Staghound's map

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
Staghound

Staghound's map

Post by Staghound » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi guys,

Wanted to share some pictures of my A&A based game:

Started working on the game together with my brother almost twenty years ago now.

We made our own rules, map and playing pieces and have been fine-tuning the game-balance for the last five years.

The game starts on september the first, 1939.

Practically every country and island of the world is represented on our map (which took us about two years to create) and all borders and country names on the map are exactly the same as they were on september 1939.

The game has to be played for at least two days to find out which side is winning, so we're quite proud of our game-balance.

We like to call it: Axis & Allies for grown-ups.

I'll post a better picture of it soon.

Take care,

Staghound
Last edited by Staghound on Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Brilliant!

I would like to see the actual file and take a closer look. Those pics are real grainny. I cant even see if the ships are wooden blocks or metals...

please more close ups

and please email me the files. i have many questions

Most striking is the seazones... they are so irregular..i wondering what was the strategy for how they were drawn up?
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:41 pm

Great map, the dimensions are?

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:28 pm

Could be a high scorer as it seems well researched.

Rio de Oro in the right place!

Peru/Ecuador border may not be correct for 1939

You lose a point for India, mind.

It looks wierd to have a huge undivided FWA and yet include tiny backlots like Portuguese Guinea. I mean how often do players invade Bhutan? Does it really need to be there?

You've not distorted the map so Europe is very small; have you included San Marino, Liechtenstein and Andorra? There have to be compromises with gameplay, so sometimes large countries need to be divided up, irrelevant small countries absorbed into large neighbours.

So lets have a full map scan so I can get the Flashometer to work on this one.

Staghound

Post by Staghound » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:31 am

Imperious Leader,

All ‘hardware’ units are made of wood or plastics (handsawn and handpainted.)

The soldiers are all bought and are all historically accurate, except for the Chinese (I’m still waiting for them to come out).
Some of them are true collector’s items (like the soldiers from Matchbox and Atlantic or the WWII leaders from Roco.)

The diagonal sea borders are there because we wanted to base a lot of our sea zone movements on Zeno’s WaW and this had to be combined with our new map’s land borders.

Also, we didn’t like straight angled sea borders.
Movement (range) in A&A is very unrealistic (because it’s manipulated by borders, instead of hexes), but can therefore be also very dynamic and often quite surprising (‘Hey, I can reach it with my bomber!’)
We wanted to have that same ‘feeling’ at sea.

Besides that, we really like the ‘shattered’ look of the map.
It looks like someone kicked in the window that looks out on WWII.

Dagon81,

Thanks for the compliments!
IIRC, the size is 120cm x 250cm.

Flashman,

Río de Oro was called Spanish Sahara back then and why shouldn’t it be in the right place?
Peru/Equador border is correct (according to the Oxford Companion to the Second World War.)

About the smaller countries/colonies:

The question is not: does it really need to be there?
The fun fact is that it is there.

You would be amazed how threatening a tiny ‘backlot’ like Portuguese Guinea can be if it falls into the wrong hands.
These colonies can all be influenced/invaded, so you have to stay alert.
Would be a shame to miss that thrill, wouldn’t it?

Also, a lot of the islands form excellent landing spots for enemy aircraft.
They can carry out their often deadly missions, because they are able to land on those seemingly useless little spots.

In short: these tiny pieces of land add a lot to the movement dynamics of the game.

Europe is small indeed, but if the Red Army wants to bed & breakfast in Luxembourg we put a little dice on it.
The number on the dice corresponds with a number on the boxes you see on both sides of the map.
It works great, but is not used very often.

We had to make some concessions, though:

The inner Russian borders are post-war, but 100% correct.

Also, we left out the tiny countries that are of the ‘same nationality’ as the country that surrounds them (French Togoland, Swaziland and Basutoland come to mind) and we divided China up into the original provinces (of which some are merged, but mentioned) for better gameplay, which is also the reason for not splitting up India and the US.

We thought about Liechtenstein and Andorra, but decided to merge them with Switzerland and Spain.
I still regret leaving out Macao, Ifni and Cabinda, though…

Unfortunately, I still don’t own a scan-file of the map.
The original, hand drawn map was scanned, enlarged and matt-laminated in two pieces by a company who asked a lot of money for the scan-file, so I decided not to buy it.
I can always scan it another time, when I want to make a new version of our map (which will be printed as a one piece, full-colour, outdoor banner.)

Soon I will post a better picture of the map (the ones above were taken with a cellphone without flash.)

Take care,

Staghound

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:39 am

How can I post some images of my map? do I have to create an account in photobucket for exemple? :?:

Its still in development phase... but It gives a picture of the idea.

elbowmaster

web hosting and picture posting

Post by elbowmaster » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:49 am

I have plenty of space on my webserver and as always, am happy to assist in storing / posting your maps for Larry's site. If you hover your mouse pointer over the "Img" above, you will see the syntax on how to post "special" things ie fonts, quotes...etc etc...

send me a copy to elbowsanchez@elbowmaster.com

here is a copy and paste of the example

Insert image: [img]http://image_url[/img] (alt+p)

EM

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:38 pm

Ok :) Thanks a lot. I sent an image of the board in development, many things to do still... :)