House Rules for Airborne Infantry

Have you been playing with some house rules over the years - or even recently invented, that you'd like to share?
mRgUnN

House Rules for Airborne Infantry

Post by mRgUnN » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Dear All:

My thoughts for Airborne Infantry in A&A, looking for comments?

AIRBORNE INFANTRY
Cost - 5
Attack - 1 (2 for the first round of combat when performing an air assault)
Defense - 2
Move - 1 or (3 if assaulting from an airbase)

Airborne troops are specially trained infantry parachute or glider troops which can be used to perform Air Assaults.

Airborne units starting in a territory with an Airbase, may during the Combat Move Phase, declare an Air Assault.

Airborne units participating in an air assault, can move up to three territories, ignoring territorial boundaries as if they were a bomber, and be dropped on that territory. Note, for purposes of an Air Assault, airborne units are considered to have their own intrinsic aerial transportation.

Airborne units participating in an air assault are subject to same Anti-Aircraft Air Defense rules as any other aircraft. (See Page 29 of A&A Europe 1940 2nd Edition Rules)

Airborne units attack at 2 for the first round of combat, there after they attack at 1.

Airborne troops participating in an Air Assault may not retreat until after the second round of combat, and only if there is an adjacent friendly territory to retreat to.

Airborne units move and fight as normal infantry when not participating in an Air Assault.

The following list the countries that can purchase Airborne Units. Players may only purchase airborne units if listed below, and only up to the number of units shown.
Germany - 3
Soviet Union - 4
Japan - 3
United States - 6
China - 0
United Kingdom - 3
Italy - 2
ANZAC - 0
France - 0

wgbutler

Re: House Rules for Airborne Infantry

Post by wgbutler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:51 pm

My thoughts. Airborne infantry are already available in the game through technology. I guess if you wanted this to be more commonplace you could remove the technology requirement. That's what I did in my house rules.

To be honest with you I think the game has too many pieces and unit types already. Adding yet another type of infantry means you have to keep track of another set of units, etc. In a game of this scope its easier to just let infantry units represent all different types of infantry, unless there is a compelling reason to create a new type of unit.

Imperious leader

Re: House Rules for Airborne Infantry

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Germany should have 4, Soviets 2
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.