Staghound's map

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
Staghound

Post by Staghound » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:20 pm

Thanks for the compliments, Flashman.

Unfortunately I can't take any pictures of an empty map right now.
The ones posted were taken by one of the other players during our last meeting.
It's our tradition to play this game in a small wooden cottage right near my parents house and the game is too big to take with me each time we play, so the map is out of my reach at the moment.

However, I can say something about the territory values in Europe:

UK: 8
France: 6
Vichy France: 2 (the present Vichy border will be activated when France falls)
Belgium: 2
Luxembourg: 1
Germany: 10
Slovakia: 1
Prussia: 1
Poland: 3
Switzerland: 2
Italy: 4

Moscow: 4 (yep, that's right)
Caucasus: 3
Georgia: 2
Belo-Russia: 1
Ural: 3
Soviet Far East: 1

Japan: 8

About Europe being (too) small:

It's the choice we made.

We decided to use the Mercator projection, because we wanted a 'realistic' view of the world, in good scale proportions (not a tiny South America and a huge Japan, for example).

Whenever it gets too crowded (and you have to believe me: this only happens once or twice a day), we place a mini die on the country of which the number corresponds with the number on one of the blow-up boxes at the side of the map.

It works great (especially with more than one nationality on a country).
In fact: I can give all map makers the advice to do it like this.

If you have any questions left, please ask.

Take care,

Staghound

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:30 pm

You're pushing it a bit giving Luxembourg an IPC value. Netherlands alone must be worth 20 times as much.

I need to see the Soviet symbol: if you've used the fake MB roundel I'm afraid it has to be another point off!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, dear, what's that I can see peeking out from 'neath Moscow's industrial complex?

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:21 pm

Flashman wrote:You're pushing it a bit giving Luxembourg an IPC value. Netherlands alone must be worth 20 times as much.

I need to see the Soviet symbol: if you've used the fake MB roundel I'm afraid it has to be another point off!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, dear, what's that I can see peeking out from 'neath Moscow's industrial complex?
Seriously give it a rest. Who cares what symbol someone uses? Surely this person's map does not depend on something so trivial as this. The map looks good better than yours Flashman. Not sure about how the game plays but does look good. And for Luxembourg perhaps making it 1 IPC makes it a hot zone of some sorts. I do not know Staghound's reason for it, so until he gives one I would withold any judgement about that.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Staghound

Post by Staghound » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:26 am

It's actually quite simple: Luxembourg really was worth that much.

In fact: by looking at the raw material figures, it was even worth more than the Netherlands back in the late thirties.

There used to be quite some important iron mining back then (Gutland).

8)

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:42 pm

Luxembourg worth more than the Netherlands?

Well, you could knock me down with a feather.

Anyhow on my map I combine Benelux into "Netherlands", which is not incorrect as they were formerly the United Netherlands before Belgium broke up the party.

Staghound

Post by Staghound » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:59 am

Flashman wrote:Anyhow on my map I combine Benelux into "Netherlands", which is not incorrect as they were formerly the United Netherlands before Belgium broke up the party.
In 1830...

Benelux was formed in 1944. :wink:

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:04 pm

Staghound wrote:
Flashman wrote:Anyhow on my map I combine Benelux into "Netherlands", which is not incorrect as they were formerly the United Netherlands before Belgium broke up the party.
In 1830...

Benelux was formed in 1944. :wink:
Well yes, it's acceptable to use a redundant name if there is no contemporary one, but I can never accept the use of as yet unused terms such as Pakistan or Zaire.