Professor Flashy's 20 Point Formula

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:04 am

Papua or Papau?! What's Papau anyway?! :)

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:59 pm

NO.10b - AXIS AND ALLIES GLOBAL EDITION

Update: latest map:

http://dodownload.filefront.com/8369990 ... 5655b6e5d4

Points deducted for:
5. no Pripet marsh
7. Bangladesh, much of Africa. Volgograd and Stalingrad are the SAME place. No logic to NB placement: TWO in New Guinea?
8. Madagascar, FWAfrica? Cannot date this map
9. Albania worth more than Romania??? Should be a major Urals centre with IC.
17. that silly fictional Russian symbol again! Why, why, why?
19. Hong Kong is a tiny island, not a large province.

SCORE: 14/20

Bigger score, thanks to corrections made to Western Europe and getting rid of that tiny text. Needs a definate date, and consequent corrections to West Africa. More care needed in naming territories; if using circles ONLY circles should be named after cities, i.e. no Novosibirsk, Madras etc. Hong Kong is a tiny island off China, not a huge province of China itself.
Last edited by Flashman on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:58 pm

Papua or Papau?! What's Papau anyway
another word for father... as in Papa.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

bobthefish

Post by bobthefish » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:10 pm

Flashman I've been thinking you have been persistent on the Siani Pennisula being part of Egypt. I have been thinking while reading a book about the Yom Kippur War and looking at the revised map and I have been thinking, maybe the reason the siani penninsula is part of Trans Jordan is because not only is the Siani Penninsula physically connected to Palestine and Near East Asia but also to reflect the fact that the Suez canal would have been used as a main deffensive line for the British if they had lost Egypt just as the Isralis used it against the Egyptians for several years to deter an invasion. I realize that historically its inacurate but it really makes since that they are seperate.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:59 pm

bobthefish wrote:Flashman I've been thinking you have been persistent on the Siani Pennisula being part of Egypt. I have been thinking while reading a book about the Yom Kippur War and looking at the revised map and I have been thinking, maybe the reason the siani penninsula is part of Trans Jordan is because not only is the Siani Penninsula physically connected to Palestine and Near East Asia but also to reflect the fact that the Suez canal would have been used as a main deffensive line for the British if they had lost Egypt just as the Isralis used it against the Egyptians for several years to deter an invasion. I realize that historically its inacurate but it really makes since that they are seperate.
I think the main reason you see this on so many maps is that it was so on the original A&A map, and was not corrected in Revised.
Most people use A&A official maps as the base reference for making their own board, rather than a historically accurate Atlas. It's the same as people placing Rio de Oro on the Guinea coast, or Moscow in the Urals.
Show them a real map of the world and they'll exclaim "but what is Moscow doing in Europe; surely that makes it too close to Germany?"
For me the appeal of a map and consequently the game it's played on diminishes markedly if I notice the map is more abstact than historical. I would have no interest in playing A&A on a chessboard.
I would argue that Geographically the Gulf of Aquaba is also a natural border, so why not go with what is historically true?

For me the whole challenge of map designing is to create something that is both interesting to play on but also as accurate as the chosen scale allows.

bobthefish

Post by bobthefish » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:53 pm

I deffinatly agree that most people that make the maps base it off the A&A maps. I think perhaps there should be some way to show the signifigance of the Suez as a deffensive line. There is no doubt that the British would have used it as a deffensive linie and a preperation area to attack back into Egypt if the Germans had been able to push them out of Egypt. I completly agree with you on the maps being based on the origonal and revised map issue.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:25 pm

rather than a historically accurate Atlas. It's the same as people placing Rio de Oro on the Guinea coast, or Moscow in the Urals.
I don't know why you maintain this notion. The reason is simple:

The map is too small and to allow the pieces in high density areas not to look like that old issue they had in Parker Brothers Risk... AKA 'The Congo problem'
They take liberties on the maps so that not only the final result is a half ass artwork, but a practical and useful area to play.

Rio De Oro is a neutral and i suspect its location serves some purpose respective to deny some movement trick. It plays no part in the game so its position is also useless information.

You should be more concerned with the Aesthetic of the map and how amateur it was drawn. Thats the only useful thing to worry about. The rest has only to do with the above. Its the reason why USA is really small and Europe is really large...

How hard it that to figure out???

I honestly don't know why its so difficult to clearly see whats going on.

It also does not matter about the Suez... as long as you need to control both sides to cross thats the only issue.

You cant expect accuracy on a family game made for children.. If you want accurate goto GMT.

...And please visit Rio De Oro soon.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:57 pm

Imperious leader wrote:
rather than a historically accurate Atlas. It's the same as people placing Rio de Oro on the Guinea coast, or Moscow in the Urals.
I don't know why you maintain this notion. The reason is simple:

The map is too small and to allow the pieces in high density areas not to look like that old issue they had in Parker Brothers Risk... AKA 'The Congo problem'
They take liberties on the maps so that not only the final result is a half ass artwork, but a practical and useful area to play.

Rio De Oro is a neutral and i suspect its location serves some purpose respective to deny some movement trick. It plays no part in the game so its position is also useless information.

You should be more concerned with the Aesthetic of the map and how amateur it was drawn. Thats the only useful thing to worry about. The rest has only to do with the above. Its the reason why USA is really small and Europe is really large...

How hard it that to figure out???

I honestly don't know why its so difficult to clearly see whats going on.

It also does not matter about the Suez... as long as you need to control both sides to cross thats the only issue.

You cant expect accuracy on a family game made for children.. If you want accurate goto GMT.

...And please visit Rio De Oro soon.
I fully acknowledge the need to distort the map to have a bigger Europe etc, and always do this myself. This is very different from putting entire countries or large cities thousands of miles from where they really are, or giving common borders to territories that have never been neighbours.

WHY is it necessary to have a two territory control of Suez?
Why not give Constantinople to Bulgaria to create the same effect with the Bosporus, or give eastern Panama to Venezuela?

Suez was entirely within Egypt; that's why the British set such great store on defending the country, and why Cairo is a VC on my map.

If you or anyone else can give me a single practical reason for the existence of Rio de Oro on the Revised map, let alone it's bizarre location in Guinea, I'd be very happy to give the place a visit. But which map do I use to get there? :?