Nuclear's Map Ranking system (Based off Rational Reasoning)

Show off your A&A photographs and Game maps.
Nuclear

Nuclear's Map Ranking system (Based off Rational Reasoning)

Post by Nuclear » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:08 pm

In this thread you will find maps ranked not by personal perference but instead by rational thought. This means that my rankings will include a detailed logical rational behind them. This will become clear as I start to rank maps in this thread. (Note that this thread will be updated as to rank the maps in comparison to one another.)

Things to base rank on:
1. Does the map look good. Justification for this is that the game is suppose to be fun and having a cool looking map means it could produce more happiness for some individuals.

2. Play value. Does the map seem to just have one way of playing or are there many different ways to move the troops and do things? Is every game going to be different when you play it (excluding dice).

3. Is it orginial? In other words does it use some new ideas, concepts, or areas.

Each of those areas is worth 33 points. 1 Point will be award for having a cool name for the name.

World Maps
Flashman's Maps
1. 25
2. 15
3. 30
75/100
(http://66.125.84.108/web1/flashman/1940 ... 940feb.jpg)
Dagon81's Map
1. 30
2. 20
3. 10
60/100
My Big World Map
1. 11
2. 20
3. 4
35/100

Maps of the Europe Area
Battle of the North Altantic - 75/100

Hex Maps
Imperious Leader's Map - 90/100 (http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=892)
Last edited by Nuclear on Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 11 times in total.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:22 pm

My Big World Map

http://h1.ripway.com/Nuclear/AARMyBoardV3.PNG

The Major 3 Axis Powers are represented in the game. Those being German, Japan, and Italy. A change from some of the other maps that only have Germany and Japan. This not only fragments the Axis powers a little, it adds new dynamics into the game. Germany appears not to be focused so much with the Med. Sea and Africa.

The USSR front is not geographically accurate. Despite this, there still appears to be a wide area for the USSR and Germany to fight. Not to mention that the area seems to increase as Germany gets closer to Moscow. Such is geographically correct if one is to look at a world's map.

The Asian area along with India is nicely broken up. Not sure about the ICs but the zones appear to be done rather well.

America and the UK are broken up into multiple zones which should allow for a more possible invasion of these areas.

Europe is distorted along with lines which define some of the areas.

Austrial is accurately represented in terms of its sub-areas.

Even though the map is inaccurate in terms of geography and some other minor details, I am not so sure if those really have an effect on game play.

If I had to assign a point value to it. I would have to give it a 35/100 for the reasons that it does incorporate some very good ideas such as Italy and what appears to be a divided China. But there are negatives. Are all of those naval spots really needed? Same with the land spots? Is there really any value or effect to having them? As you increase the amount of spaces there is a direct relationship to the length of the game. Thus this game could take hours to play before one side gains the upper hand.

Hence 35/100.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:30 pm

Here is another map which is a project in process but appears to be close to done so I will give it a temporary value/ranking: http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1444

Note the detailed Europe area which is not distorted or appear to be so. Very accurate and nice looking. Almost looks a history text book map in a way from High School. Even Africa looks pretty well made.

The creator discribed what the convoy routes do and the idea is one of a kind. What a good way to show the aid that the USA was sending over to the UK and the USSR.

The colors choosen on the map seem to be pretty nice. The tones do not seem to be over bearing or too bright. Looks like the map/project has a ton of potential and may become a really good map.

Since it is not done I will give it a 75/100 out for the time being. This map just seems accurate in the geographical outlines of a lot of the areas.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:43 pm

Very modest of you to review your own maps...

That World Map is hilarious if you look at it in detail -
TWO Rio de Oros!
Kharkov in Siberia!
Ho Chi Minh city!
Bavaria in Hungary!
Scotland and Ireland connected by a land bridge!
3 Archangels!
3 Novosibirsks!
Southern Caucasus north of the Caucasus!
Bangkok in Burma!

For an unbiased view see review no: 2 here:
http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/view ... 43&start=0

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Here is a thread which shows some work from Flashman: http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1420

First off, I like the Key feature at the top. Explains somethings for people. Perhaps this makes it easier for not as expierenced players to pick up on what everything is.

The Eastern Front is a little of a problem. With such little zones present in that area it seems as if a stacking issue would come into play where the Germans and the UK-USSR become stalemated, which leads to an uneventful boring game. A build up of infantry will come about from both sides and hours will be wasted of your time.

On the other hand when looking at Asia China appears to be of a bigger concern for Japan, which might make the game more fun for the Japan player as they could be swamping area(s) with the Chinese. Also looks as if China is divided. I guess this gives some room for the Japan player to do something. Not completely sure thought. India is also nicely divided. Which should make it take longer for Japan to conquer if Japan decides to go for it.

I am not sure what the Deserts do in this map. But if they hinder movement or are impassible this is not good. Armies crossed the deserts all of the time. For example in Africa the Germans would just keep going south more in order to flank the British and drive them back to Egypt.

Winter appears to play a role in the map. If one were to study history it was the Russian mud that stopped the movement of tanks and supplies to the German front lines. Once the ground froze the Germans were better able to advance. Yes they did not have enough clothing and other things but the winter allowed them movement.

I also do not see any rational reason as to why there is a naval base in the Caspsian Sea. Seems like a waste to me, espically since it is one spot naval zone. Who is going to build a naval ship for that area?

Other than that the map looks like could be worth a try and could provide fun to the player. Hence a 75/100. I specifically based my comments of this map of his in particular: http://66.125.84.108/web1/flashman/1940 ... 940feb.jpg

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:00 pm

Now here is cool nice looking map: http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1467

Must admit that the thing has nice boarders for the areas and is pleasing to the eye. This looks as if it came from a real world map. But does that mean that the map has a lot of play value? Sure looks good, nice colors and boarders and what not. Even has a great Asia area. But is Europe going to be fun to play in? Not sure. It has an interesting new Eastern Front look but not sure how it will play out. Italy is in the game but to my knowledge Italy did not control all of Yugoslavia.

Have to wait until a final version is posted. But for the time being I will give it a 60/100 just because looks does not always mean great game play. And because it is not completely done. So this is just a temporary rank.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:11 pm

Here is a very interesting different type of map with hexagons: http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=892

This is completely different in concept and hence orginial. Pretty cool looking too if I may so myself. Looks like tatics is huge in the game with holding a battle line along with things such as railroads and other important areas.

This looks like it could be a lot of fun. Even takes into effect the Russian Mud which was prior to the Winter.

For this type of map I am ranking it as 90/100. I do not have an overview of the whole thing but it looks good from what I can see. Looks likes every game will be different and a lot of flexability exists within the game.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:18 pm

To answer some specific points:

All these maps are based on the assumption that something along the lines of a "Soviet Xenophobia" rule will be employed, whereby no UK/US units are allowed on Soviet territory.

The Caspian naval base is to allow transport of units/lend-lease money/fuel by sea and hence more quickly via the Caspian sea from Iran. Historical research shows this to have been a vital Allied supply line.

India is deliberately divided to reflect the difficulty the Japanese would have had. It is very silly to depict that they could have conquered India in just one battle! To be fair this is something you got absolutely correct on your World map as I pointed out in the review.

I will update my files with a 1940 version of the new map in the coming weeks.
Nuclear wrote:Here is a thread which shows some work from Flashman: http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1420

First off, I like the Key feature at the top. Explains somethings for people. Perhaps this makes it easier for not as expierenced players to pick up on what everything is.

The Eastern Front is a little of a problem. With such little zones present in that area it seems as if a stacking issue would come into play where the Germans and the UK-USSR become stalemated, which leads to an uneventful boring game. A build up of infantry will come about from both sides and hours will be wasted of your time.

On the other hand when looking at Asia China appears to be of a bigger concern for Japan, which might make the game more fun for the Japan player as they could be swamping area(s) with the Chinese. Also looks as if China is divided. I guess this gives some room for the Japan player to do something. Not completely sure thought. India is also nicely divided. Which should make it take longer for Japan to conquer if Japan decides to go for it.

I am not sure what the Deserts do in this map. But if they hinder movement or are impassible this is not good. Armies crossed the deserts all of the time. For example in Africa the Germans would just keep going south more in order to flank the British and drive them back to Egypt.

Winter appears to play a role in the map. If one were to study history it was the Russian mud that stopped the movement of tanks and supplies to the German front lines. Once the ground froze the Germans were better able to advance. Yes they did not have enough clothing and other things but the winter allowed them movement.

I also do not see any rational reason as to why there is a naval base in the Caspsian Sea. Seems like a waste to me, espically since it is one spot naval zone. Who is going to build a naval ship for that area?

Other than that the map looks like could be worth a try and could provide fun to the player. Hence a 75/100. I specifically based my comments of this map of his in particular: http://66.125.84.108/web1/flashman/1940 ... 940feb.jpg