Battle of the North Atlantic

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:37 pm

This is a Europe map I did a while ago - including Italian convoy. Note that for earlier scenarios the German med convoy is French (i.e. it connects France to it's north African colonies). The Congo convoy was also French.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/8479/ ... Player.gif

Volgagrad IS Stalingrad, i.e. when Stalin was disgraced they changed the name to Volgograd, so there's no way this should be on a WWII map. Kursk would be OK here, but Tula also really belongs in this territory. Sverdlovsk is too far west, it is east of Perm.
You've also doubled up Belarus/Belorussia; the north eastern one needs a new name.

The northern provinces of Iran were USSR occupied, not UK.

In reference to the "Fascist Europe" map I posted, Croatia and Serbia
would be better than e/w Yugoslavia, with Croatia somewhat bigger.

Lower Egypt I think I mentioned before, this term refers to the lower Nile which is in southern Egypt

The many names in Africa you might like to correct can be taken from the map I posted, which is entirely correct for WWII.

I entirely agree with your artillery rule, I've long had the rule that artillery can either fire into adjacent areas as opening fire OR move with attacking forces, but not both.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:02 pm

Flashman wrote:This is a Europe map I did a while ago - including Italian convoy. Note that for earlier scenarios the German med convoy is French (i.e. it connects France to it's north African colonies). The Congo convoy was also French.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/8479/ ... Player.gif
Thanks for the idea/suggestion. I am still looking into the best way of accomplishing what I want to have done.
Volgagrad IS Stalingrad, i.e. when Stalin was disgraced they changed the name to Volgograd, so there's no way this should be on a WWII map. Kursk would be OK here, but Tula also really belongs in this territory. Sverdlovsk is too far west, it is east of Perm.
You've also doubled up Belarus/Belorussia; the north eastern one needs a new name.
I corrected the Volgagrad thing a while back. My fault for not posting an updated map yet.

Belarus and Belorussia are just names that I needed to fill a space. Perhaps I got them from a bad reference map. Finding names for areas in Russia is a hard thing to do.
The northern provinces of Iran were USSR occupied, not UK.
Well I drew Iran pretty much from its current day boarders. Either way I doubt moving the line down an inch is going to have an effect on game play. I suppose if I knew where the line was, I could divide Iran and give the northern part to the USSR. But I do not have that information at this time.
In reference to the "Fascist Europe" map I posted, Croatia and Serbia
would be better than e/w Yugoslavia, with Croatia somewhat bigger.
Lower Egypt I think I mentioned before, this term refers to the lower Nile which is in southern Egypt
Incorrect. Lower Egypt is in the North, Upper Egypt is in the South. It is reversed. Here is my source: Here and if that is not clear enough, here is another one which makes it very clear that I am correct. Here 2
The many names in Africa you might like to correct can be taken from the map I posted, which is entirely correct for WWII.
I will be taking a look at that more. So far I have been trying to spend most of my time getting down the important game breaking aspects of the map first. Names and other stuff that is minor will come later. However please keep reminding me if I do forget.
I entirely agree with your artillery rule, I've long had the rule that artillery can either fire into adjacent areas as opening fire OR move with attacking forces, but not both.
Thanks
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:43 pm

Okay updated the map:

Changed on the orginial first post of the thread and you can click here also for it: Here
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:05 pm

Great scan, the changes are really making a difference.

Technically, the Turkish square design is correct for WWII, while the French roundel should be a dart-board design, but maybe you think this is too close to the UK roundel.

I can't find a map anywhere of the partition of Iran, but the Soviets did control the important northern areas including Tabriz and Teheran where they set up puppet Soviet Republics.

Yes, I messed up on Egypt; lower Egypt is of course the Nile delta region, Upper is the southern half, but your Lower Egypt really should just be Western Egypt.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:35 pm

Thanks Flashman.

Anyhow I have done some thinking. I was thinking of having certain areas having a certain resource. Resources would be: Wood, Iron, and Oil.

Having that resource allows you to build certain units. Losing that terrority and you nolonger can build that unit.

I think this would give a whole new strategy to the game instead of just take the capital as taking areas worth resources would hinder the enemy.

Infantry - Require Nothing
Artillery - Requires Iron
Tanks - Require Iron and Oil
Fighters - Require Oil and Wood or Iron (Germans made a lot of airplanes out of Wood)
Bombers - Same as Fighters

Something along those lines. Of course the terrorities have to be specially picked to ensure that you can starve off the enemy by just taking a few areas.

Just an idea at this time. Tell me what you think.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:12 pm

Problem is the Allies would start off with virtually all the natural resourses. Even in 1940/41 Germany was heavily dependent on imports from Russia for raw materials, and since much of this came from the areas they didn't eventually occupy it is often sited as a reason Germany was worse off for invading Russia than trading with it under the Hitler-Stalin pact, even though a large slice of Russian industrial area was captured. You still need the raw materials to process in your industrial base...
You'd have to give Germany and Italy large initial stockpiles to give them a chance.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:24 pm

I was not thinking of having stockpiles. Just a terrority that has that resource. Otherwise the game would become more micro management.

The more I think about it, the less I like it.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:59 pm

Map Updated