and many rolls, b) not even be ANY NEARER AT ALL after all those turns, and c) then get a random tech that is possibly worse than useless for my power. :evil:

Finally, I think there should be a better system for getting help from allies that already have the tech, some form of advantage from repeated research attempts, and possibly a bonus from capturing major enemy points of production or capitals, etc.
Well...the whole, I have a tech in mind but don't get it.... ehhh.

In "reality" it would be called a scientific breakthrough "I guess". Idealy your country is working towards all of them, just what "area" makes the breakthrough first. Adds that factor to the game of the unknown to a degree.
And THAT is what bugs me. Why are Stalin's men working so effectively on Super Subs when he is asking for Heavy Bombers? Why?

How come the Manhattan Project wasn't beaten to it by US Super Subs?
dirk2243 wrote:And to have allies help you develope "techs" .... for game purposes I could see making a dollar cheaper here or there, or your allowed to roll for that one tech instead of all of them. But in the "real world" we wouldn't always share our advantages.
But we did. The UK gave everything it knew to the combined research led by the US. After development, the US shared the secret of the bomb with those who had worked with it.

The reasons are manifest: give your ally help in fighting and you yourself have to fight less as a result - lose fewer men, spend less treasure.

As a final way of looking at the absurdity of random results, it's weird that if I don't fund any research types with IPCs absolutely nothing gets invented, but as soon as I invest my first 5 IPCs in Heavy Bombers, I could develop any of a set of 6 randomly selected...
Caractacus.

dirk2243
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: Captured Technology

Post by dirk2243 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Caractacus wrote:
dirk2243 wrote:
Caractacus wrote:
The second one is a source of massive annoyance for me - though I am aware that others don't agree. I HATE the fact that I can buy many rolls with a certain tech in mind and a) not necessarily get it even after many turns and many rolls, b) not even be ANY NEARER AT ALL after all those turns, and c) then get a random tech that is possibly worse than useless for my power. :evil:

Finally, I think there should be a better system for getting help from allies that already have the tech, some form of advantage from repeated research attempts, and possibly a bonus from capturing major enemy points of production or capitals, etc.
Well...the whole, I have a tech in mind but don't get it.... ehhh.

In "reality" it would be called a scientific breakthrough "I guess". Idealy your country is working towards all of them, just what "area" makes the breakthrough first. Adds that factor to the game of the unknown to a degree.
And THAT is what bugs me. Why are Stalin's men working so effectively on Super Subs when he is asking for Heavy Bombers? Why?

How come the Manhattan Project wasn't beaten to it by US Super Subs?
dirk2243 wrote:And to have allies help you develope "techs" .... for game purposes I could see making a dollar cheaper here or there, or your allowed to roll for that one tech instead of all of them. But in the "real world" we wouldn't always share our advantages.
But we did. The UK gave everything it knew to the combined research led by the US. After development, the US shared the secret of the bomb with those who had worked with it.

The reasons are manifest: give your ally help in fighting and you yourself have to fight less as a result - lose fewer men, spend less treasure.

As a final way of looking at the absurdity of random results, it's weird that if I don't fund any research types with IPCs absolutely nothing gets invented, but as soon as I invest my first 5 IPCs in Heavy Bombers, I could develop any of a set of 6 randomly selected...
I agree...some are just beyond crazy, but if Russia is "honestly" rolling for techs, then there probably at a point where it could use it in the near future. (supersubs) On the other hand if Russia is rolling for techs just to push the victory.... then the money spent would have been better used on tanks and inf instead.

Your right, we did share our techs with Britain...but not so much with Russia as neither trusted the other completely. So I do agree with you for game purposes share and share alike. Or let your country roll for just that specific tech that your ally has! Or make it cheaper perhaps for dice towards that tech...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests