Battle of the North Atlantic

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:55 pm

Anyhow, I now at the point of scraping this project. Yes, I have spent a great deal of time on it and have put in hours to develope it, but in the end I am not sure if it is really going to be interesting to play.

I mainly started this project just to created a better Europe Area map. But my interest in this has decreased over time.

Perhaps sometime I will contine work on this project. But for now, I am going to consider it on my shelf as a last thing to do.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:11 pm

Hey, don't give up!

By pooling information here we can all improve our work; I'm still learning stuff.
Yes it can be frustrating, but also very rewarding when something else clicks into place.

Matbe you could concentrate on a World map, which is actually easier to produce than a cut-oof theatre map where you have to deal with issues not covered by the map.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:31 am

Flashman wrote:Hey, don't give up!

By pooling information here we can all improve our work; I'm still learning stuff.
Yes it can be frustrating, but also very rewarding when something else clicks into place.

Matbe you could concentrate on a World map, which is actually easier to produce than a cut-oof theatre map where you have to deal with issues not covered by the map.
It is not so much the comments and critisms that have caused me to put this project on the shelf. It is because I lost interest. The amount of time I have aviable to work on things such as this is very limited and I perfer to use the time for more important things.

As for a world map, there is little chance that I will create one or expand my current one into a world one.

Mainly because I never really enjoyed or had much interest in the Pacific area of WWII. In Axis and Allies I always would play as Japan and it became boring quick because the whole beginning of the game was just constant expansion with almost no limits.

To represent the fighting of the pacific in relation to the Europe front is very hard. Most people I have played with hate having to go through Japan's turn as those areas are slower moving in the respect that land is not being swamped each turn.

I really do not have many problems with my Europe map, other than time constraints and a lack of interest for the most part. Map creating is an old past time. People know what is good and what is bad. There is very little work to be done to create a good map. The technique has been developed and I think it is time to move onto something better.

For example, 3D Boards with different levels. 1. A level for land units. 2. A level for subs. 3. A level for airplanes. Perhaps a different combat system (Not really related to the map though.)

I perfer to have more orginial ideas in my map. For example, values for the areas seems like an old concept. I need to think of something better.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:00 pm

Project is back on but.

Justified Ethical Suggestions welcomed.

All others will be ignored.

Updated map will be coming soon.

Thanks.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm

Need Suggestions on the following:

1. [s]Color for Italy. (So far not liking the red, think that Black could be better.[/s]

2. Links to sources with the historical names for African Zones. (Flashman this has your name written all over it.)

3. The round circle things for the nations of Spain, Sweden, and USSR

4. A graphic for a possible Infantry only place.

5. Others

Feedback will be appricated. Thanks.

**Update** Picked new color for Italy, new updated map. Can view it by going back to the orginial post of this thread.

Mimmo

Post by Mimmo » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:35 pm

Nuclear wrote:1. [s]Color for Italy. (So far not liking the red, think that Black could be better.[/s]
In my map I used the following colours for the Italians territories:
- metropolitan territories: the Italian boot and major islands Sicily and Sardinia CMYK C:60, M:51, Y:51, K:20;
- colonies: CMYK C:63, M:26, Y:39, K:1.

Low res preview:
http://www.siamdragontour.com/admin/mod ... educed.jpg
Nuclear wrote:2. Links to sources with the historical names for African Zones. (Flashman this has your name written all over it.)
I get all the required information browsing wikipedia and jumping link to link.
This is a preview of Africa in my redraw map. It is not finish yet.
http://www.siamdragontour.com/admin/mod ... educed.jpg

But I not find any Rio de Oro during WWII, just Spanish Sahara that I draw neutral as it was a Spanish colony.

Ciao, ciao.
Mimmo
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Member of http://axisandallies.forumup.it, the FIRST Italian Forum on the web

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:44 pm

Thanks. I think I nailed the Italy Color for myself.

But just wondering what CMYK is? As far as I know of, RGB is the way in which the color wheel is made from. As those are the 3 primary colors.

On an unrelated note. Birds on the other hand have 4 primary colors that they can see. Just thought that was interesting to point out.

As for the Africa areas. I still like to find a good source. I will try wikepida.
Thanks.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:53 am

Like the look of that new map; but I would suggest Croatia was rather bigger, as it absorbed the whole of Bosnia and extended further east (Slavonia).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independen ... of_Croatia

The "rump" of Yugoslavia is better termed Serbia. It really depends on the choice of keeping pre-1940 borders, or redrawing the Balkan region as the Axis did, with for example Northern Transylvania added to Hungary.

http://www.terra.es/personal7/jqvaraderey/194145fc.gif

For Africa I would of course suggest my map as a reference. The only name I'm not 100% sure about is Rio de Oro/Spanish Sahara/Western Sahara. Take your pick. If you want more territories than my map let me know which regions you need to add.

The Mimmo Africa: generally pretty accurate, but the following are slight corrections:

Kenya: this is better termed "British East Africa" as Kenya was only one part together with Uganda and Tanganyika/Zanzibar.

Namibia was known as "South-West Africa" at this time.

Congo-Brazzaville is correctly termed French (as opposed to Belgian) Congo. The border between the two Congos is inaccurate, but you may have deliberately drawn it thus.

Liberia is correct, but you may consider Sierra Leone as an alternative, as Freetown was an important allied base.

Upper Volta: Well, you live and learn. Apparently this colony was abolished in 1933 and only reappeared after the war. It was partitioned between it's three neighbours, Niger, Ivory Coast and French Soudan. I'll see if I can find a map on line, and may have to correct my map accordingly (I have it as part of IC).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Burkina_Faso

Tobruk: Frankly I dislike detaching territories just because they were important in the war. I would simply consider it part of Cyrenaica.

Bechuanaland is wrong, this is Rhodesia. This area needs redrawing, I would recombine the two Rhodesias and Nyassaland (Malawi) into British Central Africa.

It seems a little odd that you've divided Italian East Africa into it's constituent parts, but not for example British East Africa. Looks rather uneven.

Ports: Britain had an important base at Mobassa (Kenya) to which the Indian Ocean fleet removed after the Japanese threatened Ceylon.

Africa Map 1936:

http://www.zum.de/whkmla/histatlas/africa/afr1936.gif

Roundels: Spain and Sweden on my map are correct, but note that Spain changed back from the Nationalist white saltaire on black design in 1942, so this depends on the date of your map.
Soviet planes carried a simple Red Star design, outlined in white or yellow on camouflaged aircraft. As I've suggested elsewhere if you insist on a round design the Red Star looks OK in a black circle (but please don't put that silly hammer and sickle in there!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_air_forces

For infantry depots I've just put a small black circle, coloured for the appropriate nation, but this is just to save space so on a final version think of something more elegant.