Using Blockhouses in all Axis and Allies games

Have you been playing with some house rules over the years - or even recently invented, that you'd like to share?
Yavid

Using Blockhouses in all Axis and Allies games

Post by Yavid » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to use those blockhouse pieces from D-Day (as a blockhouse) in all Axis and Allies game. Larry kind of didn't give us alot to work with as far as a smooth transition. We have no cost, it has an ability that doesn't translate well, and it's a unit that doesn't move that is better at attacking than defending
Behold the Power of Yavid

Imperious leader

Re: Using Blockhouses in all Axis and Allies games

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Each Blockhouse costs 3 IPC

They boost infantry and Artillery only +1 in defense and the number of boosts is limited to the the printed IPC value in area.

The +1 lasts for all rounds as long as you got defending Inf and Art.

Also, you cannot build more than one per territory.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

pellulo

Post by pellulo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:03 pm

You could used them as the Maginot Line for a 1940 scenario for the Western Front W.W.II, thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:04 pm

lol i realize possible uses. it's more the rules for defensive fort. I'm not sure about.

adamrpal

Post by adamrpal » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Blockhouses cost 15 IPCs - Defensive Fortifications- Up to five defending infantry defend at 3 or less. Blockhouses can fire up to two times for 2 or less at transports used for amphibious assaults against the territory a blockhouse is in. Bombarding ships can target the blockhouse, and each successful hit removes one roll from the blockhouse's ability to target transports.

Capturing a territory with a blockhouse - Either destroyed or no benefit until the capturing countries next turn. (Prevents its immediate use during a counterattack)

Justifications-
5 Infantry cost 15 IPCs, 15 IPCs for a blockhouse is 30 IPCs total for what is essentially 5 tanks -30 IPCs, except the tanks can still move and they attack at a 3, while the infantry dont attack at a 3 and only defend at 3 with the blockhouse. There is an advantage if the defending Infantry repel an invasion, destroyed infantry can be replaced cheaper for what it would cost for a tank, as well as the ability to shoot at transports.

This adds a little more fun and planning to bombardments. Also tactical or strategic bombers could be allowed to target the defenses to knock them out. For every 3 damage a blockhouse sustains one less infantry can defend at 3, at 15 damage points the blockhouse is inoperable.

If you want historical justifications for anything like it think the Atlantic Wall which failed with naval and aerial bombardment or the defensive fortifications the Russians used at Kursk which were overwhelmingly decisive.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:11 pm

I would take a page from Larry's AA1914. I like how he made attacking tanks absorb hits in battles, and art defending an amphib get a kill shot. I would like fortifications to have a similar effect and absorb hits from the enemy to save your inf/art in defensive positions. Also to allow some def units w/fort to get a +1 defensive boost and maybe a pre-empt kill shot at +1 too. Would like to have these benefits given to territories that def both amphibs or bordering land territories.

Maybe,
Have the cost and function blended from that of a minor IC and AB/NB. You can place only one per territory, and it looses function when it takes 3 damage. Cost 12 IPCs, and has built in AA. Takes up to 3 hits saving inf or art that are present in the same territory. It is a defensive facility and will allow up to 3 units to fire +1 twice in the battle.

1st is a one time (per battle) pre-empt strike rolled before the attacker rolls. Up to 3 def units (one must be an art) get a kill shot @ 3 or less (+1), and attacking units are immediately removed (don't fire). Then attacking units fire as normal. *Note bombardment would take place at the same time (simultaneous), so wouldn't effect this pre-empt shot. It could however effect the normal battle if bombardment ended up shutting down the fort w/3 damage.

If the fort is operational when the normal battle resumes the following occurs.
#1 The fort continues to absorb hits from attacking units max of 3 (would include SBR and bombardment shots). Note must be at least one def inf or art present for fort to absorb hits (so yeah it could take 4 shots to kill one inf lol).
#2 Because this is simultaneous up to 3 def units (inf or art) will return fire @ 3 or less (+1) in this round of battle. Causalities are removed from both sides. If the fort is still operational (less then 3 damage) then it will continue to give the +1 to 3 def units (inf or art) in the next round etc.....

You place a damage marker (or chip) under the fort to show it absorbed a hit (saved an inf or art). Once the fort gets 3 damage, it can't absorb hits any more, and the inf/art loose the +1 boost as well. *Note, the fort provides the +1 boost for 3 units (inf or art) until it takes 3 hits/damage and is rendered inoperable.

A fort can be SBR'd as well to shut it down, but like other facilities it has a built in AA gun. 3 damage will shut it down and it won't absorb any hits, boost inf/art or get a pre-empt kill shot. In an SBR a fort can be damaged up to 6 damage (2X like a minor IC). You can buy out damage markers for 1 IPC each (like normal) to regain the defensive benefits again. If the territory is captured, then the facility is removed.

In reality this facility would probably only be operable for the pre-empt strike, and the first round of battle, but could save 3 units (inf/art), and allow them to fire +1 in def for that first round of battle (and preserve then to fire later as normal). If the enemy is repelled the fort could be repaired and be ready to go for the next time. You could do some research and place a few forts at set-up as well.

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:15 pm

I like the idea of using the Tanks from '14 as a model but at the cost of 12 with absorbing 3 hits it would be cheaper to just buy 3 inf. for 9 ipc and you would still get to roll 3 dice in defense. I think the cost would have to be alot lower than 12 and lower than even 9 as I would still just buy 3 inf. for 9 ipc seeing as I can' use the inf. to attack

pellulo

Post by pellulo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Perhaps these ideals can be used in some follow up 1914 game, about the forts at Verdun, thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo