house rules for '41 pieces

Have you been playing with some house rules over the years - or even recently invented, that you'd like to share?
Imperious leader

Re: house rules for '41 pieces

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:40 am

Well there is still work to be done. Consider this:

AA41 has the same piece count as AA42, so reasonably it can be argued that the structure of the pieces by count is the same as AA42.

Axis and Allies Spring 1942 Unit listing
12 Ind. Complexes
12 Anti-air guns
20 Control Markers per Nation

US:
15 Infantry
6 Artillery
6 Armor
8 P-38 Fighters
6 S. Bombers
6 Submarines
6 Destroyers
4 Cruisers
4 Battleships
4 Aircraft Carriers
6 Transports

Japan:
20 Infantry
6 Artillery
6 Armor
8 Fighters
4 S. Bombers
6 Submarines
6 Destroyers
4 Cruisers
4 Battleships
4 Aircraft Carriers
6 Transports

UK:
20 Infantry
6 Artillery
8 Armor
8 Fighters
6 S. Bombers
6 Submarines
6 Destroyers
4 Cruisers
4 Battleships
2 Aircraft Carriers
6 Transports

Germany:
20 Infantry
8 Artillery
12 Armor
8 Fighters
4 S. Bombers
6 Submarines
6 Destroyers
4 Cruisers
2 Battleships
2 Aircraft Carriers
6 Transports

USSR:
20 Infantry
8 Artillery
10 Armor
8 Fighters
2 S. Bombers
4 Submarines
4 Destroyers
2 Cruisers
2 Battleships
2 Aircraft Carriers
4 Transports

10 Dice
10 Red Chips
50 Grey Chips

Now then we got these confirmed sculpts...since they confirmed the same piece count as we really have no reason to suspect different numbers by type since nobody complained about that.

P-40: 8
Tiger Tank: 12
AVRO Lancaster 6
FW-190 8
IS-2 tank 10
HMS Hood 4
He-111 4
Akagi Carrier 4

Total confirmed unique sculpts: 56 out of 160, leaving 104 total with 8 unique sculpts...

so...

Lets see what should be replaced that is not on the list:

USSR Artillery 8 ( its been the same as UK and UK)
USA Artillery 6 ( its been the same as UK and USSR)
Japanese Battleships ( Kongo) 4 ( yamato in 1940 is a joke)
British Artillery 6 ( its the same as USA and USSR)
US Battleships ( early war BB) 4 ( Missouri at Hawaii 1941 is a joke)
Industrial Complexes 12 ( same old crap since 1984)
Anti-air guns 12 ( same old crap since 1984)

leaving 52 and 1 unique sculpt....it seems i picked the wrong ones and perhaps some of the Infantry are getting new poses.

Somebody else take this and come up with another solution. I am pretty sure that AA guns and Factories are getting changed out. That makes 104-24= 80 pieces and 6 unique sculpts left to fill. Wondering if somebody is getting a new Infantry sculpt. Too me the only candidate is the UK because its 'stooping' and is prone to tipping. Japanese may be another sculpt to change ( pointing gun sometimes is broken).

See if you can find a solution to the other pieces....
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:34 am

My guesses are:
USSR: IS-2 tank, Pe-2 Tac. Bomber, B4 M1931 203mm Howitzer or Katyusha artillery. This way they don't just have US artillery

Germany: Tiger Tank, He-111 Stragetic bomber, FW-190 fighter. Already anounced all 3.

UK: Lancaster Stragetic Bomber, HMS Hood cruiser, Bren Gun Carrier Mech Inf. That way they don't just have US Mech. Inf.

Japan: Akagi AC, Konga Battleship, Oscar Fighter maybe Kate TB. But going with my theme. Hi-Ho-1 mech inf. again that way it's not just a copy of the german version.

USA: P-40 warhawk fighter, b-24 stragetic bomber, North Carolina battleship, Essex AC. Japan gets a new carrier so does america, Uk gets a new BB so does America repeat for fighter (german) and bomber (UK)

I think IC are going to be printed on the map :( and can't be purchased. Just to simplify the game. Now that i think about it i'm hoping they don't do but knowing my luck (i have b-29s ty jack) they will do B-29s instead of B-24s. I think AAguns will be colored for each nation but the same stupid unit it's always been. It gets hard to tell who's AA is who's When doing something like an American Amphibious Assault in France and UK Enforces the position. Is the AA American, UK, or French F*** i forgot who it belongs too. unique AA guns would be AWESOME if they are suppose to be a real unit now why not go the whole way with it?
Behold the Power of Yavid

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:26 am

I've been thinking about something, mind you i LOVE the idea of the Lancaster being used by Coastal Command. But with the Ju-88 doing the terror bombing on London I was thinking that this would be a nice time to fresh out the Allied Bombing of Berlin during "The Round the Clock" bombing campaine. Making the Americans bomb under the oob rules and the JU-88 and Lancasters can use these 'terror bombing' rules. Remember the British did to the Germans what the Germans did first. It was tit for tat. That being said it makes no sense to have the tit without the tat. I don't think 'terror attacks' should only take place against enemy capitals, and that they being night raids should not be intercepted (i know about night fighters and i'm ignoring them lack of piece) So what do you say to:

Ju-88 and Lancaster
4/1/6/15 Can attack subs without destroyer present, Terror Bombing

This capital rule only is there because the UK didn't night bomb French civilians in Paris. They bombed Berlin. Berlin, London, Toyko all meet with these type bombing all Capitals. Ciaro, Leningrad, Stalingrad, Warsaw, Paris (both French and German Occupied), Shiang-hi, Hong Ku ect. ect. never faced these attacks only the capitals.
These makes these 2 bombers more line with the original Bomber rules.

Also the B-29 if it becomes or is available should also have this ability.

And lastly what are you thoughts on a B-25 unit? I'm kind of stuck on it. I was thinking decrease attack and range but at what cost and what abilities.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Axis and Allies Spring 1942 Unit listing
Starting with 370 count total...

Bold means new sculpts...total count 160 and 16 new sculpts�The PDF says each nation has 32 new pieces, so 160 divide by 5=32.

US: 76 total pieces --- 32 new pieces ----3 new sculpts
20 new Infantry
6 New Artillery
6 Armor
8 P-40 Fighters
6 S. Bombers
6 Submarines
6 Destroyers
4 Cruisers
4 New Early War Battleships
4 Aircraft Carriers
6 Transports

Japan: 74 total pieces----32 unique pieces---3 new sculpts
20 New Infantry
6 Artillery
6 Armor
8 New Fighters
4 S. Bombers
6 Submarines
6 Destroyers
4 Cruisers
4 Battleships
4 Akagi Aircraft Carriers
6 Transports

UK: 76 total pieces and 32 unique pieces with 4 unique sculpts
20 New Infantry
6 Artillery
8 Armor
8 Fighters
6 New AVRO Lancaster Bombers
6 Submarines
6 Destroyers
4 Cruisers
4 New HMS Hood Battleships
2 New Ark Royal Aircraft Carriers

6 Transports

Germany: 78 total pieces---32 unique sculpts---4 unique sculpts
20 Infantry
8 New Artillery
12 New Tiger Tanks Armor
8 New FW-190 Fighters
4 New He-111 S. Bombers
6 Submarines
6 Destroyers
4 Cruisers
2 Battleships
2 Aircraft Carriers
6 Transports

USSR: 66 total pieces---32 unique pieces---3 unique sculpts
20 New Infantry
8 Artillery
10 New IS-2 Armor
8 Fighters
2 S. Bombers
4 Submarines
4 Destroyers
2 Cruisers
2 Battleships
2 New Aircraft Carriers
4 Transports

as you can see this means 17 sculpts and the total needs to be 16...
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:29 pm

lol that's such an easy solution you don't even see it. Look at USSR, the Pride of the Baltic Fleet a Heavy Cruiser. A major naval building progect was planned and begun but this was in early '41. And with Barbarossa starting less than 6 months later was abanded to save Mother Russia. The is zero need or example of a Soviet Aircraft carrier. cont.ing to use UK piece works fine and with Lend Lease seems logical that if USSR got a carrier it would be of British origin anyway. Carriers were seen as "instruments of capitalist imperial aggression" by the Communist party and accordingly deemed them unsuitable for the USSR.

I don't completely agree with you assesment of the unit count in the new game but that's neither here nor there. I'm waiting for the powers that be hand over a copy of '41 to Axis and Allies.org and let them 'break the story' But it is fun to come up with theories.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:42 am

The point is the unit count and the game is essentially 1942 as stated and so having the same piece count ( or perhaps its off by 5 units) you can conclude the types of units by count are the same.

So knowing 160 of these are new and 32 per nation you just plug in the numbers to get where and which units would be new. It is more than reasonable to conclude the quantity of each unit type should remain mostly the same.
The is zero need or example of a Soviet Aircraft carrier. cont.ing to use UK piece works fine and with Lend Lease seems logical that if USSR got a carrier it would be of British origin anyway.
LOL and yet the new Soviet battleship is SOVIET and not even in the setup...So much for analogies.

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:00 am

Well USSR did have 3 pre-war Battleships in (by pre-war i mean ww1) '41 and they did have Heavy Bombers too, that lasted all of 3 weeks but they had them. There was no Russian Carriers till the '60s.

As far as the piece count goes... I'm thinking the game will have a total of 160 pieces, 32 pieces per country, with a total of 16 new sculptors. I think the game will be along the lines of a D-Day type. Quick, Simple and Dirty... I wouldn't be surprised if there is one territory between Berlin and Moscow. The thing that sucks about my piece count thinking is BotB had 157 pieces, and Guadalcanal had 172. So 160 really really sucks. The Flyer does say:

Game Components
160 plastic pieces (32 per nation)
16 new combat unit sculpts
New map
Rulebook

6- Infantry- Same old Inf.
5- Artillery- Same old Art.
4- Tanks- IS-2 and Tiger replace T-34 and Panther
3- Fighters- P-40 and Fw-190 replace P-38 and Bf-109
2- Bombers- Lancaster and He-111 replace Halifax and Ju-88
3- Destroyers
2- AC- Akagi replace Shin... however you spell it, i don't feel like looking it up sorry
2- BB- HMS Hood... well you get the idea
2- Subs
3- Trans

I think all and all this game will be a let down after Global remember it's suppose be played in 2 hours not 16. I'm thinking D-Day, BotB, Guadalcanal on a Global Scale. I mean the Components don't even meantion basic stuff like dice, chips, ect.
It wouldn't even surprise me if it's a hex map. Sorry just sayin'

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:21 am

P.S. I find that thinking the worst of the new game before it is released making the game better after i buy it. I'm an A&A junkie and will buy just about anything with the label on it.