house rules for '41 pieces

Have you been playing with some house rules over the years - or even recently invented, that you'd like to share?
Imperious leader

Re: house rules for '41 pieces

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:18 am

Well USSR did have 3 pre-war Battleships in (by pre-war i mean ww1) '41 and they did have Heavy Bombers too, that lasted all of 3 weeks but they had them. There was no Russian Carriers till the '60s.
The point being is their is no need to make a new Soviet Battleship, yet they did this so the example about "why make a soviet carrier" has the same validity. THe idea is to not have any more pieces that are the same as other nations.
As far as the piece count goes... I'm thinking the game will have a total of 160 pieces, 32 pieces per country, with a total of 16 new sculptors. I think the game will be along the lines of a D-Day type. Quick, Simple and Dirty... I wouldn't be surprised if there is one territory between Berlin and Moscow. The thing that sucks about my piece count thinking is BotB had 157 pieces, and Guadalcanal had 172. So 160 really really sucks. The Flyer does say:
Game Components
160 plastic pieces (32 per nation)
16 new combat unit sculpts
New map
Rulebook
It does say that but in the PDF link before it it says 370 pieces, the 160 are just NEW pieces that are introduced. 160 out of 370

This is found at bottom of PDF and also recounted in previous original PDF>>>

Game board, play
components, rulebook,
370 game pieces
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Ok well seeing as the original link wasn't working for me last night i had to check with Axisandallies.org to see the preview. I understand that the goal is to each nation using it's own equipment but in the case of a Soviet carrier there is zero example of one they could use so we are stuck with the UK flat-top. Also as much as that's an awesome goal to shot for I don't think it's Larry's goal. I believe that would give us plastic pieces we can use for the rules changes we keep asking for. heavy or light tanks, heavy or light carrier stuff like that. If the goal was each army being self equiped then Germany wouldn't get any new units. Your idea that everyone get a new infantry might have something there. Alot of people as for elite infantry. And for the record i would be surprised if they changed or replaced the German 88mm
Behold the Power of Yavid

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:06 pm

The 88 should be replaced with a new 88, it is too skinny and needs bulk.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:18 pm

I agree the 88 should look more like the one from A&AM i'm just saying i doubt they will do it. I think there are more pressing issues like UK and USSR still don't have there own artillery or transports or mech infantry it's all recolored US pieces. And the pencil subs in the game suck more that the 88 does
Behold the Power of Yavid

templeton_UK

Post by templeton_UK » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:58 am

P-40: ( US only)( replace the US fighter in China with this). If attacking enemy land units with no defensive air support, this plane should attack at 4 for each combat round...

3-4-4-11

I just swapped these for the P-38 and made that a long range fighter unit instead. I understand that the P40 may well be the new sculpt?

Tiger Tank: ( Germany only) Can be built with Advanced Tank technology
( replace and discard "war bonds")

4-4-2-8

AVRO Lancaster ( UK only) These bombers can be used to attack Subs w/o a destroyer, but UK can only build them starting on turn 4 in global40.
The Lancaster wasn't really used by coastal command - Bomber Harris not so co-operative! I think the JU-88 rules work better here.

I use the Lancaster and B-17 units as heavy bombers with the +2 SBR to facilities. I also allow the RAF to do night raids, which remove interceptors, but half damage against facilities.

4-1-6-13 (Night Bombing, Urban Area Bombing (IPC damage), +2 SBR)

FW-190 ( Germany Only) Has benefit as an interceptor and if scrambling on
defense gets a +1

3-4-4-10

IS-2 tank (Soviet only) Can be built with Advanced Tank technology
( replace and discard "Improved Shipyards" leave war bonds for the soviets)

4-4-2-8

HMS Hood ( UK player only) The UK player swaps out the BB in SZ 110 with HMS Hood (in G40), Offshore Bombardment.

4/4/2/16 - single hit to sink

He-111 (German player only) This bomber replaces all of German starting bombers, the OOB Bomber is an upgrade to be built with Advanced Aircraft design technology (remove the stupid Advanced Artillery idea) SBR damage 1d6+2

4/1/6/12

Ju-88 (German player only) This bomber is used for terror attacks on enemy VC (london blitz). Doing 1d6 IPC damage to the VC. The IPCs are surrendered to the bank. SBR damage 1d6+2 vs. IC and 1d6 vs. VC. VCs are protected by the AAguns in the territory and don't have there own built in like IC have now.

4/1/6//13 (as per Lancaster advantages)

Akagi Aircraft Carrier (Japan only) replace one Japanese carrier with this unit in setup. Any Fighter-Bombers launched from this unit and attack naval units get a 4 attack rating ( with or without matching fighter) 0/2/2/16?

Leave the OOB japanese carrier alone.

I like the fact we are getting new units. I've always wanted normal and advanced versions of units, especially bombers and fighters. It's also useful to be able to have 'new' battleships, like the Yamato and Iowa with beefed up stats over the regular battleships. Glad to see that we can expect proper Nevada molds, although I've been using the HBG pieces as an interim.