Battle of the North Atlantic

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:52 pm

I'm sure I posted on the Northern Italy area some time ago, but maybe you were still unhappy about my comments at that time!

I would definately make it Piedmont and Lombardy, as I dislike territories named after towns. I would also suggest that both these areas should have ICs rather than Venice which is not an industrial city.

Mimmo is correct about then roundels; moreover you have a mixture of national flags (which as far as I know were never displayed in the roundel form) and aircraft insignia.

I like consistancy in this area, so I would suggest going with either all aircraft roundels (my map is a good reference) or all national flags, in which case they really should be the regular rectangular form.
Incidentally the USA roundel with bars did not appear 'till 1945.

Italy flag:

http://www.atlasgeo.net/fotw/flags/it-king.html

Note that not all versions have the crown above the Savoy arms.

General flag resourse:

http://www.atlasgeo.net/fotw/flags/search.html

When you get round to the rest of Africa remember to delete Upper Volta which didn't exist at this time, while the map I linked to will give you all the correct names.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:57 pm

The USA with the Bars looks cool to me. The main reason why I have it. Perhaps it did not come into existence until 1945. But there was an eariler version without the red bar that was before. Either way I may correct that as I am not a big fan of the Bars things the more I look at it.

I fixed Italy. As for another IC I may add it in.

As for an Italian, French, and Sweden Roundel. I am pretty happy with how they are right now. The look of the 3 axes has too much white in it, which contrasts too much with the colors of the rest of the game. It took me a while as it was to get the USSR to have a good looking Roundel.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:27 pm

OK, but I think the Fasces look cool, and a much better contrast with the French flag.

If Sweden has it's own flag I think Turkey deserves one; you have several options here:

National Flag: white crescent and star on red
WWII aircraft symbol: red square with white border
Modern roundel: red-white-red circles

What victory conditions do you have in mind? Bear in mind the problem with AAE; everything hingeing on Berlin and Moscow with the rest of the map almost irrelevent. Maybe victory cities, rather than IPCs is the way to make Africa more important on this map. If you want to add cities i would suggest Dakar and Lagos.

Reminders:

centre of spanish roundel is red
Guyana is British
southern Libya is Fezzan
Israel is Palestine
Volgorod is - what?

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:56 pm

Flashman wrote:OK, but I think the Fasces look cool, and a much better contrast with the French flag.

If Sweden has it's own flag I think Turkey deserves one; you have several options here:

National Flag: white crescent and star on red
WWII aircraft symbol: red square with white border
Modern roundel: red-white-red circles

What victory conditions do you have in mind? Bear in mind the problem with AAE; everything hingeing on Berlin and Moscow with the rest of the map almost irrelevent. Maybe victory cities, rather than IPCs is the way to make Africa more important on this map. If you want to add cities i would suggest Dakar and Lagos.

Reminders:

centre of spanish roundel is red
Guyana is British
southern Libya is Fezzan
Israel is Palestine
Volgorod is - what?
Thanks about the Spanish Roundel thing
My one Russian Terriority has a typo. Should be: This Volgograd

Guyana thanks for pointing that out.

As for Southern Libya I will look into that.

The reason why Palestine is Israel, is because Israel is shorter in the amount of characters and fits into the space. The name Palestine is too long

Sweden to my knowledge has the blue circle with a yellow boarder and yellow crowns in it.

As for Turkey I have not decided on one for that yet.

Victory condictions is definitly not going to include any sort of Victory Cities. I hate Victory cities and they are meaningless. Stalingrad and Leningrade were both destroyed and yet this really had no impact. It was the battles.

I have been thinking of implanting a new sort of victory system. One in which a player gets points for doing certain objectives.
German points:
1. Takes Moscow and destroys the lines of communication to all Russian Soldiers - 2 Points
2. Destroyes the RAF - 3 Points
3. For every 20 IPCs sunk on its way to England, France, or the USSR - 2 Points
4. If all British Convoy's are held by Germany for 3 turns, UK surrenders.
Italy Points
1. Unite Eastern and Northern African Empire - 3 Points
2. Control the Med sea - 2 Points

USA Points
1. For every 20 IPCs sent to either France, England, or the USSR - 2 Points

USSR
1. Take Eastern Europe - 3 Points

Another idea is just have it that you have to completly take over the enemy. I do not like the idea of taking a capital and you get all of the IPCs and the person can nolonger build. I am going to be making a fix to that current idea. In my game, taking a capital just means that the person experiences some limited functions, not losing.
Last edited by Nuclear on Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:34 pm

Actually Velogard should be Belogord

Most likely I got the name off a map with poor resoluation and I read the letters wrong. Yup

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:45 pm

Here is my version on how Bombers and Artillery are really going to work in my map.

Artillery is like a submarine but only land. It gets first strike ability and automatically removes casulaties. This should make it interesting as usally in battles the enemy would open up with a big barrage of artillery fire. Example, Russians did so on the start of the counter attack and Russia always in general uses large amount of artillery.

Bombers I am still thinking about.

Anyhow new round of questions for people:
Would it be better if I had more convoy zones? If so where at? Would it be good to have convoy zones worth 1 IPC or 2 IPCs?

Should Italy have a Convoy box and if so where would I put it?

Mimmo

Post by Mimmo » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:39 am

Nuclear wrote:Artillery is like a submarine but only land. It gets first strike ability and automatically removes casulaties. This should make it interesting as usally in battles the enemy would open up with a big barrage of artillery fire. Example, Russians did so on the start of the counter attack and Russia always in general uses large amount of artillery.
Great! This is the same use of artillery that I have introduced in my game. I'm playing the first game test and it looks like work good and I think that this is the real use of the land artillery.
Nuclear wrote:Should Italy have a Convoy box and if so where would I put it?
Yes, Italy should have Convoy box because the main duty of our Navy during WWII was ensure the supply line from Italy to Libya in order to refurbish the Afrika Korps.
I think that 1 Convoy box should be enough and you can place it somewhere between Italian boot and Tripoli and Benghazi ports.

Ciao, ciao.
Mimmo
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Member of http://axisandallies.forumup.it, the FIRST Italian Forum on the web

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:50 am

Mimmo wrote:Great! This is the same use of artillery that I have introduced in my game. I'm playing the first game test and it looks like work good and I think that this is the real use of the land artillery.
Glad to know that we agree. Keep me informed on how the play testing goes.

Mimmo wrote:Yes, Italy should have Convoy box because the main duty of our Navy during WWII was ensure the supply line from Italy to Libya in order to refurbish the Afrika Korps.
I think that 1 Convoy box should be enough and you can place it somewhere between Italian boot and Tripoli and Benghazi ports.

Ciao, ciao.
Mimmo
I remember about reading that. However when the Italians lost control of the Med. sea they still transported units via air transports.

Since my space is pretty limited in the Med sea I was thinking of the following. Please tell me what you thing.
1. Move the Britsh Convoy Box over to the Right.
2. Create an Air/Naval Convoy route box or line for Italy worth around 2 IPCs or so. This line or box would be takeable by air units and/or sea units. Fighters and bombers could "land in the spot" technically. This could even increase the fighter battles over the Med. sea espically in that area to ensure the supply of goods from one point to another.

The only concern is space. My convoy box is 1.25 Inches by about 3/4 of an Inch. I doubt that I could really make it any smaller since getting ships in there would become a problem.

Another possible solution is to outline a sea zone perhaps in a dotted line and give it value. Perhaps put in the worlds, Italian Convoy - 2 IPCs or something like that. In addition I could also do the same with the British one in the Med Sea.

Just some thoughts.