My Map - Less Distortion in Proportion but Original Topology

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
middleware

My Map - Less Distortion in Proportion but Original Topology

Post by middleware » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:18 pm

I made this map in order to have better aesthetic in game. The original topology is remained so no need to change the already time-proven OOB or LHTR.

Effect

Europe is still as crowd as the original board, representing the intensity of the war which is unproportionate with the span of the land. West Russia is not as "East" as it is on the original board, more close to its realistic location.

Pacific is vastitude so even the most powerful fleet looks very thin with it. Midway and Wake Island is more close to its realistic location that it is on the original board, with the same topology as the original board.

So as Atlantic

:edit

assisted with picture link

EM

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:33 pm

thank you for sharing your photos 8)

EM

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:13 am

Hey nice map!

bravo!
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:54 am

Reds, browns, greens, oranges, tans: oh, my eyes!

I appreciate putting Moscow in the right place, but there's a long way to go with this map. Like so many others you've been suckered into keeping the fictional Rio de Oro. Pakistan did not exist until 1947. The Sinai penninsular is in Egypt not Jordan. Persia changed it's name to Iran in 1935. If you're using the traditional 1942 date then: Brazil was not at war, French West Africa and Madagascar were Vichy.
Conversely, I don't think it does any aesthetic damage to cheat a little by making areas like western Europe physically bigger than they really are. You've kept an enlarged Japan, so why is Blighty so small?

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:30 pm

Flashman: you need to look at the big picture. You have a fixation on the shape of the nuts and bolts and ignore the larger aesthetic. When i buy a new car i am not looking over how the O2 sensor looks but rather the shape of the car and the comfort and engine specs. Thats map is just fine and unlike yours it does not have 5,000 port symbols and 2,000 different flags,and 1,000 different logos and little pictures... its clean and simple and elegant. The colors are fine too.

Id like to see some changes on the brush used to make to contour but thats a minor detail. Id prefer that he replaced the black contours with thicker white lines which will hide the issues with the brush..that brush is got a dirty feel to it with its rough edges and changes in line thickness.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:19 pm

But surely, ultimately, it IS the nuts and bolts that matter more than the aesthetics. What twists my titties is when virtually EVERYONE makes the same repeated mistakes without bothering to study a proper map. They add all sorts of new territories but still allow official A&A maps to overide what they can see with their own eyes.
The maps, as I post them, are not meant to be the final version visually, for example the infantry depots, terrain icons and various other details would be much smaller and less prominent on a final map. I show them this way for clarity of function. For your benefit I'll post a version of my map without this useful information.

If someone can convince me that:

1. Putting Sinai in Trans-Jordan
2. Retaining the fictional Rio de Oro on the Guinea coast
3. Putting Moscow in the middle of the Urals/Siberia
4. Using non-existant territories such as Pakistan
5. Not bothering to research India and just lumping it in as one oversized, undervalued territory
6. Marking Madagascar as British occupied
7. Using obsolete names such as Siam and Persia
8. Insisting that Brazil was at war when it was not
9. Calling Madagascar and Indochina "French" as though there were more than one of them
10. Lumping Lower Saxony and Denmark into a "Western Europe" territory when the same technical effect can be achieved much more aesthetically by redrawing the sea zone boundary in a more sensible place

makes a map more aesthetically pleasing perhaps I'll consider doing these things myself.

For me, the repeated inclusion of these historical errors IS a hugely unaesthetic practice, because I want a game which attempts to simulate history to take place on a map that looks real.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Then buy a map that was published in 1939 and then make your own maps so they will be realistic.

nearly everyone of your points is incorrect:

1)Sinai peninsula is part of egypt
2)Rio de Oro is a colony of Spain and its in the correct place ... just below Morocco
5) India does not have to be 'researched' and its value has to be relevant to its contribution in the war and balancing issues
6) This is a way of dealing with NOT having to deal with Vichy...because they are not relevant in a highly abstracted game.
7) Persia is another common name attributed to Iran ( its like America and the United States)
8)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_war. Your wrong again.
9) Madagascar and Indo China were part of the French colonial empire
10) that is a subjective opinion.

I think you should scrutinize the game of "Risk" next.. that map does not have any Rio De Oro to kick around.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:47 pm

Imperious leader wrote:Then buy a map that was published in 1939 and then make your own maps so they will be realistic.

nearly everyone of your points is incorrect:

1)Sinai peninsula is part of egypt
2)Rio de Oro is a colony of Spain and its in the correct place ... just below Morocco
5) India does not have to be 'researched' and its value has to be relevant to its contribution in the war and balancing issues
6) This is a way of dealing with NOT having to deal with Vichy...because they are not relevant in a highly abstracted game.
7) Persia is another common name attributed to Iran ( its like America and the United States)
8)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_war. Your wrong again.
9) Madagascar and Indo China were part of the French colonial empire
10) that is a subjective opinion.

I think you should scrutinize the game of "Risk" next.. that map does not have any Rio De Oro to kick around.
1. Yes, that's what I said.
2. No, it isn't. He's put it where Liberia should be and left the correct place for R de O blank.
6. It was very relevant. Churchill had to launch an invasion of the place to stop the Japanese using it for submarine bases.
7. So on your maps you call the USA "America"? Wonder how your Latin American neighbours feel about that.
8. August 22nd. AFTER the start date of virtually all versions.
9. Yes, you miss my point. There is no need to call Madagascar "French" because there is only one of it, regardless of who controls it. Unless there's another Madagascar somewhere I've missed all these years. Why not call Borneo "Dutch" Borneo etc. etc. etc.

The other matters are of course subjective, nevertheless India is appallingly treated in A&A - usually on account of shere ignorance, hence the anachronistic appearance of Pakistan. Do you really think the map looks AESTHETICALLY nice, apart from anything else, with France extending over northern Germany and Denmark?

I'm afraid Risk is a lost cause.