Staghound's map

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
Flashman

Post by Flashman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:30 pm

Dagon81 wrote:Ok :) Thanks a lot. I sent an image of the board in development, many things to do still... :)
Great! I'm getting the flashometer warmed up in readiness. :lol:

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:51 pm

Staghound wrote: Flashman,

Río de Oro was called Spanish Sahara back then and why shouldn’t it be in the right place?

Peru/Equador border is correct (according to the Oxford Companion to the Second World War.)

About the smaller countries/colonies:

The question is not: does it really need to be there?
The fun fact is that it is there.

You would be amazed how threatening a tiny ‘backlot’ like Portuguese Guinea can be if it falls into the wrong hands.
These colonies can all be influenced/invaded, so you have to stay alert.
Would be a shame to miss that thrill, wouldn’t it?

Also, a lot of the islands form excellent landing spots for enemy aircraft.
They can carry out their often deadly missions, because they are able to land on those seemingly useless little spots.

In short: these tiny pieces of land add a lot to the movement dynamics of the game.

Europe is small indeed, but if the Red Army wants to bed & breakfast in Luxembourg we put a little dice on it.
The number on the dice corresponds with a number on the boxes you see on both sides of the map.
It works great, but is not used very often.

We had to make some concessions, though:

The inner Russian borders are post-war, but 100% correct.

Also, we left out the tiny countries that are of the ‘same nationality’ as the country that surrounds them (French Togoland, Swaziland and Basutoland come to mind) and we divided China up into the original provinces (of which some are merged, but mentioned) for better gameplay, which is also the reason for not splitting up India and the US.

We thought about Liechtenstein and Andorra, but decided to merge them with Switzerland and Spain.
I still regret leaving out Macao, Ifni and Cabinda, though…

Staghound
I make the point about Rio de Oro because so many mapmakers (in fact the vast majority) DO get it wrong, usually putting it on the Guinea coast, simply because the official map makes this mistake. I was using it here as an example of how accurate your map is. But it WAS called Rio de Oro until 1969 when it became officially part of Spanish Sahara.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%ADo_de_Oro

How about adding Cabo Juby? :D

However regarding Peru, your map is incorrect for 1939. A sizeable chunk of Ecuador was annexed by Peru in 1942, leaving the boundary as you have shown it. For 1939 Ecuador should have a border with Brazil.

http://www.ericjlyman.com/mercators2.html

Unfortunately I can't find a clear map of this on the web.

I'm still not convinced anyone would want to invade Bhutan or Port Guinea, but at least you have the rational defence of them being historically correct, so fair play to you there.

I entirely agree about apparently insignificant island groups; my map also has many of these as they may each become vital staging posts depending on different scenarios.

Just don't like blow-up boxes, so for me exaggerating the size of Europe will always be the way to go with this problem.

By the way, late WWI Germans are a good match for Chinese Nat. infantry, while Imex Korean War figs are pretty accurate for the Communists.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Rev ... X&code=531

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:56 pm

Staghound, I have a question: In the arabian peninsula you have included many countries or states/kingdoms, am I right? Besides Aden, Bahrain and Yemen what else? Oman?

In such a World map, how many players should it support? 5 powers and Vichy France/Free France and China? Does it make sense to play with Australia and Canada alone?

What about Dutch and Belgium colonies? Join the Commonwealth?

I believe the hardest task in such a map is to separate China and Russia in territories as there are so many and lots of them dont make sense to be alone and have to be merged with other.

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:21 pm

Flashman wrote:
Dagon81 wrote:Ok :) Thanks a lot. I sent an image of the board in development, many things to do still... :)
Great! I'm getting the flashometer warmed up in readiness. :lol:

eheheh

At least I placed Rio de Oro in the right place!!! Staghound and I must have been in the same Geography class lol :D

But...many mini countries are present as well - Bhutan for exemple! Every country has its own defence force so in a really large board almost every country makes sense to be present. Im with Staghound in this one.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:20 pm

Go ahead, but you'll both lose a point under the "Postage Stamp Republics" criteria. On a map which by it's nature will always be pushed for space, why clutter up the map with territories nobody would ever think of invading?

Staghound

Post by Staghound » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:38 am

Flashman,

You really shouldn't rely too much on Wikipedia.
Rio de Oro WAS called Spanish Sahara back then (again: Oxford Companion to the Second World War.)
For Wikipedia fans:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Sahara

About Equador/Peru:
Though discutable, we decided to use the Status Quo border line arranged in 1936.

BTW: late WWI Germans certainly isn't a bad idea for 1939 China, but I contacted Ceasar Miniatures and they told me their WWII Chinese infantry set
will be released by the end of this year, so I will wait for that one to come out.

Dagon81,

Yemen
Aden Protectorate
Trucial Oman
Oman
Qatar
Kuwait

We mostly play with 4 players:

1) UK/France/US
2) Germany/Italy
3) Russia/China
4) Japan

Take care,

Staghound
Last edited by Staghound on Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:23 am

I realy dont know what to do with middle east... I see many versions...

Aden Proctetorate is a small territory in this one and Oman doesnt even exist...

Then:

and again...

This leaves us...where?! :? :?: :?: :?: lol

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:41 pm

wikpedia is made up of halftruths. most of it is garbage and a few noteworthy moments. It should only be a guideline at best.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.