Fan Photos: A&A: Battle of Stalingrad by Pete E

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
pellulo

Re: Fan Photos: A&A: Battle of Stalingrad by Pete E

Post by pellulo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:55 pm

Perhaps the Memior'44 people could pick it up, as a sub-game for their Eastern Front add on(still looks pretty nifty to me), thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

pellulo

Post by pellulo » Wed May 19, 2010 9:37 pm

I do not notice any supply tokens, does battle take place for both sides at the same time?, regardless I WANT to play it!, thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Thu May 20, 2010 11:25 am

Combat is based on alternating turns with the Germans attacking first, followed by the Russians. During the non-combat phase, both sides replace losses and in addition, the Russians ferry reinforcements across the Volga.

The supply system used is very unsophisticated and is incorporated into the "Length of Battle" used. Because each game turn lasts approximately one historical week (ten turns per game corresponding to the actual length of the battle until the Germans were surrounded: Sept. 13 - Nov. 19, 1942) this is played on more of a strategic level than tactical.

The "Length of Battle" is based on three factors with each element rolling one die to determine the outcome: 1 lowest to 6 highest. The three parts are: Leadership, Troop Morale, and Logistics. Totaling the three dice determines the length of each battle fought in a Battlezone (rectangular bordered area within the city). Rolls of 3-6 yields one battle, up to a maximum of six battles rolling 15-18. It is assumed the higher the total the longer combat units can sustain themselves in battle. I do use the Battle of the Bulge supply tokens to keep track (I told you it was unsophisticated!).

I'm also 90% done with a new 3D Stalingrad city constructed out of "evergreen scale models" styrene. But no matter how hard I try, the results of my game won't "hold a candle" to Larry's Stalingrad creation once he has made the decision to design it. Thanks for asking Pellulo.
Pete

pellulo

Post by pellulo » Thu May 20, 2010 3:27 pm

No need to thanks, thank YOU for such a niffy game design, still want to play it, thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:42 pm

One thing that has always bothered me as a wargamer was picking units that are destroyed after a hit has been registered. I prefer a method that allows the dice to make that decision and I'm wondering if anyone has a system they would share. Here is what I currently use (and I must caution that I only apply it to infantry/tanks):

After a hit has taken place, it must be determined if the target escaped destruction or was destroyed. Using D6, Infantry are destroyed by a die roll of 3+; tanks 5+. This means infantry are destroyed after being hit by rolling a second time of 3-6; tanks 5-6.

If a 6 was rolled, following a hit roll, and there were two infantry present, both would be destroyed because it only takes a minimum roll of 3 to destroy a single infantry unit.

If the roll was 5 then only one infantry unit would be wiped out. This roll would be different if a tank was also in the battle. Rolling a 5 would destroy the tank because they are eliminated with a roll of 5 or 6.

The target(s) is always decided by being the closest to the point total rolled. For example, if a pair of fighters rolled two hits and subsequently rolled a 3 and a 4 (total 7 - multiple hits are always added; never treated separately) and the battlezone contained two infantry (3+ to destroy) and a tank (5+ to destroy) then the two infantry would be destroyed because their total of 6 is closer to 7 than the tanks 5. The total must always be equal or lower (never higher). Always calculate the minimum necessary to determine destruction (3 for infantry/5 for tanks). In this example a tank and an infantry could not be destroyed because this totals 8 points (5 + 3); while our casualty roll totals 7.

So that's how I destroy units. The most frustrating part, and the one that just doesn't feel right using the above method, is how to determine who was hit. If one of you has a way to determine casualties that to paraphrase Einstein is simple, but not too simple I would love to hear it. Thanks in advance for your ideas. Pete

TheoMav

Post by TheoMav » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:47 am

Hello there! What a magnificent effort! My goodness, I give you an AAAA++++ for effort & results! I am an Australian player & am thoroughly impressed with your work on that map! I have been wondering if they were going to produce an A&A : Stalingrad this year(Anniversary of the Soviet victory of the battle) obviously not.
Do you have a duplicate of that map? I am prepared to pay for it,

Kind regards,
Theo

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:18 pm

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:42 pm
I'm sure he's just waiting since 2010 for a reply.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Dear Theo,
Thank you for your compliment. Apparently, no one is interested in recreating the Battle of Stalingrad into an A & A game. It is a battle that is as intense as any you will find scouring the history of World War 2. I wish Larry would undertake the battle, complete with the smell of cordite emanating from the box when it is opened. I'd be happy to share everything within my game (at no charge), but according to the rules of Larry's website, I'm not sure that is possible. Perhaps Larry or Kreighund can clarify just what restrictions apply when you post something here.
Again, thanks for your kind words.
Pete