Now that we have colored AAA guns, what can we do w/AA guns

Have you been playing with some house rules over the years - or even recently invented, that you'd like to share?
WILD BILL

Now that we have colored AAA guns, what can we do w/AA guns

Post by WILD BILL » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:22 am

AA1942 2nd edition has power specific AAA guns (colored anti air art). These new guns follow the rules for AA in Alpha+3 (fire up to 3 shots each, and can be used as a casualty). What can we do with the light gray AA guns (or old white relics) now that we will be buying AA42 to get the new sculpts including power specific AAA guns (you know your gonna buy it).

Here's my take on it (knowing that much of this is other rules I've seen meshed together).

Use the neutral gray AA as an artillery bunker (or machine gun nest) to boost defenses of a territory (it would def a territory from all directions for ease). On a coastal tt it would def from amphib (Atlantic Wall), but would also def the same tt from other land tt as well to simulate the Siegfried or Maginot lines. On Iwo, or Okinawa islands they becomes dug in defenders for Japan, on Gib it helps to defend "The Rock".

House rule:
An art bunker cost 5 IPCs, it is considered a facility so can't move (it's concrete, or dug-in). It has a built in unit (no need to station a unit with it). It fires a pre-empt kill shot every round @ 2 (enemy casualties don't fire back). It fires in the beginning of the combat phase just before normal combat. In an amphib the bunker fires at the same time bombardment would happen, so it would get its pre-empt kill shot on the beach, but then could be taken as a casualty (didn't want to add another part of the combat phase here). It can take one damage (save an inf), but if it is damaged it can no longer fire (like the built in unit was killed). It is never removed, and damage can be repaired for 1 IPC (manned unit replaced) during the repair phase. As a facility it stays with the territory (never destroyed), but you would have to knock out the built in unit defending in order to take control of the territory even if it is the only thing there. If captured you can repair it on your next turn for 1 IPC (re-man it).

Several would be placed at set-up (see below), but you could buy more if you like. 0-1 IPC tt get max of 1 bunker, after that the tt IPC value could dictate placement (cost 5 IPCs each).

For G40 I was thinking you could place one in the following territories, but I may have gone over board.

Germany- Germany (Berlin), W Germany, maybe S Germ, Romania
Russia- Russia (Moscow), Len, Stal, Caucasus
Japan- Japan, Okinawa, Iwo, Manchuria, maybe Caroline Is
UK/Anz- England, Gib, India, Malaya, maybe Kwang, Sidney, Malta, and/or Egypt?
Italy-S Ita and, N Ita
US- E US, W US (like they need it), maybe Haw and/or Phil
France- France , and Normandy (representing the Maginot line, but then Normandy becomes part of the Atlantic Wall.

timerover51

Re: Now that we have colored AAA guns, what can we do w/AA g

Post by timerover51 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Xeno games has had country-specific AA guns since they came out with their first game. They use them as a combined AA-antitank gun. As Axis and Allies already has the AA gun, you might as well use it as a dedicated Anti-tank gun, as just about all of the heavy WW2 antitank guns were based on an Anti-aircraft gun. The only exception would be the British 17-pounder gun.

As for new sculpts, I could not care less. I do need some more tactical aircraft to do what I want with respect to modifying the game. Are they any in the new edition, or will they only be available with the new Europe and Pacific games? I also need more French units, but I am not sure that I am interested in more blue Russian units.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:24 pm

The new unit introduced in 2nd edition is not really much of anything. It needs to become it's own unit.

Lets' call this Heavy Artillery for lack of a better name.

3-2-1-5

1)This unit can move 2 spaces in combat as long as a Mech Infantry is with it, so they can blitz if a tank is also moving ( tanks allow blitz of Mech Infantry at 1:1 basis)
2) The unit rolls 3 or less in each combat round ( no longer purely air artillery)
3) If the unit rolls a 1 in any combat round, it can select the type of unit lost ( either air unit or land unit)

Note: it cant select a bomber lost, only a specific air unit chosen by the defender. On land, the defender must select non-infantry choosing either armor, artillery, or Mech-

This artillery also boosts Infantry +1 AT 1:1 BASIS.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

WILD BILL

Post by WILD BILL » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:18 am

IL, not sure if your saying change the role of the new power color specific AAA unit, or the gray AA unit.

I will say that I like the idea of any unit that fires a "1" in combat gets to take out something more then inf for ground battles (equal or higher ranking unit w/in reason). It would allow air units to kill other air units or a tank etc... I wouldn't mind seeing art roll a pre-empt kill shot in some situations.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Preemptive shot each round would exceed the 5 IPC cost. The unit must be a 3-2-1-5 unit as the other slots are taken.

Allowing the one result to force the defender to lose an expensive air or armor unit brings this unit not only in line with what we might expect dedicated flak artillery, but giving the unit a purpose on land and finally pulling it in line as another combat unit.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm painting my grey AA guns blue and silver so ANZAC and France has color coded AAA like everyone else. Italy will be using it's 88mm from global. I have FMG Italian pieces so i don't need them for artillery. If I didn't I would paint some brown too.
Behold the Power of Yavid

Vegetius

Post by Vegetius » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Use them for V-2 Rockets.

timerover51

Post by timerover51 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:09 am

Vegetius wrote:Use them for V-2 Rockets.
Using the old ones for V-2 rockets is not a bad idea, as long as you have the new sculpts. When I play Classic, as I am doing now, I use the white guns for AA, when I play say Revised, or the earlier versions of the Europe and Pacific games, we use the gray one for AA, but I guess I could use the white ones as coast defense weapons.

I have not felt the need for the new games just to get the new sculpts, given the number of A&A games that I already have, including D-Day, Guadalcanal, and Battle of the Bulge.