Flashman's Map Files

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:40 pm

Imperious leader wrote:Those maps are horrible.. It will take 5 years just to sail across the globe. It will take an infantry 2 decades to get to the other side.

Plus Japan is not neutral.

Score of map is 2

also the ocean is too blue. It looks like blueberry pancake syrup.
I agree that the score should be 2. But mainly for the reasons of too many naval and airfields on the map, a white Japan, and too many round symbols all over the place.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

AC

Post by AC » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:03 am

I like the map Flashman.

Why does it go to 1947 though? What about the atomic bomb? Do your rules allow for this?

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:47 pm

AC wrote:I like the map Flashman.

Why does it go to 1947 though? What about the atomic bomb? Do your rules allow for this?
The turn tracker spaces are just for giving each turn a name and season, theoretically the game could go on forever.

No atomic bomb. Really, what's the point in going on if one side has the bomb? I've never been a huge fan of tehcs, but this is just a gamebreaker.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:55 pm

White for Japan makes perfect sense. You're just unable to grasp the idea of changing anything fundamantal from the official games. The naval bases are essential for my naval movement and building rules. There are no air bases. I've done a companion "simplified" map for people like you and Impertinent Leader who can't take in too much information at once, and which has no infantry depots and only the 6 power's roundels.
Seems you two are interested only in how pretty a map is, and to hell with the playability and accuracy.

So... if'n I gets rid of the ports, colour Japan vomit yellow, and delete the roundels I gets a score of 20, right?
Nuclear wrote:
Imperious leader wrote:Those maps are horrible.. It will take 5 years just to sail across the globe. It will take an infantry 2 decades to get to the other side.

Score of map is 2

I agree that the score should be 2. But mainly for the reasons of too many naval and airfields on the map, a white Japan, and too many round symbols all over the place.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:05 pm

Flashman wrote:White for Japan makes perfect sense. You're just unable to grasp the idea of changing anything fundamantal from the official games. The naval bases are essential for my naval movement and building rules. There are no air bases. I've done a companion "simplified" map for people like you and Impertinent Leader who can't take in too much information at once, and which has no infantry depots and only the 6 power's roundels.
Seems you two are interested only in how pretty a map is, and to hell with the playability and accuracy.

So... if'n I gets rid of the ports, colour Japan vomit yellow, and delete the roundels I gets a score of 20, right?
Nuclear wrote:

Score of map is 2

Flashman my remark to express agreement with Imperious Leader is to show that you are not the sole determinate of who decides which map is the best or worest. Who are you to judge other's works? What makes you an expert on map ranking? How are you able to justifiy your ranking system?

Some individuals do care about how good looking the map is. And some individuals care about the colors of the respect nations. Not saying that I do, but some people do care. Your ranking system does not incorporate any of this.

Instead you created an arbitary ranking system based off your personal perferences and not off some more abstract or higher order. You claim to be sticking to historical accuracies. But your areas/zones on the map fail to take into account geographical information. Simply shaping zones differently can account for this difference.

I would also like to know how you make the jump that a more historically correct map is a better one? Saying it is does not make it so.

Your statement of: "I've done a companion "simplified" map for people like you and Impertinent Leader who can't take in too much information at once" is not only insulting to Imperious Leader and myself but does not justify your ranking system nor the quality of your map. You have resorted to personal attacks.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:26 pm

Yea flashman please knock it off...

We use 'Yellow" to describe Japan but in reality its a shade of Tan /Yellow because of a few things:

Japans soldiers wore a yellowish tan uniform in ww2

and a Yellow hue is similar to the rays of the sun which is what Japan hoped to be in the Pacific. White is always to color of neutrals. Their is NOTHING white about japan in any military aspect. If anything Japan should be either Yellow or Orange or Red which incidentally are all very similar colors. You should stop trying to spoon feed us your horse crap at each stage attempting to rationalize your personal preferences as some universally objective judgement, when in fact its your own arbitrary aesthetic of what should be done.

Your aesthetics leave much to be desired from the standpoint of what you feel is most important in making a map. You basically showed up like 6 months ago and have made hell on earth for many but i have put up with you because after all we all want to basically improve things and creatively some of us have a different idea of what that may look like. I suggest you tone down some of your remarks and stop stepping on peoples toes because we have many people who just want to do what they like and will continue to do so.
Last edited by Imperious leader on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Sabre Von Manteuffel

Post by Sabre Von Manteuffel » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:35 pm

Impressive, IL, most impressive.

Very articulate, and good use of English language, well good-ol' American Yankee English anyway. :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English, thank an American Veteran!

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:35 pm

IL;

That's a bit strong from someone who booted Yoper off the .org boards for daring to stick up for poor old Flashy.
I joined this board precisely 1 month and 6 days after you did.

It's really only you who gets the hump with me. Nuclear gives as good as he gets, and I think this stimulates the sort of debate that helps us all learn from our mistakes. If everyone just said "I think your map's really cool, Dude" all the time nothing would ever get improved or corrected.

If you look again at my reviews I'm quite happy to give credit where it's due, as is the case with Staghound's fine map. If you'd post a full scan of your World map I'd be quite happy to give it the same unbiased treatment, rather than just dismissing it out of hand as you do to mine.

You say that yellow and orange and red and tan are all very similar colours. Exactly why I think white is best for Japan as it ties in with the monochrome Euro Axis colour scheme, and contrasts with the reds and brownsand tans and greens of the Allies. Being partially colour blind this is quite important for me. I simply can't use the MB version of the game because the UK tan and Japanese yellow pieces are too close.

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=27135&rendTypeId=4
http://astro.temple.edu/~gurwin/ozeki.jpg
http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/Plan ... 101934.jpg